Charcoal Purifying

  • gusterminator
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 13, 2008
      I was just wondering if a normal brita water filter would work for
      polishing distilate? Could I just place the filter inserts from the
      brita filter in a tube and then pour the distilate through? Has any
      body tried this and what were there results?

      Thanks

      Gus
    • KM Services
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 13, 2008

        Gus,

        Am not sure if it would be the correct carbon? But I have attached a link to a commercial carbon filter sold here in NZ that works via a water purifier and has been made for alcohol…have a read of the instructions it may help. They say it works fine and have heard some second hand reports is ok? but do not have first hand experience as I use the still spirits Z filter which is filled with activated carbon.

        http://www.essencia.co.nz/carbonfilter.htm

        Cheers Ken Mc

        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 13, 2008
          Thanks for the info. Are you happy with your still spirits Z filter?
          and if so how often do you have to change the filters carbon etc. I
          would be interested in buying one if it is for sale hear in canada
          and works well.

          thanks again

          gus
          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "KM Services" <km_services@...>
          wrote:

          > Gus,
          >
          > Am not sure if it would be the correct carbon? But I have attached
          a link to
          > a commercial carbon filter sold here in NZ that works via a water
          purifier
          > and has been made for alcohol.have a read of the instructions it
          may help.
          > They say it works fine and have heard some second hand reports is
          ok? but do
          > not have first hand experience as I use the still spirits Z filter
          which is
          > filled with activated carbon.
          >
          > http://www.essencia.co.nz/carbonfilter.htm
          >

          > Cheers Ken Mc
          >

          > _____

        • KM Services
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 13, 2008

            Gus,

            I find it very good and does in my opinion do a better job due to the shape. The filter if filled and the carbon is used once (Activated carbon is not expensive). The trick with carbon is thoroughly wetting and cutting the alcohol to at least 50%ABV for it to work best.  There are ways of re-using but not worth it in my opinion, I am sure there are places you can get carbon in the states and Canada like this link http://www.milehidistilling.com/carbon_s/28.htm They also have filters there also Brewhaus have carbon http://www.brewhaus.com/Activated_Carbon_s/4.htm

            See attached PDF  http://www.stillspirits.com/webfiles/StillSpirits/files/5_litre_Super_Reflux_Still_z_filer.pdf which gives details of how it is used also there is a free e-book available on carbon treatment that is worth a look so check this link out you just email to them and you get it by return email

            Cheers Ken Mc

            wrote:

            > Gus,
            >
            > Am not sure if it would be the correct carbon? But I have attached
            a link to
            > a commercial carbon filter sold here in NZ that works via a water
            purifier
            > and has been made for alcohol.have a read of the instructions it
            may help.
            > They say it works fine and have heard some second hand reports is
            ok? but do
            > not have first hand experience as I use the still spirits Z filter
            which is
            > filled with activated carbon.
            >
            > http://www.essencia .co.nz/carbonfil ter.htm
            >

            > Cheers Ken Mc
            >

            > _____

          • KM Services
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 13, 2008

              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 14, 2008
                I use a Brita pitcher filter to filter the diluting water and run the
                40 percent thru the pitcher a couple of times.

                it will be crystal clear and cuts out off smells that might have
                creeped into the cuts.

                I change the filter cartridges went it gets too slow for my patience.

                --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "gusterminator"