Book download

  • tyler_97355
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 1, 2008
      I just found a download for "The Compleat Distiller" and "Making Pure
      Corn Whiskey". However, I feel that there are some copyright issues
      here. They wouldn't be trying to sell these books if there was a free
      download of it. Personally, I have already purchased these two book,
      and in my opinion, they are the best homedistilling books that i have
      found. However, I feel that by sharing the links to this free
      download, I am in a way hurting those who have helped us become better
      distillers. So I am now asking the group: what do you think?

      -Tyler
    • just me
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 1, 2008
        i cant give a proper answer. i am way too cheap.

        just me
        "The government is like a baby's alimentary canal, with a happy appetite at one end and no responsibility at the other."
      • abbababbaccc
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 1, 2008
          I think it's best not to publish those links as the material is
          copyrighted. Besides exploiting Mikes and Ian of their hard work does
          not sound like a fair play to me.

          I personally own (means I've actually purchased and paid for) those
          first editions that have been copied around the net and after
          receiving the second editions in book form I just wish I had bought
          them once they got out. Might have saved me a few haedaches ;)

          Cheers, Riku

          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 1, 2008

            > I think it's best not to publish those links as the material is
            > copyrighted. Besides exploiting Mikes and Ian of their hard work
            does
            > not sound like a fair play to me.
            >
            > I personally own (means I've actually purchased and paid for) those
            > first editions that have been copied around the net and after
            > receiving the second editions in book form I just wish I had bought
            > them once they got out. Might have saved me a few haedaches ;)
            >
            > Cheers, Riku
            >
            > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "tyler_97355" <kd7enm@> wrote:
            > >
            > > I just found a download for "The Compleat Distiller" and "Making
            Pure
            > > Corn Whiskey". However, I feel that there are some copyright
            issues
            > > here. They wouldn't be trying to sell these books if there was a
            free
            > > download of it. Personally, I have already purchased these two
            book,
            > > and in my opinion, they are the best homedistilling books that i
            have
            > > found. However, I feel that by sharing the links to this free
            > > download, I am in a way hurting those who have helped us become
            better
            > > distillers. So I am now asking the group: what do you think?
            > >
            > > -Tyler

            > I think it's best not to publish those links as the material is
            > copyrighted. Besides exploiting Mikes and Ian of their hard work
            does
            > not sound like a fair play to me.
            >
            > I personally own (means I've actually purchased and paid for) those
            > first editions that have been copied around the net and after
            > receiving the second editions in book form I just wish I had bought
            > them once they got out. Might have saved me a few haedaches ;)
            >
            > Cheers, Riku
            >
            > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "tyler_97355" <kd7enm@> wrote:
            > >
            > > I just found a download for "The Compleat Distiller" and "Making
            Pure
            > > Corn Whiskey". However, I feel that there are some copyright
            issues
            > > here. They wouldn't be trying to sell these books if there was a
            free
            > > download of it. Personally, I have already purchased these two
            book,
            > > and in my opinion, they are the best homedistilling books that i
            have
            > > found. However, I feel that by sharing the links to this free
            > > download, I am in a way hurting those who have helped us become
            better
            > > distillers. So I am now asking the group: what do you think?
            > >
            > > -Tyler

            Copyright is a legal issue. It can also be a moral issue. The very
            nature of our hobby means in reality that most of us have little
            concern for legalities. As for morality, well I guess you are your
            own judge on that one.

            The problem with electronic literature is that once it's on the 'net,
            it's in a domain that is accessible by the public, whatever their
            bent or expertise may be. And it's there forever. This is NOT the
            same as declaring something to be "Public Domain". That's different
            altogether.

            My personal belief is that the publishers of these works were too
            hasty in releasing them as electronic copies without fully protecting
            them. There is software around to wrap them, tie each copy to a
            particular machine. If it is activated on a different machine, it
            won't open using the original licence number, or in some of the good
            ones it opens to a "sample" chapter only, with a link to where a
            genuine licence number can be purchased.

            This is the ultimate. It is called "viral marketing". Instead of a
            copy being stolen, it now acts as a marketing tool, and spreads the
            word and a sample of the author's work with a link to instantly buy a
            licence to activate the copy. Impulse purchasing at its best. :)

            If all the publishers of electronic books would adopt this approach,
            it would put the issue to bed forever, and make a lot more money for
            their efforts. Everyone wants to "try before they buy", and this is
            the best way. Similar to thumbing through a REAL BOOK in the store
            before buying.

          • tyler_97355
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 2, 2008
              Harry makes a good point. Most of us are practicing this hobby in a
              country that considers it illegal. However, for some reason it just
              doesn't feel right to me to link those files. The way I see it, if
              someone wants it bad enough, they will either buy the books, or search
              for the links on their own.

              Sorry I brought my personal battle of good and evil into a public setting.

              -Tyler
            • Peggy
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 2, 2008
                Hello Tyler,

                Right and wrong are a matter of local custom. However, when it doesn't feel
                good... do what is right and sleep at night. And if the motives are not
                devious or greedy, then I sleep just fine.

                As an author of fuel ethanol books, I am not offering them online because of
                the passing on of information by public pirating. I liked Harry's ideas
                about safeguarding works and sent the idea to our web people to consider.

                Respecting the ability of the author to receive remuneration for works
                produced, even when it brings joy and a sense of accomplishment to produce a
                work, stimulates a 'best' effort for presentation. No one wants to download
                ill prepared works. If a publication is offered for sale, then the writer
                considers the publication more than a hobby. It is offensive to circumvent
                the author's expectations--especially with a new work.

                Thanks for the opportunity to express an opinion. Now back to distilling
                for the sake of personal freedom and not necessarily cost considerations or
                tax avoidance. Taking a hobby seriously often brings the best in innovation
                and application.

                Best wishes,
                Peggy

                Harry makes a good point. Most of us are practicing this hobby in a
                country that considers it illegal. However, for some reason it just
                doesn't feel right to me to link those files. The way I see it, if
                someone wants it bad enough, they will either buy the books, or search
                for the links on their own.

                Sorry I brought my personal battle of good and evil into a public setting.

                -Tyler

                Distillers list archives :
                http://www.taet.com.au/distillers.nsf/

                FAQ, Howto distil etc. :
                http://homedistiller.org
                Yahoo! Groups Links
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 2, 2008
                  --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "tyler_97355" <kd7enm@...> wrote:

                  > Harry makes a good point. Most of us are practicing this hobby in a
                  > country that considers it illegal. However, for some reason it just
                  > doesn't feel right to me to link those files. The way I see it, if
                  > someone wants it bad enough, they will either buy the books, or search
                  > for the links on their own.
                  >
                  > Sorry I brought my personal battle of good and evil into a public setting.
                  >
                  > -Tyler

                  I hope you didn't get me wrong, Tyler.  That was just one observation I made.  The real point of my email is this...
                  The sole reason this whole theft situation has come about is because of laxness by publishers or lack of knowledge by authors.
                  Publishers are putting their authors literature to the web without proper protection.  They are doing themselves, their authors and the industry in general a dis-service.
                  Temptation is as old as mankind.  If you leave a valuable item in your front yard, it will disappear overnight.  But chain a guard dog to it and the situation is somewhat different.  So to with internet items.
                  Authors in general are reluctant to turn their works into ebooks for fear of them being stolen and losing revenue.  Peggy is a case in point.  The Mikes and Dr Stone and Ian Smiley have missed out on considerable earnings because their works are out there in any number of torrents and cracksites.
                  Have you noticed that I don't have them in my Alcohol Library?  I would dearly love to have them for display, as I believe they are definitive works pertaining to our hobby, and should be promoted.  What better place than the Library, which is browsed by almost everyone with an interest in this hobby?
                  Yet the aforementioned works IN THEIR PRESENT FORM, could never be displayed there, because they are NOT SECURED!  Further, the authors don't want them there because of the threat from loss of revenue. Therefore authors are closing off a potential dedicated free advertising and promotional outlet!

                  However, if the books were wrapped and secured properly, they would become their own marketing tool, in a place dedicated to the special interest groups whom these books are aimed at.  So it's up to the authors to pressure their publishers to MAKE the things secure BEFORE RELEASE!
                  I'll wager a year's pay that if they were offered as secured samples, all the aforementioned authors would see a huge increase in sales and revenue.  We have new members joining at the rate of 30 per day.  That's a lot of potential booksales, guys.
                  I am thinking very seriously of re-arranging my Alcohol Library with just this aim in mind.  Putting up secured only literature.  Of course that means that I would have to become a publisher also, to guarantee the authors who submit works that I would wrap and secure them for display.
                  I have been asked countless times by people why I don't offer the Library articles for download as pdf's.  Now you know why.  It would promote theft.  But SECURED pdf's could be displayed, and downloaded, and everyone would benefit: Authors, publishers, distributors and of course the consumers.
                  Below my sigline is an outline of what secure wrapping is capable of.  As this is now getting into the commercial area, if any authors want to discuss this concept further, contact me off-list at
                  gnikomson2000@@... (drop one '@').
                  =======================================
                  Disclaimer:
                  This is not promoting a product, rather it is advising authors of a beneficial concept...

                  Do not consider people copying your eBooks as potential thieves - they are potential clients!
                  The power of a sample!
                  The security wrapper will never completely block access to someone who is interested in taking a look at your eBook. The ones who did not buy your eBook yet are shown a sample of it. This means that once your eBook is under the security wrapper protection, you can send your eBook everywhere in every way you can!
                  The more people see your eBook's sample, the more sales you'll get!
                  Who decides what's in your sample? You do! You put in what you want, what you think will do the best job at selling your eBook. Show some of your eBook's chapters, it's table of content, some interesting quotes and testimonials from your clients... make your sample sell your eBook!
                  For example, lets start with one client purchasing your eBook. That client, satisfied with his purchase, sends a copy of your eBook to ten of his friends. Those ten new persons who receive your eBook won't be able to view the full version of your eBook - but they will see the sample. And what happens if the sample you provide is exciting enough to make those people buy your eBook? They will buy it straight from the eBook! This can result in a lot of new sales!
                  And now, imagine those 10 persons doing the same thing as your first client did: each one sends a copy of your eBook to 10 of their friends. The sample version of your eBook will now be read by 100 readers. It won't take much time before your eBook reaches thousands of people.
                  Since you write your sample eBook, it is in your power to make your sample convert those new readers into clients!
                  Everyone who reads the sample eBook will only have to click the "Buy Now!" button directly from inside your sample to purchase your eBook.

                • ragnagna75012 ragnagna75012
                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 3, 2008
                    .... yep the compleat (hobby) distiller is a very precious tool and perharps a required reading in order to catch what's going on in the homedistiller forum column section. Its original content is that it categorises nicely the different types of stills, and gives designs for the  VM still as well as good designs for differents types of condensors. But the rest of the info can be found in other free documents available on the net.

                    Has anyone ever wondered if anyone would have a clue about amphora society if that book hadnt been pirated ? I mean this thing has been a tremendous advertising tool for them, so it aint lost. They can still cash on that [mode Riku=on] do a search on E-ARC for instance[/mode] :)

                  • Jack o' the Green
                    Message 9 of 9 , Mar 3, 2008

                      Thinking about it a bit, I think Harry is right.  Publishers should consider “Electronic literature“  as the ultimate form of

                      marketing. If they included a “buy this book in hard copy now” button, I think they’d make twice what they would normally.

                      Alternatively, buying a electronic licence for half the cover price would work too. ( although I’d always by the paper )

                      Someone downloading a .pdf is no different than walking into a Library and checking out the book. I’ve bought books after

                      deciding the cover price is cheaper than my fine fees would be.

                      Besides, reading a book in .pdf format is terrible! Paper is and I think for a long time to come, the best.

                      Just my 2 bits