What it's about (was) Re: Making whisky

    Message 1 of 28 , Mar 3 12:10 PM

      So, now that you've digested that little bit of info on reading charts, let's put it to something really worthwhile, particularly for pot distillers (you with me Jim?)

      Use such a chart to work out what you should dilute your second run down to, to recover hearts at a pre-determined strength (ain't that neat?)

      All you gotta do is work backwards & draw in the necessary lines.  To illustrate (again with Sherman's base graph)...

      It's not absolutely accurate, because you will have small amounts of heads & tails included, but it is close enough to use as a reliable guide or 'rule-of-thumb'.

      If you want to know a whole lot more about the why's or advantages of diluting the still charge, have a read of my paper in the Library...
      http://distillers.tastylime.net/library/Diluting_the_still_charge/

      HTH

    • duds2u
      Message 2 of 28 , Mar 3 2:42 PM
        I think a light just came on for me.
        Thanks Harry. I had read that chart a number of times and had never
        considered using it in reverse to work out a dilution to give me a
        specified final ABV%.
        I just happen to have something fermenting in the shed that will get
        a slightly different treatment to my previous efforts.
        It will be interesting to taste the results.

        > So, now that you've digested that little bit of info on reading
        charts,
        > let's put it to something really worthwhile, particularly for pot
        > distillers (you with me Jim?)
        >
        > Use such a chart to work out what you should dilute your second run
        down
        > to, to recover hearts at a pre-determined strength (ain't that
        neat?)

        > All you gotta do is work backwards & draw in the necessary lines.
        > illustrate (again with Sherman's base graph)...
        >

        > It's not absolutely accurate, because you will have small amounts of
        > heads & tails included, but it is close enough to use as a reliable
        > guide or 'rule-of-thumb'.
        >
        > If you want to know a whole lot more about the why's or advantages
        of
        > diluting the still charge, have a read of my paper in the Library...
        > http://distillers.tastylime.net/library/Diluting_the_still_charge/
        > <http://distillers.tastylime.net/library/Diluting_the_still_charge/>
        >

        > HTH
        >
        > Slainte!
        > regards Harry
        > http://distillers.tastylime.net/library/
        > <http://distillers.tastylime.net/library/>

      • gff_stwrt
        Message 3 of 28 , Mar 3 5:45 PM
          Hi, Todd and Peter, hi folks,

          Todd, can you tell me, is your Bokakob still the slant plate one
          or another of his designs?

          And have you used a two-inch column?

          I am thinking of making the slant plate one some day, after I
          get better at operating my pot still.

          And I am thinking of using a small (maybe ten imperial gallons,
          which I think is fortyseven litres) hot-water system boiler for my
          pot still, instead of the liquid propane gas one I use now. Perhaps
          the two-inch column I use now is not big enough for the 3,6oo watt
          element.

          If so I will either have to use a bigger-diameter column, or
          replace the element with a lower-rated one.

          What do you more experienced distillers think?

          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "toddk63" <toddk63@...> wrote:

          > I run a 48" BOK as a pot still for my corn. I leave just a couple
          of
          > scrubbers at the top ( about 6 to 8" of scrubbers). For the
          strip, I
          > run it wide open and about 3200W (measured at the condenser) until
          > about 211°F at the top. The strip cuts the volume and increases
          > strength 4x. Theoretical is about 3x to give you an idea of any
          > natural reflux going on. For the spirit run, same hardware setup.
          Run
          > it about half the power as the strip (1600W). I may pinch the
          > off-take valve back a bit just for the foreshots, then open it wide
          > and just watch my cuts. No intentional reflux...none! This run
          brings
          > my 30% low wines up to about 75% in the main cut.
          >
          > So lose all but a bit of packing and leave that off take valve open
          > and you'll be fine.
          >
          > I admire and respect Smiley for much of his book on corn whiskey,
          but
          > when it comes to his method of reflux still and cuts, I never
          could do
          > it either. So I tried simple pot stilling and have never gone
          back.

          > Good Luck,
          >
          > Todd K.
          >

          > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "peter442737" <peter.coleman20@>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi Mason
          > > The 3 stripping runs were done without the packing and they were
          fine
          > > they produced 50% no problem. In the final run I tried to make
          the
          > > cuts as per Smiley's Corn book but obviously failed miserably.
          The
          > > Two Cup Bok still is great. No probs with that can produce 95%
          > > fine. I think like you say I will have to try without packing.
          > > Worked out the ratios of the cuts from the Corn Book and it did
          seem
          > > that the smell and the taste had guided me in the right
          direction.
          > > Ah well thats inexperience for you. Will try again.
          > > Thanks PC

        • jamesonbeam1
          Message 4 of 28 , Mar 3 6:15 PM

            Yes  Harry,

            Right with ya boss.  As a matter of fact, I studied this chart way before I found this forum and started distilling and  posting here.  I found this by accident, (not as concise of course)  and the theory behind it on a site of  Tony Ackland's - HomeDistllers.com: http://homedistiller.org/theory.htm#strong

            It took me a while, but finally figured out what  them red and blue lines ment.  However, being the lazy  SOB (self-made of course :) distiller that i am, ended up using that self-calculating table below it, instead of trying to extrapolate the lines.

            I also studied the theory behind reflux still design and theoretical plates (believe it was developed by McCabe-Thiele)  at: http://homedistiller.org/refluxdesign.htm and finally figured out that a pot still is one plate, and each additional plate equals a second, third or 4th distillation on a pot still, till azerotrope is reached (impossible on a pot still of course).

            (and BTW Sherman and Harry, what a great job ya'll did on improving and connotating that chart, im really impressed - wish i'd had it a year ago - would a kept me sober a bit longer and been so much simpler :):):).

            Im very sorry if  offending anyone by my comments, but the point I was trying to make, is that i still cant understand why folks would do stripping runs on a reflux still, without taking the packing out and running it wide open like a pot still, then doing the spirits run with cuts the same way (as Todd K stated), and I appologize.

            Vino es Veritas,

            Jim.

            Message 5 of 28 , Mar 3 9:25 PM

              > Im very sorry if offending anyone by my comments, but the point I was
              > trying to make, is that i still cant understand why folks would do
              > stripping runs on a reflux still, without taking the packing out and
              > running it wide open like a pot still, then doing the spirits run with
              > cuts the same way (as Todd K stated), and I appologize.
              >
              > Vino es Veritas,
              >
              > Jim.

              No offence taken Jim, so you've got nothing to apologise for. There's
              too much fun happening here for molecule-sized things to be rocking the
              boat.

              Re stripping & reflux stills: The main reason for doing it (or should
              be) is to rapidly separate most of the water, AND any residual
              unfermented sugars (some sugars, like dextrins, are non-fermentable
              normally as you will be aware). If you were to reflux these for a
              prolonged period (some reflux stills apply heat for 8-10 hrs or more)
              then there's a REAL chance that you'll end up with a burnt taste
              through your distillate, which no amount of post-treatment (carbon or
              otherwise) will remove. Rapid stripping to separate these non-
              fermentables followed by a second slow distillation of the strippate
              will always result in an improved (not burnt) product suitable for GNS
              or vodkas. Of course if brown spirits is the goal, then a pot still is
              a more sensible option, but it can be achieved with a de-tuned reflux
              still, in which case the burnt issue might actually be an advantage (as
              in some rums).

              Hope this explains it.

            • toddk63
              Message 6 of 28 , Mar 4 1:40 PM
                Its the SR (Single Reducer) design. Yes 2" column

                2" column would be perfect with your 3600W element so long as you have
                a variac or other temp controller. It may be a bit much without the
                temp controller.

                Todd K.