RE: [Distillers] pressure cooker lid

  • Robert Hubble
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 20, 2008
      Hey, OtherBob,

      I liked the idea also, but I can't claim the design feature. It comes
      from someone else in this group, quite while ago. The 2" gate valve
      is on the bottom, even though I have good upper access, because
      I have a flaky back, and I don't hoist large masses without hurting
      me. As to the potstill aspect, that's what I do, and I do washes with
      lots of solids, like grain whisk(e)ys, grappas, and I'd like to do eau-
      de-vies on the fruit pulp, for flavor. I just finished the still and haven't
      done a run yet. Hopefully, this weekend, I'll get a chance to run
      about 10 gallons of an apricot eau-de-vie.

      Riku,

      I've also given thought to just setting the still in a tub, but at first I
      was considering *ethylene* glycol, which I was afraid would give me
      some toxic vapors, especially considering its lower boiling point than
      propylene glycol. My other limitation is that big-ass 2" nipple and gate
      valve out the side *near* the bottom of the cooker, that will limit
      the depth of the tub I can use, but it's still a viable option, I think.

      Wal,

      I do grappa runs on my old 5-gallon still, and I use a kinda jury-rigged
      bottom-spacer with a monster colander with the handles cut off, to
      keep the pomace off the bottom. This works, but it's batch-size
      limiting, and a pain in the butt. I stillin' friend of mine made a flexible
      stainless mesh false bottom, that he seems to be happy with. It
      can be rolled up to pass through the smaller pressure cooker hole in
      the top, but it has some sort of spacers on it, to hold it off the
      bottom when it's unfurled. I haven't seen it yet, but it sounds good.
      I'm not sure where I'd find the sturdy stainless mesh.

      I'll try to mount the column (you stay *outta* this, Trid 8)) and get a
      photo of the new still up on the site today. Thanks for all the inputs,
      guys.

      Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

      ________________________________

      To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
      From: bob@...
      Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 14:43:26 -0500
      Subject: [Distillers] pressure cooker lid

      I really like the idea of cutting the bottom out of a pressure cooker
      and welding the whole thing on top of a 15 gallon beer keg. That
      gives easy access for clean out and the 2" fitting can weld into the
      top plus you have a pressure gauge already on it. Also if you get a
      start out boil up it will act more like a pot still as there is a space to
      boil up in without getting into the copper mesh. I also like the idea
      of a large valve on the bottom but it may not be necessary with the
      large hole in the top.

      I still like the cold tip idea but with the coils on the inside and the
      water sleeve on the outside. I like the coils stuffed inside and outside
      with copper scrubbers as I believe it helps with contact to the
      tempering cool.

      Bob c

      __.
      Need to know the score, the latest news, or you need your HotmailĀ®-get your "fix".