Recepies

  • billy.turf
    Message 1 of 18 , May 1, 2008
      I've been searching for about a month now in vain for recepies. I would
      really like to try my hand at makin schnapps or flavored vodka. All I
      find is "recepies" that involve adding fruit/spice to vodka and letting
      it sit for a few months.
      Isn't it possible to get schapps straigt out of the stil? If anyone has
      a colection of links I would really appreciate it.
    • jamesonbeam1
      Message 2 of 18 , May 1, 2008
        Hey Billy,

        Flavored vodka is done by maceration, while schnapps is flavored then
        re-distilled. If you go to the search window above the messages and
        type in schnapps, you will get about 400 plus entries discussing
        schnapps - as long as you spell it right (schnapps not schapps:):).
        Theres also a listing of recipes in New Distillers in the Info file,
        listing all the recipes that have been discussed here.

        Vino es Veritas,
        Jim.

        Message 3 of 18 , May 1, 2008
          Sidenote: There is also a section on schnapps on Tony's site at:
          http://homedistiller.org/flavour.htm#schnapps
          Jim.

          Message 4 of 18 , May 1, 2008
            You might have more success if you type 'recipes'.
            wal
            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "billy.turf" <billy.turf@...> wrote:

            > I've been searching for about a month now in vain for recepies. I would
            > really like to try my hand at makin schnapps or flavored vodka. All I
            > find is "recepies" that involve adding fruit/spice to vodka and letting
            > it sit for a few months.
            > Isn't it possible to get schapps straigt out of the stil? If anyone has
            > a colection of links I would really appreciate it.

          • Jason Manning
            Message 5 of 18 , May 3, 2008
              Hi to all...I am about to distill about 50 gallons of Zinfandel wine
              into brandy (grappa). Boy, I could really use some advice from Micio
              or Linc or anyone else who has successfully made grappa in a
              traditional pot still. My still was made in Italy and is very
              traditional. It holds about 5 gallons in the pot, I use a propane
              flame, and there is no thermometer, which is part of my question.
              With no thermometer, what is the best/safest way for me distill 5
              gallons of wine into drinkable brandy? When I have made grappa in the
              past (only 5 or 6 times), I tossed five gallons of wine in the pot,
              turned the propane up to high, tossed out the first half cup or so
              of "heads" and then kept tasting and smelling the grappa until it
              sort of "turned" toward a wet cardboard smell and then quit. I ended
              up with a small quantity of good tasting grappa (about a fifth or a
              fifth and a half) from 5 gallons of wine---and tossed out the rest. I
              also ended up with a hangover and headache from the constant taste
              tests. Any advice would be appreciated. Dan Zadra

              > You might have more success if you type 'recipes'.
              > wal
              > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "billy.turf" <billy.turf@> wrote:
              > >
              > > I've been searching for about a month now in vain for recepies. I
              would
              > > really like to try my hand at makin schnapps or flavored vodka.
              All I
              > > find is "recepies" that involve adding fruit/spice to vodka and
              letting
              > > it sit for a few months.
              > > Isn't it possible to get schapps straigt out of the stil? If
              anyone has
              > > a colection of links I would really appreciate it.

            • mstehelin
              Message 6 of 18 , May 3, 2008
                Dan,
                -as soon as you start producing alcohol- drop your flame at least 1/2
                or more. If possible run a whisper of a flame as soon as the trickle
                starts.
                -get a bunch of 500ml (or smaller if you have the patience) bottles.
                North American juice comes in nice wide mouth resealable glass
                bottles. Fill the bottles and Keep track of the order #1, #2 , #3 etc.
                Then blend the booze by what smells/tastes right. Sherman says dilute
                your taster to 30% with distilled water, to get the true flavour.
                This will improve your booze 100%, and probably stop the nasty hangovers.
                Cheers
                M.

                Message 7 of 18 , May 3, 2008
                  Oh Yeah I forgot. You really don't need the thermometer using the
                  methods I out lined previously. As for safety, follow basic distilling
                  safety. No enclosed areas. Don't plug your still and cause it to
                  explode. Don't light your booze on fire. keep extinguisher on hand.
                  Cheers

                  --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Jason Manning" <polenta222@...> wrote:

                  > Hi to all...I am about to distill about 50 gallons of Zinfandel wine
                  > into brandy (grappa). Boy, I could really use some advice from Micio
                  > or Linc or anyone else who has successfully made grappa in a
                  > traditional pot still. My still was made in Italy and is very
                  > traditional. It holds about 5 gallons in the pot, I use a propane
                  > flame, and there is no thermometer, which is part of my question.
                  > With no thermometer, what is the best/safest way for me distill 5
                  > gallons of wine into drinkable brandy? When I have made grappa in the
                  > past (only 5 or 6 times), I tossed five gallons of wine in the pot,
                  > turned the propane up to high, tossed out the first half cup or so
                  > of "heads" and then kept tasting and smelling the grappa until it
                  > sort of "turned" toward a wet cardboard smell and then quit. I ended
                  > up with a small quantity of good tasting grappa (about a fifth or a
                  > fifth and a half) from 5 gallons of wine---and tossed out the rest. I
                  > also ended up with a hangover and headache from the constant taste
                  > tests. Any advice would be appreciated. Dan Zadra

                  > > You might have more success if you type 'recipes'.
                  > > wal
                  > > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "billy.turf" <billy.turf@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > I've been searching for about a month now in vain for recepies. I
                  > would
                  > > > really like to try my hand at makin schnapps or flavored vodka.
                  > All I
                  > > > find is "recepies" that involve adding fruit/spice to vodka and
                  > letting
                  > > > it sit for a few months.
                  > > > Isn't it possible to get schapps straigt out of the stil? If
                  > anyone has
                  > > > a colection of links I would really appreciate it.

                • Link D'Antoni
                  Message 8 of 18 , May 3, 2008
                    Jason,

                    I do not do Grappa but have made Brandy from
                    Zinfandel. Personally use a thermometer as my main
                    reference, then taste and ABV%. I aquired a 'pipe
                    thermometer' to use with my alembic. (see Links Stuff
                    in Photo section) Without out it cuts certainly would
                    be difficult for me. You can probably find a pocket
                    A/C thermometer to tape to your pot still. I do that
                    when teaching distillation principles with a
                    'disappearing still' from Alaskan Bootlegger. Btw,
                    what type of pot still are you using. And running Pot
                    I make seperate EVERY 250 ml. That saves me a lot of
                    personal heartache for sure.

                    I, too, use propane. If you happen to run to hot
                    consider that a stripping run. Use Harry's method of
                    diluting the still charge. Then run 'er again.

                    Link

                    --- Jason Manning <polenta222@...> wrote:

                    > Hi to all...I am about to distill about 50 gallons
                    > of Zinfandel wine
                    > into brandy (grappa). Boy, I could really use some
                    > advice from Micio
                    > or Linc or anyone else who has successfully made
                    > grappa in a
                    > traditional pot still. My still was made in Italy
                    > and is very
                    > traditional. It holds about 5 gallons in the pot, I
                    > use a propane
                    > flame, and there is no thermometer, which is part of
                    > my question.
                    > With no thermometer, what is the best/safest way for
                    > me distill 5
                    > gallons of wine into drinkable brandy? When I have
                    > made grappa in the
                    > past (only 5 or 6 times), I tossed five gallons of
                    > wine in the pot,
                    > turned the propane up to high, tossed out the first
                    > half cup or so
                    > of "heads" and then kept tasting and smelling the
                    > grappa until it
                    > sort of "turned" toward a wet cardboard smell and
                    > then quit. I ended
                    > up with a small quantity of good tasting grappa
                    > (about a fifth or a
                    > fifth and a half) from 5 gallons of wine---and
                    > tossed out the rest. I
                    > also ended up with a hangover and headache from the
                    > constant taste
                    > tests. Any advice would be appreciated. Dan Zadra
                    >=

                    Be a better friend, newshound, and
                  • bbornais
                    Message 9 of 18 , May 3, 2008
                      I agree that a thermometer is not really necessary here. It is
                      interesting for data collection for reporducability purposes, but
                      many cuts in small jars is the fool proof way to go.

                      btw you will be producing brandy from wine, not grappa from grape
                      husks.

                      Best of luck,

                      Bryan.

                      p.s. never taste test for blends without diluting to drinking
                      strength first. take a bit from each cut, dilute it, smell/taste it,
                      blend it with other diluted samples. Then you will know how to blend
                      the concentrated frations without fear of off taste contamination.

                      Message 10 of 18 , May 4, 2008
                        Re: Italian terminology -
                        distilled wine = acquavite
                        dsitilled vinaccia (grape pomace) = grappa
                        wal
                        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Jason Manning" <polenta222@...> wrote:

                        > Hi to all...I am about to distill about 50 gallons of Zinfandel wine
                        > into brandy (grappa). Boy, I could really use some advice from Micio
                        > or Linc or anyone else who has successfully made grappa in a
                        > traditional pot still. My still was made in Italy and is very
                        > traditional. It holds about 5 gallons in the pot, I use a propane
                        > flame, and there is no thermometer, which is part of my question.
                        > With no thermometer, what is the best/safest way for me distill 5
                        > gallons of wine into drinkable brandy? When I have made grappa in the
                        > past (only 5 or 6 times), I tossed five gallons of wine in the pot,
                        > turned the propane up to high, tossed out the first half cup or so
                        > of "heads" and then kept tasting and smelling the grappa until it
                        > sort of "turned" toward a wet cardboard smell and then quit. I ended
                        > up with a small quantity of good tasting grappa (about a fifth or a
                        > fifth and a half) from 5 gallons of wine---and tossed out the rest. I
                        > also ended up with a hangover and headache from the constant taste
                        > tests. Any advice would be appreciated. Dan Zadra

                        > > You might have more success if you type 'recipes'.
                        > > wal
                        > > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "billy.turf" <billy.turf@> wrote:
                        > > >
                        > > > I've been searching for about a month now in vain for recepies. I
                        > would
                        > > > really like to try my hand at makin schnapps or flavored vodka.
                        > All I
                        > > > find is "recepies" that involve adding fruit/spice to vodka and
                        > letting
                        > > > it sit for a few months.
                        > > > Isn't it possible to get schapps straigt out of the stil? If
                        > anyone has
                        > > > a colection of links I would really appreciate it.

                      • Shane Clayton
                        Message 11 of 18 , May 4, 2008

                          Just my opinion but 50 gals doesn’t sound like a hobby distillation to me sounds more commercial ?

                          Checked by AVG.

                        • John Wisbey
                          Message 12 of 18 , May 4, 2008
                            But it still tastes like grappa.
                            Sorry, I can't seem to delete the rest. OK done it.
                            Old NIC

                              Message 14 of 18 , May 7, 2008
                                Okay,this is are open questions to all you pot-stillers or brandy
                                makers (or chemists). I realize that by asking these questions I am
                                risking being sent back to New Distillers, but here goes. I am making
                                brandy by distilling Zinfandel wine that is 15% alcohol. 1) If I
                                start off with 5 gallons of wine in my pot, can anyone estimate
                                approximately how much finished brandy (+-)I should end up with
                                before I'm into the tails? I'm just looking for a rough benchmark---
                                will I get a pint, a fifth, a gallon of hearts from five gallons of
                                wine? 2)Once I am into the tails, should I continue
                                distilling/gathering for awhile, and then put the result of this
                                latter distillation into the next batch of wine so I can redistill it?
                                If the answer is yes, at what point should I quit collecting
                                altogether? As always I am grateful for your collective guidance. Dan

                                Message 15 of 18 , May 7, 2008
                                  Dan,
                                  Let's do the math.

                                  5 gal = 18,950 ml wash x 15% = 2,842 ml available
                                  100% alcohol.
                                  figure yielding 85% of you possible alcohol in the
                                  finished (heart). So, figure on 2,415 ml(100%)Alcohol
                                  in the final. If my calculations are correct you
                                  should have 3,308 ml of 72.5%, right?
                                  If you dilute to 43%...72.5/43 = 1.69.
                                  3,308 ml total yield x 1.69 = 5,591 ml total yield @
                                  73% (86 proof).
                                  Have two gallon jugs ready.

                                  Link
                                  (yeah, I know there are better ways of calculating,
                                  but this is how my brain works.)

                                • Robert Hubble
                                  Message 16 of 18 , May 7, 2008
                                    Dan,

                                    These will be some *very* round numbers for a lot of reasons, slightly different still size,  not carefully measured total output, collection in multiple containers, different ABV washes, and other reasons. From beginning of heads to the end of tails (I go to a head temp of 99C) I'd expect a bit more than a gallon of total distillate (excluding foreshots). By the time I make my cut and dilute to drinking ABV, I'd expect from 2.5 to 3.5 liters of finished, diluted, ready-to-drink brandy.

                                    All the distillate that doesn't make the cut gets labeled and set aside as feints, to be added to the next similar run's wash. As for earlier questions about the tastes of funky wines coming through the still, I have to say I've run the throw-away stuff from a friend's wine cellar, leaky, funky, moldy and all, and running *very* slowly, the brandy was great. Don't worry about the wine quality, but slow the potstill down as  far as you can go and still get output. (I suspect too much speed is why you are getting disagreeable tastes that you call grappa).

                                    I hope this helps.

                                    Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

                                    To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
                                    From: polenta222@...
                                    Date: Wed, 7 May 2008 19:14:49 +0000

> [...]

                                    the
                                    > > past (only 5 or 6 times), I tossed five gallons of wine in the
                                    pot,
                                    > > turned the propane up to high, tossed out the first half cup or
                                    so
                                    > > of "heads" and then kept tasting and smelling the grappa until it
                                    > > sort of "turned" toward a wet cardboard smell and then quit. I
                                    ended
                                    > > up with a small quantity of good tasting grappa (about a fifth or
                                    > > fifth and a half) from 5 gallons of wine---and tossed out the
                                    rest. I
                                    > > also ended up with a hangover and headache from the constant
                                    taste
                                    > > tests. Any advice would be appreciated. Dan Zadra
                                    > >
                                    > > --- In Distillers@yahoogro ups.com, "waljaco" <waljaco@> wrote:
                                    > > >
                                    > > > You might have more success if you type 'recipes'.

                                    Stay in touch when you're away with Windows Live Messenger. IM anytime you're online.
                                  • jamesonbeam1
                                    Message 17 of 18 , May 7, 2008
                                      Hi again Dan,

                                      Since you already started asking questions there, please go back to New
                                      Distiller's and look at the suggested stuff I told ya about in the Info
                                      base, starting with Tony's Pot still calculations.

                                      Plug in the amount of must your starting off with - 18.95 liters at
                                      15% abv. This will break down the ball park amounts of distillate at
                                      what pot head temperatures and at what ABV, and how many ml you should
                                      expect. After that its up to you to mix and match your heads, hearts
                                      and tails to suit your taste. However, if you dont have a still head
                                      thermometer, or a proof hydrometer (alcoholometer), your pretty much
                                      SOL as far as figuring this stuff out - unless you have a great sense
                                      of taste and smell. The link is: http://homedistiller.org/pot_calc.htm

                                      Also we already told ya how you can save your extra heads and tails to
                                      use in you next distillation to add flavors, abv etc. Again look it up
                                      in the Info base under Double Distilling -
                                      Http://homedistiller.org/dtw.htm#double

                                      Vino es Veritas,
                                      Jim.

                                      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Dan" <polenta222@...> wrote:

                                      Okay,this is are open questions to all you pot-stillers or brandy
                                      makers (or chemists). I realize that by asking these questions I am
                                      risking being sent back to New Distillers, but here goes. I am making
                                      brandy by distilling Zinfandel wine that is 15% alcohol. 1) If I
                                      start off with 5 gallons of wine in my pot, can anyone estimate
                                      approximately how much finished brandy (+-)I should end up with
                                      before I'm into the tails? I'm just looking for a rough benchmark---
                                      will I get a pint, a fifth, a gallon of hearts from five gallons of
                                      wine? 2)Once I am into the tails, should I continue
                                      distilling/gathering for awhile, and then put the result of this
                                      latter distillation into the next batch of wine so I can redistill it?
                                      If the answer is yes, at what point should I quit collecting
                                      altogether? As always I am grateful for your collective guidance. Dan
                                    • Dan
                                      Message 18 of 18 , May 8, 2008
                                        Thanks again to Jim, Robert, Link, Melice and others for your
                                        patience with me, I learned so much this past week about the
                                        fundamentals of brandy distillation--cleaning my still, temperature,
                                        gathering techniques in small quantities, blending, output--- and am
                                        looking forward to getting after it next week. Gratzie. Dan