Re: [Distillers] Re: copper water heater

  • justin webster
    Message 1 of 41 , May 1, 2008
      thanks Harry,
      but would I be right in thinking there is no danger as long as the still head and condenser are all lead free?
      is it a concern that lead may become concentrated in my dunder thru repeated backsetting?

      justin

      On 2/05/2008, at 2:23 PM, Harry wrote:

      --- In Distillers@yahoogro ups.com , justin webster <mail@...> wrote:

      > >> That copper water heater would be worth some decent money
      simply
      > >> as scrap copper! I'd call around and see how much I could get
      for
      > >> it, and then take that money and buy something known to be safe
      > >>

      > well, that takes the fun out of it now doesn't it!
      >
      > it certainly seems like the only real danger with lead is if it is
      > present in the condenser or lynne arm where leached lead can run
      down
      > into the collected distillate.
      > my concern is that if significant quantities of lead were leaching
      > into the wash, repeated backsetting could get the lead levels
      quite
      > high.
      > even still, it should forever remain in the pot and never vaporise.
      >
      > I guess I could always grind or melt out most of the solder and
      then
      > braze over it to minimise any potential risk.
      >
      > justin

      Leaching and vaporising are two entirely different things. Please
      don't confuse them.

      Leaching is a dissolving of the mineral or metal (in this case Lead)
      into a transport medium (water & ethanol are both very good at it).

      Vaporising is a change of state from liquid to gas.

      The Lead won't vaporise but IT WILL LEACH! And Lead is a cumulative
      poison, meaning that it STAYS in the body. It is not excreted by
      normal bioprocessing means.

    • phenol90
      Message 41 of 41 , Aug 6, 2009
        Hey Justin,

        Did you ever get around to doing anything with that hot water copper tank of yours?

        I'm thinking about a similar project.

        Cheers,

        J.