recommendation

  • bob@4agoodauction.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 5, 2008
      Just to report to the group: I have ordered parts and two occasions from www.brewhaus.com and both times everything arrived as ordered and on time. Some other places were not so good. I will order again in the future from them. No, I don't know them other than the orders processed for me and have no stock in the company. It is nice however to get what is paid for when you are supposed to get it.
      I am still trying to figure out the best yeast. I have tried several and frankly just regular brewers yeast from the grocery store did about as good if you put all the other ingredients in: zinc sulfate, diammonium phosphate, ground up alfalfa,ect. bob c.
    • jamesonbeam1
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 5, 2008
        Hey Bob,

        To the best of my knowledge the the best selling yeasts for wine
        making and distilling (not sure about beer making) are from
        Lallemand - see:
        http://www.lallemandwine.us/products/yeast_chart.php
        for a listing of their products.

        I personally perfer Lalvin EC-1118 (largest seller in the world they
        say), a very nice champaigne yeast (Saccharomyces bayanus) which can
        ferment up to 18% - very fast acting and competitive. Done alot of
        sugar washes and Sour mash corn whiskey mashes with no complaints...

        Vino es Veritas,
        Jim.

        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, <bob@...> wrote:

        > Just to report to the group: I have ordered parts and two occasions
        from www.brewhaus.com and both times everything arrived as ordered
        and on time. Some other places were not so good. I will order again
        in the future from them. No, I don't know them other than the orders
        processed for me and have no stock in the company. It is nice however
        to get what is paid for when you are supposed to get it.
        > I am still trying to figure out the best yeast. I have tried
        several and frankly just regular brewers yeast from the grocery store
        did about as good if you put all the other ingredients in: zinc
        sulfate, diammonium phosphate, ground up alfalfa,ect. bob c.

      • Trid
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 5, 2008
          --- jamesonbeam1 <jamesonbeam1@...> wrote:

          > Hey Bob,
          >
          > To the best of my knowledge the the best selling yeasts for wine
          > making and distilling (not sure about beer making) are from
          > Lallemand - see:
          > http://www.lallemandwine.us/products/yeast_chart.php
          > for a listing of their products.
          >
          > I personally perfer Lalvin EC-1118 (largest seller in the world they
          > say), a very nice champaigne yeast (Saccharomyces bayanus) which can
          > ferment up to 18% - very fast acting and competitive. Done alot of
          > sugar washes and Sour mash corn whiskey mashes with no complaints...
          >
          > Vino es Veritas,
          > Jim.

          I actually get great results from baking yeast. I've used Red Star bulk yeast
          in the past with fantastic results. I have a bulk pack of Fermipan that I'll
          be using when I kick off my next round of batches.

          I use beer/wine yeast for just that, but I'll use the slurry from a batch for a
          distilling wash. I always pitch fresh for brewing...I'm not so picky when it
          comes to something bound for the still.

          Trid
          -though I may change that to see how it turns out