copper water heater

  • justin webster
    Message 1 of 41 , May 1, 2008
      firstly, thanks to harry et al. for the info on yeast propogation.

      I have a nice old 20gal copper hot water cylinder in my ceiling which
      I'm thinking about putting to use as a still.
      I need to take a couple of sheets of iron of the roof to get this
      thing out so I want to be sure I'm not wasting my efforts.

      the heating element was working when I de-commissioned it and it's
      already well insulated which I s'pose will save me power.
      I can't find any indication of the power output of the element but
      since it trips out with a thermostat (at 180F) I'm guessing the unit
      will be designed to get up to that temp as quickly as possible.
      it also has a copper tub attached to the top which might make a nice
      thumper or large moonshine style coil condenser. cool.

      has anyone looked into using water heaters like this?
      does anyone know if the joints would be brazed or soldered with a
      lead containing alloy?
      any guess at the usefulness of the existing element?
      how can I measure it's power capacity?
      I guess heating with a gas burner would increase the chance of
      burning the mash right?

      the only marking I can find states that it is 20 gallon (imperial I
      guess) and was manufactured in Wellington, NZ in 1960.

      cheers guys/gals,
      justin
    • phenol90
      Message 41 of 41 , Aug 6, 2009
        Hey Justin,

        Did you ever get around to doing anything with that hot water copper tank of yours?

        I'm thinking about a similar project.

        Cheers,

        J.