Re: [Distillers] Re: copper water heater

  • justin webster
    Message 1 of 41 , May 1, 2008
      do I need to worry about lead in the mash?
      I would have thought it wouldn't carry over with the distillate.
      and if the vapour never came into contact with lead would that be better?

      justin

      On 2/05/2008, at 10:57 AM, jamesonbeam1 wrote:

      Check the soldering... . Plumbers still used lead based solder up
      through 1986 till it was banned from use in the US. Lead in paint
      was banned from use in 1976. Depending on how old your copper water
      heater is, be careful.... Im sure if its a copper hot water heater
      in your ceiling - its as old as the house. Check it out.

      The others here will tell you more.

      Vino es Veritas,
      Jim.

      --- In Distillers@yahoogro ups.com , justin webster <mail@...> wrote:

      > firstly, thanks to harry et al. for the info on yeast propogation.
      >
      > I have a nice old 20gal copper hot water cylinder in my ceiling
      which
      > I'm thinking about putting to use as a still.
      > I need to take a couple of sheets of iron of the roof to get this
      > thing out so I want to be sure I'm not wasting my efforts.
      >
      > the heating element was working when I de-commissioned it and it's
      > already well insulated which I s'pose will save me power.
      > I can't find any indication of the power output of the element but
      > since it trips out with a thermostat (at 180F) I'm guessing the
      unit
      > will be designed to get up to that temp as quickly as possible.
      > it also has a copper tub attached to the top which might make a
      nice
      > thumper or large moonshine style coil condenser. cool.
      >
      > has anyone looked into using water heaters like this?
      > does anyone know if the joints would be brazed or soldered with a
      > lead containing alloy?
      > any guess at the usefulness of the existing element?
      > how can I measure it's power capacity?
      > I guess heating with a gas burner would increase the chance of
      > burning the mash right?
      >
      > the only marking I can find states that it is 20 gallon (imperial
      > guess) and was manufactured in Wellington, NZ in 1960.
      >
      > cheers guys/gals,
      > justin

    • phenol90
      Message 41 of 41 , Aug 6, 2009
        Hey Justin,

        Did you ever get around to doing anything with that hot water copper tank of yours?

        I'm thinking about a similar project.

        Cheers,

        J.