newbie

  • jjjnettie
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 23, 2002
      Hi to everyone,

      My name is Jeanette, I live in Brisbane Australia. I have been
      distilling for about a year now, using a pot still I knocked up in the
      kitchen. It may not be the best looking still I've ever seen, but it
      does the job and pushes out about 75%.
      My last batch a week ago was my first attempt at RUM. HMMMMMMMM. Not
      bad, but will try something a little different next time. Instead of
      fermenting the mollasses ( expensive unless bought in bulk ) I will
      just add the mollasses to the wash just before distilling. It should
      carry the flavour through to the end product. May also give a cleaner,
      less angry rum if you know what I mean.
      Has anyone else out there tried this way of making rum. I would like
      to know how it turned out.

      Thanks,
      Jeanette
    • josh
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 16, 2003
        im looking to start distilling my own alchol. I was thinking of
        making a pot still. I have the general idea of what to do, but i was
        wondering if anybody had any ideas that would start me off on a good
        foot.

        Josh Hessler
      • BOKAKOB
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 16, 2003
          http://homedistiller.org - go there + read hard

          josh <hessbuc@...> wrote:im looking to start distilling my own alchol. I was thinking of
          making a pot still. I have the general idea of what to do, but i was
          wondering if anybody had any ideas that would start me off on a good
          foot.

          Josh Hessler

          Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

          I can be wrong I must say
          Cheers, Alex...

        • K&J
          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 17, 2003
            Tony's site is great with heaps of information , but could be confusing to
            a newbie
            with the raft of information there so try the Still Spirits Site for a start
            and click on

            http://www.stillspirits
            com/webfiles/StillSpirits/files/25_litre_Pot_Still_z_filter.pdf

            This a commercially available still, but if you read the PDF file a few
            times you will
            get the principles involved then you go to other sites.

            This site has all the information on stills /yeast etc and plenty of
            instructions
            in simple english and easy to understand and worth spending some time there
            to build up a basic understanding and Knowledge.

            best of luck
            cheers
            Ken Mc

            making a pot still. I have the general idea of what to do, but i was
            wondering if anybody had any ideas that would start me off on a good
            foot.

            Josh Hessler

            Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

            To unsubscribe from this group send a blank email to
            distillers-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

            I can be wrong I must say
            Cheers, Alex...

            http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
            http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/e8NolB/TM

            .

          • Dave Heimer
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 8, 2005
              Yo'Guys

              Been lurkin' for a coupla weeks. Like what I've seen. Y'all been a
              big help. The only downside I see is that I may have to slip into
              the 21 century and learn this metric stuff.

              I've been brewing beer from grain mashes since the late 80's and
              making wine from both grape and juice since the mid 90's. I started
              distilling several years ago when I had a 60 gallon batch of
              muscadine wine go south on me.

              The rig is a store-bought (well, through the internet) called a
              Desti. Its a reflux job with about a 5 gallon pot and a ~ 30" column
              packed with pieces of short glass tubing. She's fired by a gas
              burner. I usually preheat the wash on the woodstove though.

              Until recently I've been merrily distilling off the dregs and
              byproducts of the winemaking process and life has been good.

              I recently purchased ~30 gallons of cattle feed molasses at the local
              feed store. It's about 34% invert sugar. I've been mixing it with
              water and boiling it up to produce a wash of ~13%. The stuph has
              been fermenting well and producing the intended % alcohol, but
              damn... It makes a hellacious mess. My once pristine still and
              fermenting vessel are becoming a cruddy mess. I've had foaming and
              boil-overs. As a result I've reduced my runs to ~ 2 1/2 gallons of
              wash and add a half gallon of water. This seems to help somewhat,
              but I still have keep a close eye on her.

              I live in the Heart of the Confederacy and am also very fortunate to
              live on a large lake which provides the cooling water for the
              process. The muscadine grapes are also available and are quite cheap
              at ~$200 for 1000 lbs. The downside is that its a major hassel to
              crush and press 'em.

              I usually still out the product at ~86%, water it down to 45%, filter
              it through a 5' x 1 1/2" column of activated carbon derived from
              coal. This is then re-distilled to ~90%. This produces an almost
              oderless and neutral tasting spirit that I use as vodka or produce
              cordials (it makes a kickass peppermint schnapps)

              Well, back to work.

              Thanks & Regards, Dave
            • mark
              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 10, 2005
                hey all i have finally done it .i have reserched for months ,built a
                still ,made my mash, and tognight finally have a liquid i think to be
                shine !!!i discarded everything that came before 162f and ran it at
                about 188f i am still scared of it though how can i test it to know if
                it is safe?it sure does smell good i will wait for a response before i
                try it .thanks
              • Dean Thomas
                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 11, 2005
                  What did you use as a mash/wash, most mashes are just a basic beer or
                  wine by distilling it all you have done is concentrate the alcohol and
                  some of the esters. So if your mash wasn't poisonous the product
                  shouldn't be.
                  The only exception to this may be if you used materials in your still
                  that aren't safe examples are solder containing lead, most plastics etc.
                  Basically besides getting it chemically tested the only person who can
                  tell you this is you by answering the questions above.

                  hope this helps.
                  Dean.

                  mark wrote:

                  >hey all i have finally done it .i have reserched for months ,built a
                  >still ,made my mash, and tognight finally have a liquid i think to be
                  >shine !!!i discarded everything that came before 162f and ran it at
                  >about 188f i am still scared of it though how can i test it to know if
                  >it is safe?it sure does smell good i will wait for a response before i
                  >try it .thanks

                  >Yahoo! Groups Links

                • Jan Ooms
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jul 11, 2005
                    If it smells good, taste it and if that's good too, get into it, do dilute it to 40% or 80 proof though. Saves your kidneys.
                    Best of luck.
                    Jan.

                    Message 9 of 12 , Jul 11, 2005
                      Don't be a wuss - get it down ya! Like Dean says, if the wash wasn't
                      poison the distillate can't be.

                      Cheers and welcome to the club!
                      Lindsay.

                      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "mark" <zrider032003@y...> wrote:
                      > hey all i have finally done it .i have reserched for months ,built a
                      > still ,made my mash, and tognight finally have a liquid i think to be
                      > shine !!!i discarded everything that came before 162f and ran it at
                      > about 188f i am still scared of it though how can i test it to know if
                      > it is safe?it sure does smell good i will wait for a response before i
                      > try it .thanks
                    • jeweler53
                      Message 10 of 12 , May 2, 2010
                        I built a reflux still with a column about 3 ft. I used small glass marbles as the medium (about 3/8"). It seems to be working way to well. I hear a "rattling" in the column as if the column is full of liquid and only the top is boiling. Do I need smaller marbles? Less of them?

                        I am actually getting "back pressure" in the pot.

                        Dick
                      • just me
                        Message 11 of 12 , May 2, 2010
                          you will get a better product using copper mesh.
                          just me
                          Life begins at 80. 1080 that is.

                        • Peter Huisman
                          Message 12 of 12 , May 2, 2010
                            Stainless steel (or copper) pot scrubbers have an extremely high surface
                            area and are recommended for the columns of reflux stills.

                            A metre long x 50mm diameter (40" x 2") column is recommended to be
                            packed with 17 or so scrubbers.

                            SS scrubbers cost around $2 for 6 from 2 dollar shops. In their original
                            shape (not unrolled), pack them into the column using a broom handle
                            with a 40mm disk screwed across the end. Slide 1 into the column from
                            the bottom end then push gently until it reaches the (Nixon Stone)
                            condenser takeoff. The rest are then inserted 2 or 3 at a time until
                            resistance is felt. They always almost fill the column. To remove them
                            for cleaning, fish them out using a length of wire with a small hook
                            bent at one end.

                            The scrubbers eventually "knit" together, so before re-inserting them,
                            just cut them apart using scissors.

                            For tech type info look at Tony Ackland's site:

                            Home Distillation of Alcohol >Theory >Reflux Still Design Theory
                            >Packing HETPs

                            Lots of questions answered there.