Purely academic - Valve terminology and selection guide

  • Trid
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 2, 2008
      Just a bit of information regarding various control valves. It can be useful
      for following technical converstations/topics as well as background information
      for more advanced tinkering.

      http://www.kele.com/olcat/CV12/Valve_Selection_Terminology.pdf

      Trid
      -ever tinkering
    • mavnkaf
      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 11, 2008
        Thanks Riku and Arsene for the replys, abit a late I know.

        I got a quick question about the AFC tube size and the length of the
        tube, when it is inside the 50 mm x 800 mm column, just keep in mind
        the still will be only used as a continuous wash stripper for low
        wines aiming for about 65%, I hope.

        Cheers
        Marc

        "abbababbaccc" <abbababbaccc@...>

        You make a doughnut out of a potscrubber and put that around the AFC
        pipe and push it down. In case of AFC you need to be able to open the
        column from top and from bottom to achieve proper packing. You could
        use copper mesh as well but SS potsrcubbers will not corrode.

        Cheers, Riku

        …………………………………………………………………

        "Arsene Lupin" <ragnagna75012@...>

        Continuous columns are difficult to design and understand, I suggest
        you implement ARC & AFC in the continuous column once you are
        aquainted with the basics. Moreover there is a sizing issue.
        Build you stripper, see the ABV you can get with 100C in the boiler
        with your desired wash flow. THEN you may implement ARC & AFC.

        I would like to add that continuous strippers are interesting because
        they allow for energy reuse which seems like a point of design often
        overlooked. If you dont reuse energy, the benefit is very limited,
        you'll trade boiler size for column height, aquarium pump and a lot of
        headache.

        About packing, the AFC may be more or less intrusive but will allow
        packing (just push the scrubbers from the other side of the tube).
      • abbababbaccc
        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 12, 2008
          8mm pipe, 80cm long has been tested in one meter column (IIRC)-

          Cheers, Riku

          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "mavnkaf" <mavnkaf@...> wrote:

          > Thanks Riku and Arsene for the replys, abit a late I know.
          >
          > I got a quick question about the AFC tube size and the length of the
          > tube, when it is inside the 50 mm x 800 mm column, just keep in mind
          > the still will be only used as a continuous wash stripper for low
          > wines aiming for about 65%, I hope.
          >
          > Cheers
          > Marc

        • mavnkaf
          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 17, 2008
            Thanks Riku, I thought it may have been 8 mm because I've read you
            used 8 mm for the ARC set up.

            Now for the next step of the feed tank, which I think I have got
            worked out. I'm going to preheat the wash to 40 c with a fish tank
            heater and use a small float valve (for gravity feed), that I found at
            a pet store, its low pressure and deals with low volumes of water or in
            my case, wash.

            Cheers
            Marc