Making your own peat smoked malt?

  • abbababbaccc
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 19, 2008
      Well, my local brewing shop deosn't carry smoked malt anymore and it
      costs about 10$ a kilo with postage if I order online. So, I thought
      maybe I should try smoking some of the cheap malt I have.

      IIRC we had a discussions about DIY smoked malt some time ago, were
      there any conslusions of easy to follow DIY procedure? I do have peat,
      a small smoke house and crushed malt. I thought of firing her up with
      some peat on the bottom and some malt on a tray where I usually put
      fish and stuff I smoke. How long should I smoke the malt and should I
      keep the heat high or low? I heat with wood so the adjustments are
      quite crude. Any tips and tricks on this are welcome.

      Cheers, Riku