Re: Making whisky

  • jamesonbeam1
    Message 1 of 28 , Mar 1, 2008
      Welp Peter,

      Being a simple pot stiller meself, but have been makin lots of Sourmash
      Whiskey, I beleive you need to run that Boka still without any packing
      and wide open = just like a pot still. Forget the packing and refux
      condenser, just use the primary to collect. Depending on the abv of
      you mash and input temp, your stripping runs should only run about 50
      to 55% for the low wines (least my little pot still does.) Then do the
      spirits run to make the cuts (diluting the low wines a bit).

      However, your best bet is to talk to some of the people here that run
      Bokas and ask them the exact method to do this.

      Vino es Veritas,
      Jim.

      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "peter442737" <peter.coleman20@...>
      wrote:

      > tried making my first batch. Ran 3 beer stripping runs of 25 lts
      > getting approx 2.5/3 ltrs per run. Added all to spirit still (33ltr
      > pot bokakob two cup still 43" column with structured copper packing
      and
      > a 1500 watt cooking element. Went through the normal start up up to
      > 78c and started collecting slowly to remove heads. Could not drop
      ABV
      > from approx 93 whatever I tried faster/slower take off/reduced heat.
      > Can anyone advise as to whats went wrong. Product has a kinda
      > firewater flavour (yuk). Any advice will be much appreciated.
      > Regards
      > PC

    • Larry Collins
      Message 2 of 28 , Mar 1, 2008
        At 04:13 PM 03/01/2008, you wrote:
        > Depending on the abv of you mash and input temp, your stripping runs
        > should only run about 50
        >to 55% for the low wines (least my little pot still does.)

        %ABV of the mash isn't related at all to %ABV of the output.

        A 2% mash would produce the exact same output percentage as a 20% wash...
        The 20% wash would just make ten times as much, but at the same %ABV.
      • rye_junkie
        Message 3 of 28 , Mar 1, 2008
          Hello Peter,
          I am not familiar with the 2 cup design but I am with the slant plate
          design and making whiskey with it. Jim is correct. Ditch the
          packing. It strips most if not all of the flavor and you will never
          get the output ABV below 90%. The packing causes too much reflux. If
          you have a needle valve to control output and reflux, set it to about
          10-15ml/minute for your spirit run. This should result in an ABV of
          78-82%. With proper use of the needle valve it is possible to achieve
          75-80%abv in a single run without packing you just have to collect
          very slowly and pay very close attention to your cuts. I have found
          that 2 runs is the way to go.

          Mason

          > Welp Peter,
          >
          > Being a simple pot stiller meself, but have been makin lots of Sourmash
          > Whiskey, I beleive you need to run that Boka still without any packing
          > and wide open = just like a pot still. Forget the packing and refux
          > condenser, just use the primary to collect. Depending on the abv of
          > you mash and input temp, your stripping runs should only run about 50
          > to 55% for the low wines (least my little pot still does.) Then do the
          > spirits run to make the cuts (diluting the low wines a bit).
          >
          > However, your best bet is to talk to some of the people here that run
          > Bokas and ask them the exact method to do this.
          >
          > Vino es Veritas,
          > Jim.
          >
          > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "peter442737" <peter.coleman20@>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > tried making my first batch. Ran 3 beer stripping runs of 25 lts
          > > getting approx 2.5/3 ltrs per run. Added all to spirit still (33ltr
          > > pot bokakob two cup still 43" column with structured copper packing
          > and
          > > a 1500 watt cooking element. Went through the normal start up up to
          > > 78c and started collecting slowly to remove heads. Could not drop
          > ABV
          > > from approx 93 whatever I tried faster/slower take off/reduced heat.
          > > Can anyone advise as to whats went wrong. Product has a kinda
          > > firewater flavour (yuk). Any advice will be much appreciated.
          > > Regards
          > > PC

        • Robert Hubble
          Message 4 of 28 , Mar 1, 2008
            Well, *this* should produce a lively thread, especially among the potstillers.

            Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

            To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
            From: larry@...
            Date: Sat, 1 Mar 2008 18:03:02 -0600
            Subject: [Distillers] Re: Making whisky

            Message 5 of 28 , Mar 1, 2008
              Sigh Zymurgy Bob,

              Looks like folk such as us are in the wrong world here... Maybe
              they should change the name of this forum to "Distillers - For Reflux
              Beverage Ethanol Distillers" :(:(:(

              Vino es Veritas,
              Jim.

              --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Robert Hubble <zymurgybob@...>
              wrote:

              > Well, *this* should produce a lively thread, especially among the
              potstillers.Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

              > To: Distillers@...: larry@...: Sat, 1 Mar 2008 18:03:02 -
              0600Subject: [Distillers] Re: Making whisky

              > At 04:13 PM 03/01/2008, you wrote:> Depending on the abv of you
              mash and input temp, your stripping runs > should only run about
              50>to 55% for the low wines (least my little pot still does.)%ABV of
              the mash isn't related at all to %ABV of the output.A 2% mash would
              produce the exact same output percentage as a 20% wash... The 20%
              wash would just make ten times as much, but at the same %ABV.

              > Helping your favorite cause is as easy as instant messaging. You
              IM, we give.
              > http://im.live.com/Messenger/IM/Home/?source=text_hotmail_join

            • jamesonbeam1
              Message 6 of 28 , Mar 1, 2008
                Welp Hot Dang Larry,

                Guess that blows everything ive ever know about pot stills, and got to
                gits me one of them thar stills your using. Guess I also have to
                forget everything ive learned on HomeDistillers too - especially on
                pot
                still purity and Tony's calculator at

                http://homedistiller.org/pot_calc.htm ....

                Dang, used to rely on that sucker all the time, cause it tells me 20
                liters of 20% abv wash will give me 1166 mL of 67% abv in 20 minutes,
                whereas 20 liters of 2% abv wash would only give me 679 mL of 15%
                after
                20 minutes.... Guess Tony dont know nothin about pot stillin' either
                lol.

                Vino es Veritas,
                Jim.

                PS. Larry, forgets what ya know about reflux stills and read up on
                pot stills :):):).

                --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Larry Collins <larry@...> wrote:

                > At 04:13 PM 03/01/2008, you wrote:
                > > Depending on the abv of you mash and input temp, your stripping
                runs
                > > should only run about 50
                > >to 55% for the low wines (least my little pot still does.)
                >
                > %ABV of the mash isn't related at all to %ABV of the output.
                >
                > A 2% mash would produce the exact same output percentage as a 20%
                wash...
                > The 20% wash would just make ten times as much, but at the same %
                ABV.

              • duds2u
                Message 7 of 28 , Mar 1, 2008
                  I've got me a pot and I've got me a couple of Bok's. Pot is for
                  whisky (no "e") and Boks are for neutral.

                  However, in saying that there should be no problem in making
                  flavoured spirits with an insulated unpacked column with any of the
                  Bokabob designed still heads. You just have to make the right cuts.
                  I haven't done it but I cannot see why you could not.

                  The reason I say insulated unpacked column is because you want to
                  reduce the reflux to retain the flavours. Remember, that with a still
                  output of over 80% ABV you lose most of the flavour. I have a 400 mm
                  column on my pot still and I insulate that because I double distil
                  and am looking for flavour in my whisky's.
                  Cheers
                  Mal T.

                  --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "rye_junkie" <rye_junkie@...>

                  Message 8 of 28 , Mar 2, 2008
                    Mssrs. McCabe & Theile musta been talking through their hats.  :)

                    =======================================

                    To: Distillers@yahoogro ups.com
                    From: larry@traditionmusi c.com
                    Date: Sat, 1 Mar 2008 18:03:02 -0600

                    At 04:13 PM 03/01/2008, you wrote:
                    > Depending on the abv of you mash and input temp, your stripping runs
                    > should only run about 50
                    >to 55% for the low wines (least my little pot still does.)

                    %ABV of the mash isn't related at all to %ABV of the output.

                    A 2% mash would produce the exact same output percentage as a 20% wash...
                    The 20% wash would just make ten times as much, but at the same %ABV.

                  • peter442737
                    Message 9 of 28 , Mar 2, 2008
                      Hi Mason
                      The 3 stripping runs were done without the packing and they were fine
                      they produced 50% no problem. In the final run I tried to make the
                      cuts as per Smiley's Corn book but obviously failed miserably. The
                      Two Cup Bok still is great. No probs with that can produce 95%
                      fine. I think like you say I will have to try without packing.
                      Worked out the ratios of the cuts from the Corn Book and it did seem
                      that the smell and the taste had guided me in the right direction.
                      Ah well thats inexperience for you. Will try again.
                      Thanks PC

                      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "duds2u" <taylormc@...> wrote:

                      > I've got me a pot and I've got me a couple of Bok's. Pot is for
                      > whisky (no "e") and Boks are for neutral.
                      >
                      > However, in saying that there should be no problem in making
                      > flavoured spirits with an insulated unpacked column with any of the
                      > Bokabob designed still heads. You just have to make the right cuts.
                      > I haven't done it but I cannot see why you could not.
                      >
                      > The reason I say insulated unpacked column is because you want to
                      > reduce the reflux to retain the flavours. Remember, that with a
                      still
                      > output of over 80% ABV you lose most of the flavour. I have a 400
                      mm
                      > column on my pot still and I insulate that because I double distil
                      > and am looking for flavour in my whisky's.
                      > Cheers
                      > Mal T.
                      >

                      > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "rye_junkie" <rye_junkie@>
                      > wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Hello Peter,
                      > > I am not familiar with the 2 cup design but I am with the slant
                      > plate
                      > > design and making whiskey with it. Jim is correct. Ditch the
                      > > packing. It strips most if not all of the flavor and you will
                      never
                      > > get the output ABV below 90%. The packing causes too much
                      reflux.
                      > If
                      > > you have a needle valve to control output and reflux, set it to
                      > about
                      > > 10-15ml/minute for your spirit run. This should result in an ABV
                      of
                      > > 78-82%. With proper use of the needle valve it is possible to
                      > achieve
                      > > 75-80%abv in a single run without packing you just have to collect
                      > > very slowly and pay very close attention to your cuts. I have
                      found
                      > > that 2 runs is the way to go.
                      > >
                      > > Mason

                    • Robert Hubble
                      Message 10 of 28 , Mar 2, 2008
                        Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

                        ________________________________

                        To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
                        From: jamesonbeam1@...
                        Date: Sun, 2 Mar 2008 03:48:53 +0000

                        Hey, Jim,

                        I hear ya, but I'm ok with the fact that some large percentage of us are using
                        whiz-bang engineering to produce what's essentially V2 rocket fuel. It's just that
                        it seems like a whole lot of work to make something I don't want; vodka is my
                        *least* favorite booze. True, I use my "neutral" stuff to make gin and liqueurs,
                        but mostly I can get that from redistilled feints.

                        The only times the refluxers get just a *bit* of my goat is when they assume we
                        are all refluxers, and that it's the *only* sensible thing to do.

                        Also it cracks me up to hear that, even when tuned to the gills to produce the
                        azeotrope, some have to carbon filter to remove bad flavors. My hearts, and I'll
                        bet yours also, are smooth and sweet right out of the condenser, with *zero*
                        bad flavors, even if they*do* get better with time, oxygen, and oak. I don't
                        know how many times I've had newbies with me on a still run, especially a spirit
                        run, express amazement at how that white stuff at the outlet compares so well
                        with their favorite booze.

                        So, let's just suffer the slings and arrows, and tip a glass of that gorgeous
                        brown stuff to each other.

                        Here's lookin' up yer old address.

                        Zymurgy Bob,
                        a simple potstiller

                        wrote:

                        > Well, *this* should produce a lively thread, especially among the
                        potstillers.Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

                        > To: Distillers@...: larry@...: Sat, 1 Mar 2008 18:03:02 -
                        0600Subject: [Distillers] Re: Making whisky

                        > At 04:13 PM 03/01/2008, you wrote:> Depending on the abv of you
                        mash and input temp, your stripping runs> should only run about
                        50>to 55% for the low wines (least my little pot still does.)%ABV of
                        the mash isn't related at all to %ABV of the output.A 2% mash would
                        produce the exact same output percentage as a 20% wash...

                        ----snip----

                      • toddk63
                        Message 11 of 28 , Mar 2, 2008
                          I run a 48" BOK as a pot still for my corn. I leave just a couple of
                          scrubbers at the top ( about 6 to 8" of scrubbers). For the strip, I
                          run it wide open and about 3200W (measured at the condenser) until
                          about 211°F at the top. The strip cuts the volume and increases
                          strength 4x. Theoretical is about 3x to give you an idea of any
                          natural reflux going on. For the spirit run, same hardware setup. Run
                          it about half the power as the strip (1600W). I may pinch the
                          off-take valve back a bit just for the foreshots, then open it wide
                          and just watch my cuts. No intentional reflux...none! This run brings
                          my 30% low wines up to about 75% in the main cut.

                          So lose all but a bit of packing and leave that off take valve open
                          and you'll be fine.

                          I admire and respect Smiley for much of his book on corn whiskey, but
                          when it comes to his method of reflux still and cuts, I never could do
                          it either. So I tried simple pot stilling and have never gone back.

                          Good Luck,

                          Todd K.

                          wrote:

                          > Hi Mason
                          > The 3 stripping runs were done without the packing and they were fine
                          > they produced 50% no problem. In the final run I tried to make the
                          > cuts as per Smiley's Corn book but obviously failed miserably. The
                          > Two Cup Bok still is great. No probs with that can produce 95%
                          > fine. I think like you say I will have to try without packing.
                          > Worked out the ratios of the cuts from the Corn Book and it did seem
                          > that the smell and the taste had guided me in the right direction.
                          > Ah well thats inexperience for you. Will try again.
                          > Thanks PC

                        • jamesonbeam1
                          Message 12 of 28 , Mar 2, 2008
                            In 100% agreement there Bob,

                            I always mix alot of heads in with the middle run for the right taste.

                            Its just kinda sad though that a few folks here dont understand or
                            appreciate some of the benifits of them "ancient, old fashioned,
                            simple pot stills".

                            ToddK, pretty much stated it in the previous posting on this subject:

                            "I admire and respect Smiley for much of his book on corn whiskey,
                            but when it comes to his method of reflux still and cuts, I never
                            could do it either. So I tried simple pot stilling and have never
                            gone back.

                            Good Luck,
                            Todd K."

                            BTW, my father was in the Navy in WWII and used to tell stories of
                            how the sailors would bribe them submariners for their
                            famous "torpedo juice" (believe it was the Type 42s that ran off of
                            ethanol), mix it with orange drink powder and have "TP parties" lol.

                            A Votra Sante Aussi.

                            wrote:
                            > To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
                            > From: jamesonbeam1@...
                            > Date: Sun, 2 Mar 2008 03:48:53 +0000
                            > Subject: [Distillers] Re: Making whisky
                            >
                            > Hey, Jim,
                            >
                            > I hear ya, but I'm ok with the fact that some large percentage of
                            us are using
                            > whiz-bang engineering to produce what's essentially V2 rocket fuel.
                            It's just that
                            > it seems like a whole lot of work to make something I don't want;
                            vodka is my
                            > *least* favorite booze. True, I use my "neutral" stuff to make gin
                            and liqueurs,
                            > but mostly I can get that from redistilled feints.
                            >
                            > The only times the refluxers get just a *bit* of my goat is when
                            they assume we
                            > are all refluxers, and that it's the *only* sensible thing to do.
                            >
                            > Also it cracks me up to hear that, even when tuned to the gills to
                            produce the
                            > azeotrope, some have to carbon filter to remove bad flavors. My
                            hearts, and I'll
                            > bet yours also, are smooth and sweet right out of the condenser,
                            with *zero*
                            > bad flavors, even if they*do* get better with time, oxygen, and
                            oak. I don't
                            > know how many times I've had newbies with me on a still run,
                            especially a spirit
                            > run, express amazement at how that white stuff at the outlet
                            compares so well
                            > with their favorite booze.
                            >
                            > So, let's just suffer the slings and arrows, and tip a glass of
                            that gorgeous
                            > brown stuff to each other.
                            >
                            > Here's lookin' up yer old address.
                            >
                            > Zymurgy Bob,
                            > a simple potstiller
                            >

                            > Sigh Zymurgy Bob,
                            >
                            > Looks like folk such as us are in the wrong world here... Maybe
                            > they should change the name of this forum to "Distillers - For
                            Reflux
                            > Beverage Ethanol Distillers" :(:(:(
                            >
                            > Vino es Veritas,
                            > Jim.

                          • abbababbaccc
                            Message 13 of 28 , Mar 2, 2008
                              I've noticed this too and it makes me wonder, is heads cut really
                              necessary at all? Now those traditonal distilleries in Scotland
                              recycle their heads over and over again. Eventually they should get
                              so concentrated with lower boiling point components that in practise
                              all the stuff from the mash gets to the middle cut. Of course the
                              final product won't have that taste as lot's of heads from the
                              whiskey evaporates as angels share. As we all know low temperature
                              evaporation hits heads components the hardest. Another thing is that
                              the oak itself converts many unwanted congeners to more palatable
                              compunds.

                              This made me remember, I have somewhere two quarts of whiskey on oak
                              that I madde without the heads cut. I may have to sample that one of
                              these days, maybe even apply the low temperature evaporation
                              principle to that and see how it turns out.

                              Cheers, Riku

                              > I always mix alot of heads in with the middle run for the right
                              taste.

                            • duds2u
                              Message 14 of 28 , Mar 3, 2008
                                If my merory serves me correctly the orange juice powder was
                                called "limers". Tasted like "shite" but would overpower "any known to
                                man" flavour that sailors would mix it with.
                                Cheers
                                Mal T.

                                BTW, my father was in the Navy in WWII and used to tell stories of
                                > how the sailors would bribe them submariners for their
                                > famous "torpedo juice" (believe it was the Type 42s that ran off of
                                > ethanol), mix it with orange drink powder and have "TP parties" lol.
                                >
                                > A Votra Sante Aussi.
                                >
                                > Vino es Veritas,
                                > Jim.

                              • duds2u
                                Message 15 of 28 , Mar 3, 2008
                                  Take a dram of Glenmorangie and I defy anyone that has not been
                                  making their own Whisky for a period of time to say that there is not
                                  an acetone (read - heads flavour) as a subtle flavour adjunct.

                                  > I've noticed this too and it makes me wonder, is heads cut really
                                  > necessary at all? Now those traditonal distilleries in Scotland
                                  > recycle their heads over and over again. Eventually they should get
                                  > so concentrated with lower boiling point components that in
                                  practise
                                  > all the stuff from the mash gets to the middle cut. Of course the
                                  > final product won't have that taste as lot's of heads from the
                                  > whiskey evaporates as angels share. As we all know low temperature
                                  > evaporation hits heads components the hardest. Another thing is
                                  that
                                  > the oak itself converts many unwanted congeners to more palatable
                                  > compunds.
                                  >
                                  > This made me remember, I have somewhere two quarts of whiskey on
                                  oak
                                  > that I madde without the heads cut. I may have to sample that one
                                  of
                                  > these days, maybe even apply the low temperature evaporation
                                  > principle to that and see how it turns out.
                                  >
                                  > Cheers, Riku
                                  >
                                  > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "jamesonbeam1" <jamesonbeam1@>
                                  > wrote:
                                  > >

                                  > > I always mix alot of heads in with the middle run for the right
                                  > taste.

                                • duds2u
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Mar 3, 2008
                                    Sorry Members but somehow I managed to split the reply post.
                                    Bugger
                                    Cheers
                                    Mal T.
                                  • mavnkaf
                                    Message 17 of 28 , Mar 3, 2008
                                      Harry, your a smart ass!! And I like it,.. just those two names
                                      opened a whole lot of reading for free, no illegal stuff here. I like
                                      your way of thinking. Just one link I found which I'm trying to get my
                                      head around.

                                      http://tinyurl.com/ynn7wh

                                      My head hurts!!

                                      Cheer

                                      Marc

                                      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Harry <gnikomson2000@...> wrote:

                                      > Mssrs. McCabe & Theile musta been talking through their hats. :)
                                      >
                                      > Slainte!
                                      > regards Harry
                                      > http://distillers.tastylime.net/library/
                                      > =======================================
                                    • Sherman
                                      Message 18 of 28 , Mar 3, 2008
                                        Yes the liquid vapor equilibrium is hard to understand.
                                        I made a graph using some equations from HD that gives a practical
                                        application of that concept as related to ethanol and water.
                                        here is an example with instructions.
                                        http://tinyurl.com/ytxwre
                                        here is the graph in F http://tinyurl.com/28xnt9
                                        and one in C http://tinyurl.com/ywfw2l

                                        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "mavnkaf" <mavnkaf@...> wrote:

                                        > Harry, your a smart ass!! And I like it,.. just those two names
                                        > opened a whole lot of reading for free, no illegal stuff here. I like
                                        > your way of thinking. Just one link I found which I'm trying to get my
                                        > head around.
                                        >
                                        > http://tinyurl.com/ynn7wh
                                        >
                                        > My head hurts!!
                                        >
                                        > Cheer
                                        >
                                        > Marc
                                        >

                                        > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Harry <gnikomson2000@> wrote:
                                        > >
                                        > > Mssrs. McCabe & Theile musta been talking through their hats. :)
                                        > >
                                        > > Slainte!
                                        > > regards Harry
                                        > > http://distillers.tastylime.net/library/
                                        > > =======================================

                                      • mavnkaf
                                        Message 19 of 28 , Mar 3, 2008
                                          Thanks Sherman,

                                          Thats not the only thing that is confusing me at the moment. I'm
                                          trying to work out the best way to use a 1 inch full bore ball valve
                                          in a side draft arm VM still?

                                          I better post that in a thread of it own:))

                                          Cheers
                                          Marc

                                          Message 20 of 28 , Mar 3, 2008

                                            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Sherman" <pintoshine@...> wrote:

                                            > Yes the liquid vapor equilibrium is hard to understand.
                                            > I made a graph using some equations from HD that gives a practical
                                            > application of that concept as related to ethanol and water.
                                            > here is an example with instructions.
                                            > http://tinyurl.com/ytxwre
                                            > here is the graph in F http://tinyurl.com/28xnt9
                                            > and one in C http://tinyurl.com/ywfw2l

                                            Good charts, Sherman.  That shows the result of one (1) simple distillation with a given starting mash percentage (proving that mash %age is relevant).

                                            Now draw in a second, and third, and fourth set of lines using the resulting yield strength of each simple distillation (in the interests of education, I temporarily borrowed your diagram to illustrate, Sherman.  Hope you don't mind).

                                            What you have is the beginnings of a McCabe-Thiele diagram.  It begins to look like a flight of stairs.  Each 'step' is a simple distillation.  Also equivalent to a 'theoretical plate'.  See where this is going?

                                            It takes more & more 'plates' (simple distillations) which are closer & closer together in terms of starting point to yield strength, to increase the ethanol percentage and eventually arrive at azeotrope.

                                            If you count the 'plates' (steps), that's how many you need in a plate or tray column (plus a few extra to allow for inefficiencies).  For packed columns, other formulae are used to arrive at an amount and height of packing aka HETP or Height Equivalent of each Theoretical Plate.

                                            As you can see, most of the gains are at the low number of distillations (2 or 3).  After that, it becomes a merry-go-round of inputting more energy for not much gain.  Thus two runs in a pot still is usually sufficient for most purposes (brown spirits).  But you need to go all the way if you want purity for Grain Neutral Spirits (GNS) or vodka.

                                            This might help people get a handle on why we build our various stills (pot and reflux/fractioning) like we do (see Jim?  We're not just a 'reflux' group).  =P~

                                            HTH

                                            Message 21 of 28 , Mar 3, 2008

                                              So, now that you've digested that little bit of info on reading charts, let's put it to something really worthwhile, particularly for pot distillers (you with me Jim?)

                                              Use such a chart to work out what you should dilute your second run down to, to recover hearts at a pre-determined strength (ain't that neat?)

                                              All you gotta do is work backwards & draw in the necessary lines.  To illustrate (again with Sherman's base graph)...

                                              It's not absolutely accurate, because you will have small amounts of heads & tails included, but it is close enough to use as a reliable guide or 'rule-of-thumb'.

                                              If you want to know a whole lot more about the why's or advantages of diluting the still charge, have a read of my paper in the Library...
                                              http://distillers.tastylime.net/library/Diluting_the_still_charge/

                                              HTH

                                            • duds2u
                                              Message 22 of 28 , Mar 3, 2008
                                                I think a light just came on for me.
                                                Thanks Harry. I had read that chart a number of times and had never
                                                considered using it in reverse to work out a dilution to give me a
                                                specified final ABV%.
                                                I just happen to have something fermenting in the shed that will get
                                                a slightly different treatment to my previous efforts.
                                                It will be interesting to taste the results.

                                                > So, now that you've digested that little bit of info on reading
                                                charts,
                                                > let's put it to something really worthwhile, particularly for pot
                                                > distillers (you with me Jim?)
                                                >
                                                > Use such a chart to work out what you should dilute your second run
                                                down
                                                > to, to recover hearts at a pre-determined strength (ain't that
                                                neat?)

                                                > All you gotta do is work backwards & draw in the necessary lines.
                                                > illustrate (again with Sherman's base graph)...
                                                >

                                                > It's not absolutely accurate, because you will have small amounts of
                                                > heads & tails included, but it is close enough to use as a reliable
                                                > guide or 'rule-of-thumb'.
                                                >
                                                > If you want to know a whole lot more about the why's or advantages
                                                of
                                                > diluting the still charge, have a read of my paper in the Library...
                                                > http://distillers.tastylime.net/library/Diluting_the_still_charge/
                                                > <http://distillers.tastylime.net/library/Diluting_the_still_charge/>
                                                >

                                                > HTH
                                                >
                                                > Slainte!
                                                > regards Harry
                                                > http://distillers.tastylime.net/library/
                                                > <http://distillers.tastylime.net/library/>

                                              • gff_stwrt
                                                Message 23 of 28 , Mar 3, 2008
                                                  Hi, Todd and Peter, hi folks,

                                                  Todd, can you tell me, is your Bokakob still the slant plate one
                                                  or another of his designs?

                                                  And have you used a two-inch column?

                                                  I am thinking of making the slant plate one some day, after I
                                                  get better at operating my pot still.

                                                  And I am thinking of using a small (maybe ten imperial gallons,
                                                  which I think is fortyseven litres) hot-water system boiler for my
                                                  pot still, instead of the liquid propane gas one I use now. Perhaps
                                                  the two-inch column I use now is not big enough for the 3,6oo watt
                                                  element.

                                                  If so I will either have to use a bigger-diameter column, or
                                                  replace the element with a lower-rated one.

                                                  What do you more experienced distillers think?

                                                  --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "toddk63" <toddk63@...> wrote:

                                                  > I run a 48" BOK as a pot still for my corn. I leave just a couple
                                                  of
                                                  > scrubbers at the top ( about 6 to 8" of scrubbers). For the
                                                  strip, I
                                                  > run it wide open and about 3200W (measured at the condenser) until
                                                  > about 211°F at the top. The strip cuts the volume and increases
                                                  > strength 4x. Theoretical is about 3x to give you an idea of any
                                                  > natural reflux going on. For the spirit run, same hardware setup.
                                                  Run
                                                  > it about half the power as the strip (1600W). I may pinch the
                                                  > off-take valve back a bit just for the foreshots, then open it wide
                                                  > and just watch my cuts. No intentional reflux...none! This run
                                                  brings
                                                  > my 30% low wines up to about 75% in the main cut.
                                                  >
                                                  > So lose all but a bit of packing and leave that off take valve open
                                                  > and you'll be fine.
                                                  >
                                                  > I admire and respect Smiley for much of his book on corn whiskey,
                                                  but
                                                  > when it comes to his method of reflux still and cuts, I never
                                                  could do
                                                  > it either. So I tried simple pot stilling and have never gone
                                                  back.

                                                  > Good Luck,
                                                  >
                                                  > Todd K.
                                                  >

                                                  > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "peter442737" <peter.coleman20@>
                                                  > wrote:
                                                  > >
                                                  > > Hi Mason
                                                  > > The 3 stripping runs were done without the packing and they were
                                                  fine
                                                  > > they produced 50% no problem. In the final run I tried to make
                                                  the
                                                  > > cuts as per Smiley's Corn book but obviously failed miserably.
                                                  The
                                                  > > Two Cup Bok still is great. No probs with that can produce 95%
                                                  > > fine. I think like you say I will have to try without packing.
                                                  > > Worked out the ratios of the cuts from the Corn Book and it did
                                                  seem
                                                  > > that the smell and the taste had guided me in the right
                                                  direction.
                                                  > > Ah well thats inexperience for you. Will try again.
                                                  > > Thanks PC

                                                • jamesonbeam1
                                                  Message 24 of 28 , Mar 3, 2008

                                                    Yes  Harry,

                                                    Right with ya boss.  As a matter of fact, I studied this chart way before I found this forum and started distilling and  posting here.  I found this by accident, (not as concise of course)  and the theory behind it on a site of  Tony Ackland's - HomeDistllers.com: http://homedistiller.org/theory.htm#strong

                                                    It took me a while, but finally figured out what  them red and blue lines ment.  However, being the lazy  SOB (self-made of course :) distiller that i am, ended up using that self-calculating table below it, instead of trying to extrapolate the lines.

                                                    I also studied the theory behind reflux still design and theoretical plates (believe it was developed by McCabe-Thiele)  at: http://homedistiller.org/refluxdesign.htm and finally figured out that a pot still is one plate, and each additional plate equals a second, third or 4th distillation on a pot still, till azerotrope is reached (impossible on a pot still of course).

                                                    (and BTW Sherman and Harry, what a great job ya'll did on improving and connotating that chart, im really impressed - wish i'd had it a year ago - would a kept me sober a bit longer and been so much simpler :):):).

                                                    Im very sorry if  offending anyone by my comments, but the point I was trying to make, is that i still cant understand why folks would do stripping runs on a reflux still, without taking the packing out and running it wide open like a pot still, then doing the spirits run with cuts the same way (as Todd K stated), and I appologize.

                                                    Vino es Veritas,

                                                    Jim.

                                                    Message 25 of 28 , Mar 3, 2008

                                                      > Im very sorry if offending anyone by my comments, but the point I was
                                                      > trying to make, is that i still cant understand why folks would do
                                                      > stripping runs on a reflux still, without taking the packing out and
                                                      > running it wide open like a pot still, then doing the spirits run with
                                                      > cuts the same way (as Todd K stated), and I appologize.
                                                      >
                                                      > Vino es Veritas,
                                                      >
                                                      > Jim.

                                                      No offence taken Jim, so you've got nothing to apologise for. There's
                                                      too much fun happening here for molecule-sized things to be rocking the
                                                      boat.

                                                      Re stripping & reflux stills: The main reason for doing it (or should
                                                      be) is to rapidly separate most of the water, AND any residual
                                                      unfermented sugars (some sugars, like dextrins, are non-fermentable
                                                      normally as you will be aware). If you were to reflux these for a
                                                      prolonged period (some reflux stills apply heat for 8-10 hrs or more)
                                                      then there's a REAL chance that you'll end up with a burnt taste
                                                      through your distillate, which no amount of post-treatment (carbon or
                                                      otherwise) will remove. Rapid stripping to separate these non-
                                                      fermentables followed by a second slow distillation of the strippate
                                                      will always result in an improved (not burnt) product suitable for GNS
                                                      or vodkas. Of course if brown spirits is the goal, then a pot still is
                                                      a more sensible option, but it can be achieved with a de-tuned reflux
                                                      still, in which case the burnt issue might actually be an advantage (as
                                                      in some rums).

                                                      Hope this explains it.

                                                    • toddk63
                                                      Message 26 of 28 , Mar 4, 2008
                                                        Its the SR (Single Reducer) design. Yes 2" column

                                                        2" column would be perfect with your 3600W element so long as you have
                                                        a variac or other temp controller. It may be a bit much without the
                                                        temp controller.

                                                        Todd K.