Re: Continuous Still Design - With Head Removal

  • abbababbaccc
    Message 1 of 17 , Mar 31, 2008
      The best way to approach this kind of setup is to start it simple.
      Your first goal should be a continuous still/stripper that produces as
      high ABV as possible. Once that is done you need to cut off tails and
      boost the ABV to 95.6%. After that you attach a heads separation
      column to the system and in theory you will get pure ethanol out of
      your still.

      This is achievable with three columns and should even be doable with
      two. The control system is a story of it's own but things like E-ARC
      and E-AFC certainly make life easier while avoiding overcomplication.
      I think E-AFC was not discussed in length in this group but you may
      find something with a search.

      Cheers, Riku

      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Arsene Lupin" <ragnagna75012@...>
      wrote:

      > What would be overkill and too much anticipation would be to work on
      > the much needed automation prior to having a hand on that very
      special
      > device.
      >
      > As for automation, i'm sure you'll soon be advised to make "a search"
      > on E-ARC and E-AFC :))

    • markabolton
      Message 2 of 17 , Apr 1, 2008
        That's certainly the way I would approach a project like this. Build
        the hardware after having studied a bit of theory and then run it
        using manual temperature control etc. After getting a feel for how the
        thing would perform optimaly then I would build the interface and
        write the program.

        It's just that all the photoprocessing equipment I have ever worked on
        is far less delicate in the variables that it needs to deal with but
        they are invariably process controlled.

        Thank you for the tips on the A ERC etc an Yes I will do a seach since
        it is an age since I designed a machine controller and the systems
        were very diffent then .

        The interface circuitry hasn't changed much though.

        Regards MArk
      • abbababbaccc
        Message 3 of 17 , Apr 1, 2008
          The problem is not writing or designing a software or control
          system. The big challenge is in understanding what's happening
          inside your still and that part comes via trial and error.

          Cheers, Riku

          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "markabolton" <markabolton@...>
          wrote:

          > That's certainly the way I would approach a project like this.
          Build
          > the hardware after having studied a bit of theory and then run it
          > using manual temperature control etc. After getting a feel for how
          the
          > thing would perform optimaly then I would build the interface and
          > write the program.
          >
          > It's just that all the photoprocessing equipment I have ever
          worked on
          > is far less delicate in the variables that it needs to deal with
          but
          > they are invariably process controlled.
          >
          > Thank you for the tips on the A ERC etc an Yes I will do a seach
          since
          > it is an age since I designed a machine controller and the systems
          > were very diffent then .
          >
          > The interface circuitry hasn't changed much though.
          >
          > Regards MArk

        • Arsene Lupin
          Message 4 of 17 , Apr 2, 2008
            Hi James,
            Any progress ?
            Your design still puzzles me, I 've never seen a continuous column
            without reflux. The closest from that is the adams still which is
            something like a 3 thumper potstill (see alcohol& denaturing @ library).

            Yeah ! I think i found the prob with not having reflux!!!!
            At the bottom you provide x joules to a 10% (or so )wash, but at the
            top of the column your x joules are transfered to a 80% wash, and that
            means you will vaporise much more ethanol than you input.