Re: [Distillers] Re: copper water heater

  • justin webster
    Message 1 of 41 , May 2 12:38 AM
      right,
      obviously the entrainment bit is what I did not yet understand.
      which is why I asked.
      which is why it's NOT silly.

      and correct me if I'm .........WRONG again but isn't that the purpose of this forum.
      I have not built this still,  I am simply asking you wonderfully knowledgeable people for advice so I can be sure I'm safe.
      and finally, after some completely unnecessary shouting and attitude, I have my answer.
      thankyou.

      On 2/05/2008, at 4:26 PM, Harry wrote:

      --- In Distillers@yahoogro ups.com , justin webster <mail@...> wrote:

      > well I guess I'm missing something then
      > if the vapor never meets lead and lead cant vaporise, how is lead in
      > the wort an issue?

      Because Lead DISSOLVES in the acidic wash stillcharge. Then it becomes
      entrained** in the Vapour because vapour is only tiny droplets of WATER
      and ETHANOL, and these droplets now are contaminated. The Lead never
      vaporized, it LEACHED.

      This is becoming silly. Buy yourself a Lead strip testkit. They're
      available online for $20-$30. Small price to pay for health & safety.
      Test your wash in the still boiler and also your end products (your
      booze & your Dunder). If they are clear you've got no worries. If
      not, welll...

      ** Entrainment as commonly used in various branches of engineering may
      be defined as the entrapment of one substance by another substance. For
      example: The entrapment of liquid droplets or solid particulates in a
      flowing gas. ...
      en.wikipedia. org/wiki/ Entrainment (engineering)

    • phenol90
      Message 41 of 41 , Aug 6, 2009
        Hey Justin,

        Did you ever get around to doing anything with that hot water copper tank of yours?

        I'm thinking about a similar project.

        Cheers,

        J.