Re: Book download

  • abbababbaccc
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 1, 2008
      I think it's best not to publish those links as the material is
      copyrighted. Besides exploiting Mikes and Ian of their hard work does
      not sound like a fair play to me.

      I personally own (means I've actually purchased and paid for) those
      first editions that have been copied around the net and after
      receiving the second editions in book form I just wish I had bought
      them once they got out. Might have saved me a few haedaches ;)

      Cheers, Riku

      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 1, 2008

        > I think it's best not to publish those links as the material is
        > copyrighted. Besides exploiting Mikes and Ian of their hard work
        does
        > not sound like a fair play to me.
        >
        > I personally own (means I've actually purchased and paid for) those
        > first editions that have been copied around the net and after
        > receiving the second editions in book form I just wish I had bought
        > them once they got out. Might have saved me a few haedaches ;)
        >
        > Cheers, Riku
        >
        > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "tyler_97355" <kd7enm@> wrote:
        > >
        > > I just found a download for "The Compleat Distiller" and "Making
        Pure
        > > Corn Whiskey". However, I feel that there are some copyright
        issues
        > > here. They wouldn't be trying to sell these books if there was a
        free
        > > download of it. Personally, I have already purchased these two
        book,
        > > and in my opinion, they are the best homedistilling books that i
        have
        > > found. However, I feel that by sharing the links to this free
        > > download, I am in a way hurting those who have helped us become
        better
        > > distillers. So I am now asking the group: what do you think?
        > >
        > > -Tyler

        > I think it's best not to publish those links as the material is
        > copyrighted. Besides exploiting Mikes and Ian of their hard work
        does
        > not sound like a fair play to me.
        >
        > I personally own (means I've actually purchased and paid for) those
        > first editions that have been copied around the net and after
        > receiving the second editions in book form I just wish I had bought
        > them once they got out. Might have saved me a few haedaches ;)
        >
        > Cheers, Riku
        >
        > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "tyler_97355" <kd7enm@> wrote:
        > >
        > > I just found a download for "The Compleat Distiller" and "Making
        Pure
        > > Corn Whiskey". However, I feel that there are some copyright
        issues
        > > here. They wouldn't be trying to sell these books if there was a
        free
        > > download of it. Personally, I have already purchased these two
        book,
        > > and in my opinion, they are the best homedistilling books that i
        have
        > > found. However, I feel that by sharing the links to this free
        > > download, I am in a way hurting those who have helped us become
        better
        > > distillers. So I am now asking the group: what do you think?
        > >
        > > -Tyler

        Copyright is a legal issue. It can also be a moral issue. The very
        nature of our hobby means in reality that most of us have little
        concern for legalities. As for morality, well I guess you are your
        own judge on that one.

        The problem with electronic literature is that once it's on the 'net,
        it's in a domain that is accessible by the public, whatever their
        bent or expertise may be. And it's there forever. This is NOT the
        same as declaring something to be "Public Domain". That's different
        altogether.

        My personal belief is that the publishers of these works were too
        hasty in releasing them as electronic copies without fully protecting
        them. There is software around to wrap them, tie each copy to a
        particular machine. If it is activated on a different machine, it
        won't open using the original licence number, or in some of the good
        ones it opens to a "sample" chapter only, with a link to where a
        genuine licence number can be purchased.

        This is the ultimate. It is called "viral marketing". Instead of a
        copy being stolen, it now acts as a marketing tool, and spreads the
        word and a sample of the author's work with a link to instantly buy a
        licence to activate the copy. Impulse purchasing at its best. :)

        If all the publishers of electronic books would adopt this approach,
        it would put the issue to bed forever, and make a lot more money for
        their efforts. Everyone wants to "try before they buy", and this is
        the best way. Similar to thumbing through a REAL BOOK in the store
        before buying.

      • tyler_97355
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 2, 2008
          Harry makes a good point. Most of us are practicing this hobby in a
          country that considers it illegal. However, for some reason it just
          doesn't feel right to me to link those files. The way I see it, if
          someone wants it bad enough, they will either buy the books, or search
          for the links on their own.

          Sorry I brought my personal battle of good and evil into a public setting.

          -Tyler
        • Peggy
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 2, 2008
            Hello Tyler,

            Right and wrong are a matter of local custom. However, when it doesn't feel
            good... do what is right and sleep at night. And if the motives are not
            devious or greedy, then I sleep just fine.

            As an author of fuel ethanol books, I am not offering them online because of
            the passing on of information by public pirating. I liked Harry's ideas
            about safeguarding works and sent the idea to our web people to consider.

            Respecting the ability of the author to receive remuneration for works
            produced, even when it brings joy and a sense of accomplishment to produce a
            work, stimulates a 'best' effort for presentation. No one wants to download
            ill prepared works. If a publication is offered for sale, then the writer
            considers the publication more than a hobby. It is offensive to circumvent
            the author's expectations--especially with a new work.

            Thanks for the opportunity to express an opinion. Now back to distilling
            for the sake of personal freedom and not necessarily cost considerations or
            tax avoidance. Taking a hobby seriously often brings the best in innovation
            and application.

            Best wishes,
            Peggy

            Harry makes a good point. Most of us are practicing this hobby in a
            country that considers it illegal. However, for some reason it just
            doesn't feel right to me to link those files. The way I see it, if
            someone wants it bad enough, they will either buy the books, or search
            for the links on their own.

            Sorry I brought my personal battle of good and evil into a public setting.

            -Tyler

            Distillers list archives :
            http://www.taet.com.au/distillers.nsf/

            FAQ, Howto distil etc. :
            http://homedistiller.org
            Yahoo! Groups Links
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 2, 2008
              --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "tyler_97355" <kd7enm@...> wrote:

              > Harry makes a good point. Most of us are practicing this hobby in a
              > country that considers it illegal. However, for some reason it just
              > doesn't feel right to me to link those files. The way I see it, if
              > someone wants it bad enough, they will either buy the books, or search
              > for the links on their own.
              >
              > Sorry I brought my personal battle of good and evil into a public setting.
              >
              > -Tyler

              I hope you didn't get me wrong, Tyler.  That was just one observation I made.  The real point of my email is this...
              The sole reason this whole theft situation has come about is because of laxness by publishers or lack of knowledge by authors.
              Publishers are putting their authors literature to the web without proper protection.  They are doing themselves, their authors and the industry in general a dis-service.
              Temptation is as old as mankind.  If you leave a valuable item in your front yard, it will disappear overnight.  But chain a guard dog to it and the situation is somewhat different.  So to with internet items.
              Authors in general are reluctant to turn their works into ebooks for fear of them being stolen and losing revenue.  Peggy is a case in point.  The Mikes and Dr Stone and Ian Smiley have missed out on considerable earnings because their works are out there in any number of torrents and cracksites.
              Have you noticed that I don't have them in my Alcohol Library?  I would dearly love to have them for display, as I believe they are definitive works pertaining to our hobby, and should be promoted.  What better place than the Library, which is browsed by almost everyone with an interest in this hobby?
              Yet the aforementioned works IN THEIR PRESENT FORM, could never be displayed there, because they are NOT SECURED!  Further, the authors don't want them there because of the threat from loss of revenue. Therefore authors are closing off a potential dedicated free advertising and promotional outlet!

              However, if the books were wrapped and secured properly, they would become their own marketing tool, in a place dedicated to the special interest groups whom these books are aimed at.  So it's up to the authors to pressure their publishers to MAKE the things secure BEFORE RELEASE!
              I'll wager a year's pay that if they were offered as secured samples, all the aforementioned authors would see a huge increase in sales and revenue.  We have new members joining at the rate of 30 per day.  That's a lot of potential booksales, guys.
              I am thinking very seriously of re-arranging my Alcohol Library with just this aim in mind.  Putting up secured only literature.  Of course that means that I would have to become a publisher also, to guarantee the authors who submit works that I would wrap and secure them for display.
              I have been asked countless times by people why I don't offer the Library articles for download as pdf's.  Now you know why.  It would promote theft.  But SECURED pdf's could be displayed, and downloaded, and everyone would benefit: Authors, publishers, distributors and of course the consumers.
              Below my sigline is an outline of what secure wrapping is capable of.  As this is now getting into the commercial area, if any authors want to discuss this concept further, contact me off-list at
              gnikomson2000@@... (drop one '@').
              =======================================
              Disclaimer:
              This is not promoting a product, rather it is advising authors of a beneficial concept...

              Do not consider people copying your eBooks as potential thieves - they are potential clients!
              The power of a sample!
              The security wrapper will never completely block access to someone who is interested in taking a look at your eBook. The ones who did not buy your eBook yet are shown a sample of it. This means that once your eBook is under the security wrapper protection, you can send your eBook everywhere in every way you can!
              The more people see your eBook's sample, the more sales you'll get!
              Who decides what's in your sample? You do! You put in what you want, what you think will do the best job at selling your eBook. Show some of your eBook's chapters, it's table of content, some interesting quotes and testimonials from your clients... make your sample sell your eBook!
              For example, lets start with one client purchasing your eBook. That client, satisfied with his purchase, sends a copy of your eBook to ten of his friends. Those ten new persons who receive your eBook won't be able to view the full version of your eBook - but they will see the sample. And what happens if the sample you provide is exciting enough to make those people buy your eBook? They will buy it straight from the eBook! This can result in a lot of new sales!
              And now, imagine those 10 persons doing the same thing as your first client did: each one sends a copy of your eBook to 10 of their friends. The sample version of your eBook will now be read by 100 readers. It won't take much time before your eBook reaches thousands of people.
              Since you write your sample eBook, it is in your power to make your sample convert those new readers into clients!
              Everyone who reads the sample eBook will only have to click the "Buy Now!" button directly from inside your sample to purchase your eBook.

            • ragnagna75012 ragnagna75012
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 3, 2008
                .... yep the compleat (hobby) distiller is a very precious tool and perharps a required reading in order to catch what's going on in the homedistiller forum column section. Its original content is that it categorises nicely the different types of stills, and gives designs for the  VM still as well as good designs for differents types of condensors. But the rest of the info can be found in other free documents available on the net.

                Has anyone ever wondered if anyone would have a clue about amphora society if that book hadnt been pirated ? I mean this thing has been a tremendous advertising tool for them, so it aint lost. They can still cash on that [mode Riku=on] do a search on E-ARC for instance[/mode] :)

              • Jack o' the Green
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 3, 2008

                  Thinking about it a bit, I think Harry is right.  Publishers should consider “Electronic literature“  as the ultimate form of

                  marketing. If they included a “buy this book in hard copy now” button, I think they’d make twice what they would normally.

                  Alternatively, buying a electronic licence for half the cover price would work too. ( although I’d always by the paper )

                  Someone downloading a .pdf is no different than walking into a Library and checking out the book. I’ve bought books after

                  deciding the cover price is cheaper than my fine fees would be.

                  Besides, reading a book in .pdf format is terrible! Paper is and I think for a long time to come, the best.

                  Just my 2 bits