RE: [Distillers] Re: Making whisky

  • Robert Hubble
    Message 1 of 28 , Mar 2, 2008
      Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

      ________________________________

      To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
      From: jamesonbeam1@...
      Date: Sun, 2 Mar 2008 03:48:53 +0000
      Subject: [Distillers] Re: Making whisky

      Hey, Jim,

      I hear ya, but I'm ok with the fact that some large percentage of us are using
      whiz-bang engineering to produce what's essentially V2 rocket fuel. It's just that
      it seems like a whole lot of work to make something I don't want; vodka is my
      *least* favorite booze. True, I use my "neutral" stuff to make gin and liqueurs,
      but mostly I can get that from redistilled feints.

      The only times the refluxers get just a *bit* of my goat is when they assume we
      are all refluxers, and that it's the *only* sensible thing to do.

      Also it cracks me up to hear that, even when tuned to the gills to produce the
      azeotrope, some have to carbon filter to remove bad flavors. My hearts, and I'll
      bet yours also, are smooth and sweet right out of the condenser, with *zero*
      bad flavors, even if they*do* get better with time, oxygen, and oak. I don't
      know how many times I've had newbies with me on a still run, especially a spirit
      run, express amazement at how that white stuff at the outlet compares so well
      with their favorite booze.

      So, let's just suffer the slings and arrows, and tip a glass of that gorgeous
      brown stuff to each other.

      Here's lookin' up yer old address.

      Zymurgy Bob,
      a simple potstiller

      Sigh Zymurgy Bob,

      Looks like folk such as us are in the wrong world here... Maybe
      they should change the name of this forum to "Distillers - For Reflux
      Beverage Ethanol Distillers" :(:(:(

      Vino es Veritas,
      Jim.

      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Robert Hubble
      wrote:

      > Well, *this* should produce a lively thread, especially among the
      potstillers.Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

      > To: Distillers@...: larry@...: Sat, 1 Mar 2008 18:03:02 -
      0600Subject: [Distillers] Re: Making whisky

      > At 04:13 PM 03/01/2008, you wrote:> Depending on the abv of you
      mash and input temp, your stripping runs> should only run about
      50>to 55% for the low wines (least my little pot still does.)%ABV of
      the mash isn't related at all to %ABV of the output.A 2% mash would
      produce the exact same output percentage as a 20% wash...

      ----snip----

    • toddk63
      Message 2 of 28 , Mar 2, 2008
        I run a 48" BOK as a pot still for my corn. I leave just a couple of
        scrubbers at the top ( about 6 to 8" of scrubbers). For the strip, I
        run it wide open and about 3200W (measured at the condenser) until
        about 211°F at the top. The strip cuts the volume and increases
        strength 4x. Theoretical is about 3x to give you an idea of any
        natural reflux going on. For the spirit run, same hardware setup. Run
        it about half the power as the strip (1600W). I may pinch the
        off-take valve back a bit just for the foreshots, then open it wide
        and just watch my cuts. No intentional reflux...none! This run brings
        my 30% low wines up to about 75% in the main cut.

        So lose all but a bit of packing and leave that off take valve open
        and you'll be fine.

        I admire and respect Smiley for much of his book on corn whiskey, but
        when it comes to his method of reflux still and cuts, I never could do
        it either. So I tried simple pot stilling and have never gone back.

        Good Luck,

        Todd K.

        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "peter442737" <peter.coleman20@...>
        wrote:

        > Hi Mason
        > The 3 stripping runs were done without the packing and they were fine
        > they produced 50% no problem. In the final run I tried to make the
        > cuts as per Smiley's Corn book but obviously failed miserably. The
        > Two Cup Bok still is great. No probs with that can produce 95%
        > fine. I think like you say I will have to try without packing.
        > Worked out the ratios of the cuts from the Corn Book and it did seem
        > that the smell and the taste had guided me in the right direction.
        > Ah well thats inexperience for you. Will try again.
        > Thanks PC

      • jamesonbeam1
        Message 3 of 28 , Mar 2, 2008
          In 100% agreement there Bob,

          I always mix alot of heads in with the middle run for the right taste.

          Its just kinda sad though that a few folks here dont understand or
          appreciate some of the benifits of them "ancient, old fashioned,
          simple pot stills".

          ToddK, pretty much stated it in the previous posting on this subject:

          "I admire and respect Smiley for much of his book on corn whiskey,
          but when it comes to his method of reflux still and cuts, I never
          could do it either. So I tried simple pot stilling and have never
          gone back.

          Good Luck,
          Todd K."

          BTW, my father was in the Navy in WWII and used to tell stories of
          how the sailors would bribe them submariners for their
          famous "torpedo juice" (believe it was the Type 42s that ran off of
          ethanol), mix it with orange drink powder and have "TP parties" lol.

          A Votra Sante Aussi.

          Vino es Veritas,
          Jim.

          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Robert Hubble <zymurgybob@...>

        • abbababbaccc
          Message 4 of 28 , Mar 2, 2008
            I've noticed this too and it makes me wonder, is heads cut really
            necessary at all? Now those traditonal distilleries in Scotland
            recycle their heads over and over again. Eventually they should get
            so concentrated with lower boiling point components that in practise
            all the stuff from the mash gets to the middle cut. Of course the
            final product won't have that taste as lot's of heads from the
            whiskey evaporates as angels share. As we all know low temperature
            evaporation hits heads components the hardest. Another thing is that
            the oak itself converts many unwanted congeners to more palatable
            compunds.

            This made me remember, I have somewhere two quarts of whiskey on oak
            that I madde without the heads cut. I may have to sample that one of
            these days, maybe even apply the low temperature evaporation
            principle to that and see how it turns out.

            Cheers, Riku

            > I always mix alot of heads in with the middle run for the right
            taste.

          • duds2u
            Message 5 of 28 , Mar 3, 2008
              If my merory serves me correctly the orange juice powder was
              called "limers". Tasted like "shite" but would overpower "any known to
              man" flavour that sailors would mix it with.
              Cheers
              Mal T.

              BTW, my father was in the Navy in WWII and used to tell stories of
              > how the sailors would bribe them submariners for their
              > famous "torpedo juice" (believe it was the Type 42s that ran off of
              > ethanol), mix it with orange drink powder and have "TP parties" lol.
              >
              > A Votra Sante Aussi.
              >
              > Vino es Veritas,
              > Jim.

            • duds2u
              Message 6 of 28 , Mar 3, 2008
                Take a dram of Glenmorangie and I defy anyone that has not been
                making their own Whisky for a period of time to say that there is not
                an acetone (read - heads flavour) as a subtle flavour adjunct.

                > I've noticed this too and it makes me wonder, is heads cut really
                > necessary at all? Now those traditonal distilleries in Scotland
                > recycle their heads over and over again. Eventually they should get
                > so concentrated with lower boiling point components that in
                practise
                > all the stuff from the mash gets to the middle cut. Of course the
                > final product won't have that taste as lot's of heads from the
                > whiskey evaporates as angels share. As we all know low temperature
                > evaporation hits heads components the hardest. Another thing is
                that
                > the oak itself converts many unwanted congeners to more palatable
                > compunds.
                >
                > This made me remember, I have somewhere two quarts of whiskey on
                oak
                > that I madde without the heads cut. I may have to sample that one
                of
                > these days, maybe even apply the low temperature evaporation
                > principle to that and see how it turns out.
                >
                > Cheers, Riku
                >
                > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "jamesonbeam1" <jamesonbeam1@>
                > wrote:
                > >

                > > I always mix alot of heads in with the middle run for the right
                > taste.

              • duds2u
                Message 7 of 28 , Mar 3, 2008
                  Sorry Members but somehow I managed to split the reply post.
                  Bugger
                  Cheers
                  Mal T.
                • mavnkaf
                  Message 8 of 28 , Mar 3, 2008
                    Harry, your a smart ass!! And I like it,.. just those two names
                    opened a whole lot of reading for free, no illegal stuff here. I like
                    your way of thinking. Just one link I found which I'm trying to get my
                    head around.

                    http://tinyurl.com/ynn7wh

                    My head hurts!!

                    Cheer

                    Marc

                    --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Harry <gnikomson2000@...> wrote:

                    > Mssrs. McCabe & Theile musta been talking through their hats. :)
                    >
                    > Slainte!
                    > regards Harry
                    > http://distillers.tastylime.net/library/
                    > =======================================
                  • Sherman
                    Message 9 of 28 , Mar 3, 2008
                      Yes the liquid vapor equilibrium is hard to understand.
                      I made a graph using some equations from HD that gives a practical
                      application of that concept as related to ethanol and water.
                      here is an example with instructions.
                      http://tinyurl.com/ytxwre
                      here is the graph in F http://tinyurl.com/28xnt9
                      and one in C http://tinyurl.com/ywfw2l

                      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "mavnkaf" <mavnkaf@...> wrote:

                      > Harry, your a smart ass!! And I like it,.. just those two names
                      > opened a whole lot of reading for free, no illegal stuff here. I like
                      > your way of thinking. Just one link I found which I'm trying to get my
                      > head around.
                      >
                      > http://tinyurl.com/ynn7wh
                      >
                      > My head hurts!!
                      >
                      > Cheer
                      >
                      > Marc
                      >

                      > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Harry <gnikomson2000@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Mssrs. McCabe & Theile musta been talking through their hats. :)
                      > >
                      > > Slainte!
                      > > regards Harry
                      > > http://distillers.tastylime.net/library/
                      > > =======================================

                    • mavnkaf
                      Message 10 of 28 , Mar 3, 2008
                        Thanks Sherman,

                        Thats not the only thing that is confusing me at the moment. I'm
                        trying to work out the best way to use a 1 inch full bore ball valve
                        in a side draft arm VM still?

                        I better post that in a thread of it own:))

                        Cheers
                        Marc

                        Message 11 of 28 , Mar 3, 2008

                          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Sherman" <pintoshine@...> wrote:

                          > Yes the liquid vapor equilibrium is hard to understand.
                          > I made a graph using some equations from HD that gives a practical
                          > application of that concept as related to ethanol and water.
                          > here is an example with instructions.
                          > http://tinyurl.com/ytxwre
                          > here is the graph in F http://tinyurl.com/28xnt9
                          > and one in C http://tinyurl.com/ywfw2l

                          Good charts, Sherman.  That shows the result of one (1) simple distillation with a given starting mash percentage (proving that mash %age is relevant).

                          Now draw in a second, and third, and fourth set of lines using the resulting yield strength of each simple distillation (in the interests of education, I temporarily borrowed your diagram to illustrate, Sherman.  Hope you don't mind).

                          What you have is the beginnings of a McCabe-Thiele diagram.  It begins to look like a flight of stairs.  Each 'step' is a simple distillation.  Also equivalent to a 'theoretical plate'.  See where this is going?

                          It takes more & more 'plates' (simple distillations) which are closer & closer together in terms of starting point to yield strength, to increase the ethanol percentage and eventually arrive at azeotrope.

                          If you count the 'plates' (steps), that's how many you need in a plate or tray column (plus a few extra to allow for inefficiencies).  For packed columns, other formulae are used to arrive at an amount and height of packing aka HETP or Height Equivalent of each Theoretical Plate.

                          As you can see, most of the gains are at the low number of distillations (2 or 3).  After that, it becomes a merry-go-round of inputting more energy for not much gain.  Thus two runs in a pot still is usually sufficient for most purposes (brown spirits).  But you need to go all the way if you want purity for Grain Neutral Spirits (GNS) or vodka.

                          This might help people get a handle on why we build our various stills (pot and reflux/fractioning) like we do (see Jim?  We're not just a 'reflux' group).  =P~

                          HTH

                          Message 12 of 28 , Mar 3, 2008

                            So, now that you've digested that little bit of info on reading charts, let's put it to something really worthwhile, particularly for pot distillers (you with me Jim?)

                            Use such a chart to work out what you should dilute your second run down to, to recover hearts at a pre-determined strength (ain't that neat?)

                            All you gotta do is work backwards & draw in the necessary lines.  To illustrate (again with Sherman's base graph)...

                            It's not absolutely accurate, because you will have small amounts of heads & tails included, but it is close enough to use as a reliable guide or 'rule-of-thumb'.

                            If you want to know a whole lot more about the why's or advantages of diluting the still charge, have a read of my paper in the Library...
                            http://distillers.tastylime.net/library/Diluting_the_still_charge/

                            HTH

                          • duds2u
                            Message 13 of 28 , Mar 3, 2008
                              I think a light just came on for me.
                              Thanks Harry. I had read that chart a number of times and had never
                              considered using it in reverse to work out a dilution to give me a
                              specified final ABV%.
                              I just happen to have something fermenting in the shed that will get
                              a slightly different treatment to my previous efforts.
                              It will be interesting to taste the results.

                              > So, now that you've digested that little bit of info on reading
                              charts,
                              > let's put it to something really worthwhile, particularly for pot
                              > distillers (you with me Jim?)
                              >
                              > Use such a chart to work out what you should dilute your second run
                              down
                              > to, to recover hearts at a pre-determined strength (ain't that
                              neat?)

                              > All you gotta do is work backwards & draw in the necessary lines.
                              > illustrate (again with Sherman's base graph)...
                              >

                              > It's not absolutely accurate, because you will have small amounts of
                              > heads & tails included, but it is close enough to use as a reliable
                              > guide or 'rule-of-thumb'.
                              >
                              > If you want to know a whole lot more about the why's or advantages
                              of
                              > diluting the still charge, have a read of my paper in the Library...
                              > http://distillers.tastylime.net/library/Diluting_the_still_charge/
                              > <http://distillers.tastylime.net/library/Diluting_the_still_charge/>
                              >

                              > HTH
                              >
                              > Slainte!
                              > regards Harry
                              > http://distillers.tastylime.net/library/
                              > <http://distillers.tastylime.net/library/>

                            • gff_stwrt
                              Message 14 of 28 , Mar 3, 2008
                                Hi, Todd and Peter, hi folks,

                                Todd, can you tell me, is your Bokakob still the slant plate one
                                or another of his designs?

                                And have you used a two-inch column?

                                I am thinking of making the slant plate one some day, after I
                                get better at operating my pot still.

                                And I am thinking of using a small (maybe ten imperial gallons,
                                which I think is fortyseven litres) hot-water system boiler for my
                                pot still, instead of the liquid propane gas one I use now. Perhaps
                                the two-inch column I use now is not big enough for the 3,6oo watt
                                element.

                                If so I will either have to use a bigger-diameter column, or
                                replace the element with a lower-rated one.

                                What do you more experienced distillers think?

                                --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "toddk63" <toddk63@...> wrote:

                                > I run a 48" BOK as a pot still for my corn. I leave just a couple
                                of
                                > scrubbers at the top ( about 6 to 8" of scrubbers). For the
                                strip, I
                                > run it wide open and about 3200W (measured at the condenser) until
                                > about 211°F at the top. The strip cuts the volume and increases
                                > strength 4x. Theoretical is about 3x to give you an idea of any
                                > natural reflux going on. For the spirit run, same hardware setup.
                                Run
                                > it about half the power as the strip (1600W). I may pinch the
                                > off-take valve back a bit just for the foreshots, then open it wide
                                > and just watch my cuts. No intentional reflux...none! This run
                                brings
                                > my 30% low wines up to about 75% in the main cut.
                                >
                                > So lose all but a bit of packing and leave that off take valve open
                                > and you'll be fine.
                                >
                                > I admire and respect Smiley for much of his book on corn whiskey,
                                but
                                > when it comes to his method of reflux still and cuts, I never
                                could do
                                > it either. So I tried simple pot stilling and have never gone
                                back.

                                > Good Luck,
                                >
                                > Todd K.
                                >

                                > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "peter442737" <peter.coleman20@>
                                > wrote:
                                > >
                                > > Hi Mason
                                > > The 3 stripping runs were done without the packing and they were
                                fine
                                > > they produced 50% no problem. In the final run I tried to make
                                the
                                > > cuts as per Smiley's Corn book but obviously failed miserably.
                                The
                                > > Two Cup Bok still is great. No probs with that can produce 95%
                                > > fine. I think like you say I will have to try without packing.
                                > > Worked out the ratios of the cuts from the Corn Book and it did
                                seem
                                > > that the smell and the taste had guided me in the right
                                direction.
                                > > Ah well thats inexperience for you. Will try again.
                                > > Thanks PC

                              • jamesonbeam1
                                Message 15 of 28 , Mar 3, 2008

                                  Yes  Harry,

                                  Right with ya boss.  As a matter of fact, I studied this chart way before I found this forum and started distilling and  posting here.  I found this by accident, (not as concise of course)  and the theory behind it on a site of  Tony Ackland's - HomeDistllers.com: http://homedistiller.org/theory.htm#strong

                                  It took me a while, but finally figured out what  them red and blue lines ment.  However, being the lazy  SOB (self-made of course :) distiller that i am, ended up using that self-calculating table below it, instead of trying to extrapolate the lines.

                                  I also studied the theory behind reflux still design and theoretical plates (believe it was developed by McCabe-Thiele)  at: http://homedistiller.org/refluxdesign.htm and finally figured out that a pot still is one plate, and each additional plate equals a second, third or 4th distillation on a pot still, till azerotrope is reached (impossible on a pot still of course).

                                  (and BTW Sherman and Harry, what a great job ya'll did on improving and connotating that chart, im really impressed - wish i'd had it a year ago - would a kept me sober a bit longer and been so much simpler :):):).

                                  Im very sorry if  offending anyone by my comments, but the point I was trying to make, is that i still cant understand why folks would do stripping runs on a reflux still, without taking the packing out and running it wide open like a pot still, then doing the spirits run with cuts the same way (as Todd K stated), and I appologize.

                                  Vino es Veritas,

                                  Jim.

                                  Message 16 of 28 , Mar 3, 2008

                                    > Im very sorry if offending anyone by my comments, but the point I was
                                    > trying to make, is that i still cant understand why folks would do
                                    > stripping runs on a reflux still, without taking the packing out and
                                    > running it wide open like a pot still, then doing the spirits run with
                                    > cuts the same way (as Todd K stated), and I appologize.
                                    >
                                    > Vino es Veritas,
                                    >
                                    > Jim.

                                    No offence taken Jim, so you've got nothing to apologise for. There's
                                    too much fun happening here for molecule-sized things to be rocking the
                                    boat.

                                    Re stripping & reflux stills: The main reason for doing it (or should
                                    be) is to rapidly separate most of the water, AND any residual
                                    unfermented sugars (some sugars, like dextrins, are non-fermentable
                                    normally as you will be aware). If you were to reflux these for a
                                    prolonged period (some reflux stills apply heat for 8-10 hrs or more)
                                    then there's a REAL chance that you'll end up with a burnt taste
                                    through your distillate, which no amount of post-treatment (carbon or
                                    otherwise) will remove. Rapid stripping to separate these non-
                                    fermentables followed by a second slow distillation of the strippate
                                    will always result in an improved (not burnt) product suitable for GNS
                                    or vodkas. Of course if brown spirits is the goal, then a pot still is
                                    a more sensible option, but it can be achieved with a de-tuned reflux
                                    still, in which case the burnt issue might actually be an advantage (as
                                    in some rums).

                                    Hope this explains it.

                                  • toddk63
                                    Message 17 of 28 , Mar 4, 2008
                                      Its the SR (Single Reducer) design. Yes 2" column

                                      2" column would be perfect with your 3600W element so long as you have
                                      a variac or other temp controller. It may be a bit much without the
                                      temp controller.

                                      Todd K.