Re: recommendation

  • jamesonbeam1
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 5, 2008
      Hey Bob,

      To the best of my knowledge the the best selling yeasts for wine
      making and distilling (not sure about beer making) are from
      Lallemand - see:
      http://www.lallemandwine.us/products/yeast_chart.php
      for a listing of their products.

      I personally perfer Lalvin EC-1118 (largest seller in the world they
      say), a very nice champaigne yeast (Saccharomyces bayanus) which can
      ferment up to 18% - very fast acting and competitive. Done alot of
      sugar washes and Sour mash corn whiskey mashes with no complaints...

      Vino es Veritas,
      Jim.

      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, <bob@...> wrote:

      > Just to report to the group: I have ordered parts and two occasions
      from www.brewhaus.com and both times everything arrived as ordered
      and on time. Some other places were not so good. I will order again
      in the future from them. No, I don't know them other than the orders
      processed for me and have no stock in the company. It is nice however
      to get what is paid for when you are supposed to get it.
      > I am still trying to figure out the best yeast. I have tried
      several and frankly just regular brewers yeast from the grocery store
      did about as good if you put all the other ingredients in: zinc
      sulfate, diammonium phosphate, ground up alfalfa,ect. bob c.

    • Trid
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 5, 2008
        --- jamesonbeam1 <jamesonbeam1@...> wrote:

        > Hey Bob,
        >
        > To the best of my knowledge the the best selling yeasts for wine
        > making and distilling (not sure about beer making) are from
        > Lallemand - see:
        > http://www.lallemandwine.us/products/yeast_chart.php
        > for a listing of their products.
        >
        > I personally perfer Lalvin EC-1118 (largest seller in the world they
        > say), a very nice champaigne yeast (Saccharomyces bayanus) which can
        > ferment up to 18% - very fast acting and competitive. Done alot of
        > sugar washes and Sour mash corn whiskey mashes with no complaints...
        >
        > Vino es Veritas,
        > Jim.

        I actually get great results from baking yeast. I've used Red Star bulk yeast
        in the past with fantastic results. I have a bulk pack of Fermipan that I'll
        be using when I kick off my next round of batches.

        I use beer/wine yeast for just that, but I'll use the slurry from a batch for a
        distilling wash. I always pitch fresh for brewing...I'm not so picky when it
        comes to something bound for the still.

        Trid
        -though I may change that to see how it turns out