filtering verses stripping run

  • jrwme
    Message 1 of 3 , May 31, 2008
      Hi all, just to share,

      In the past I have run a stripping run followed by a spirits run.
      This, while slow, produced a quite neutral spirit, only requiring a
      little carbon filter when I wanted a top tasting Vodka.

      A couple of weeks ago I picked up a 6 plate wine filtering system
      (like this one
      http://www.winequip.com.au/Home+Winemaking+and+Brewing_Filtration.html?PHPSESSID=e05a19d488e07c400d5de0c9f3ff342b
      )for a song.

      I now run my wash through the 0.2 micron filter and go straight to the
      spirit run. The output of the filtering is clear like water, unless I
      have molasses in the wash, then I get a filtrate like tea. I am
      finding that I get a very neutral spirit that requires no carbon
      filtering. Overall, my runs now take less time (no striping run and no
      carbon)although the filtering take around 3 hours for a 50L wash

      Just my 2 cents, Regards

      Jerry
    • Arsene Lupin
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 2, 2008
        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "jrwme" <jrwme@...> wrote:

        > Hi all, just to share,
        >
        > In the past I have run a stripping run followed by a spirits run.
        > This, while slow, produced a quite neutral spirit, only requiring a
        > little carbon filter when I wanted a top tasting Vodka.
        >
        > A couple of weeks ago I picked up a 6 plate wine filtering system
        > (like this one

        http://www.winequip.com.au/Home+Winemaking+and+Brewing_Filtration.html?PHPSESSID=e05a19d488e07c400d5de0c9f3ff342b
        > )for a song.
        >
        > I now run my wash through the 0.2 micron filter and go straight to the
        > spirit run. The output of the filtering is clear like water, unless I
        > have molasses in the wash, then I get a filtrate like tea. I am
        > finding that I get a very neutral spirit that requires no carbon
        > filtering. Overall, my runs now take less time (no striping run and no
        > carbon)although the filtering take around 3 hours for a 50L wash
        >

        > Just my 2 cents, Regards
        >
        > Jerry

        That's very interesting, how did you setup the filters ? How do you
        make sure they dont get clogged ? Has anyone tried Aluminium sulfate
        as a clearing agent ?
      • jrwme
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 3, 2008
          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Arsene Lupin" <ragnagna75012@...>
          wrote:

          > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "jrwme" <jrwme@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi all, just to share,
          > >
          > > In the past I have run a stripping run followed by a spirits run.
          > > This, while slow, produced a quite neutral spirit, only requiring a
          > > little carbon filter when I wanted a top tasting Vodka.
          > >
          > > A couple of weeks ago I picked up a 6 plate wine filtering system
          > > (like this one

          http://www.winequip.com.au/Home+Winemaking+and+Brewing_Filtration.html?PHPSESSID=e05a19d488e07c400d5de0c9f3ff342b
          > > )for a song.
          > >
          > > I now run my wash through the 0.2 micron filter and go straight to the
          > > spirit run. The output of the filtering is clear like water, unless I
          > > have molasses in the wash, then I get a filtrate like tea. I am
          > > finding that I get a very neutral spirit that requires no carbon
          > > filtering. Overall, my runs now take less time (no striping run and no
          > > carbon)although the filtering take around 3 hours for a 50L wash
          > >

          > > Just my 2 cents, Regards
          > >
          > > Jerry
          > >
          > That's very interesting, how did you setup the filters ? How do you
          > make sure they dont get clogged ? Has anyone tried Aluminium sulfate
          > as a clearing agent ?

          Never tried Aluminium sulfate as a clearing agent

          As for the setup, just run the output of the fermenter through the
          filter and into the boiler. As for clogging, yes they do clog after
          running 50L through them but thats ok as thats what my standard amount
          is. I then disassemble the filter and let the pads dry in the sun for
          a day then shake off the old yeast which I collect and reuse and then
          reuse the filter pads.

          Jerry