Re: [Distillers] straining wort

  • Trid
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 21, 2008
      --- devinej2 <jmd445@...> wrote:

      > Just starting out, I was going to make a pot still with a stock pot
      > from K-mart. The one question I haven't been able to
      > answer.....after you make the wort, do you strain it before
      > distilling?

      You don't *have* to, but depending on one's setup, it can be helpful. Given
      that you're starting out with a stockpot (implying external heat) it isn't
      really necessary. However, if you let your wort sit for a couple extra days,
      gravity will do most of the work for you. Then all you have to do is siphon
      off the clear stuff from the pile of sediment on the bottom. It doesn't have
      to be crystal clear, but the fewer chunks the better. In the case of a sugar
      wash, you won't have anything to strain, so "it depends."
      One issue with not straining would be scorching of the solids to the bottom of
      the pot or, if you have internal heating elements, scorching/sticking to the
      heating elements.
      Another issue, which is debatable, is that some people say that having the
      solids in your still (which include suspended yeast and other gunk) is the
      tendency for the final product to have a "yeasty" smell or taste to it.
      Personally, I'm on the fence on this one.

      The easiest method to use is time. Let your wash sit and naturally clarify
      when the fermentation is complete. For those more inclined towards "instant
      gratification" there are oodles of different methods to filter the wash.

      Hope this was more helpful than confusing.
      Trid