Making whisky

  • peter442737
    Message 1 of 28 , Mar 1 11:57 AM
      tried making my first batch. Ran 3 beer stripping runs of 25 lts
      getting approx 2.5/3 ltrs per run. Added all to spirit still (33ltr
      pot bokakob two cup still 43" column with structured copper packing and
      a 1500 watt cooking element. Went through the normal start up up to
      78c and started collecting slowly to remove heads. Could not drop ABV
      from approx 93 whatever I tried faster/slower take off/reduced heat.
      Can anyone advise as to whats went wrong. Product has a kinda
      firewater flavour (yuk). Any advice will be much appreciated.
      Regards
      PC
    • jamesonbeam1
      Message 2 of 28 , Mar 1 2:13 PM
        Welp Peter,

        Being a simple pot stiller meself, but have been makin lots of Sourmash
        Whiskey, I beleive you need to run that Boka still without any packing
        and wide open = just like a pot still. Forget the packing and refux
        condenser, just use the primary to collect. Depending on the abv of
        you mash and input temp, your stripping runs should only run about 50
        to 55% for the low wines (least my little pot still does.) Then do the
        spirits run to make the cuts (diluting the low wines a bit).

        However, your best bet is to talk to some of the people here that run
        Bokas and ask them the exact method to do this.

        Vino es Veritas,
        Jim.

        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "peter442737" <peter.coleman20@...>
        wrote:

        > tried making my first batch. Ran 3 beer stripping runs of 25 lts
        > getting approx 2.5/3 ltrs per run. Added all to spirit still (33ltr
        > pot bokakob two cup still 43" column with structured copper packing
        and
        > a 1500 watt cooking element. Went through the normal start up up to
        > 78c and started collecting slowly to remove heads. Could not drop
        ABV
        > from approx 93 whatever I tried faster/slower take off/reduced heat.
        > Can anyone advise as to whats went wrong. Product has a kinda
        > firewater flavour (yuk). Any advice will be much appreciated.
        > Regards
        > PC

      • Larry Collins
        Message 3 of 28 , Mar 1 4:03 PM
          At 04:13 PM 03/01/2008, you wrote:
          > Depending on the abv of you mash and input temp, your stripping runs
          > should only run about 50
          >to 55% for the low wines (least my little pot still does.)

          %ABV of the mash isn't related at all to %ABV of the output.

          A 2% mash would produce the exact same output percentage as a 20% wash...
          The 20% wash would just make ten times as much, but at the same %ABV.
        • rye_junkie
          Message 4 of 28 , Mar 1 5:42 PM
            Hello Peter,
            I am not familiar with the 2 cup design but I am with the slant plate
            design and making whiskey with it. Jim is correct. Ditch the
            packing. It strips most if not all of the flavor and you will never
            get the output ABV below 90%. The packing causes too much reflux. If
            you have a needle valve to control output and reflux, set it to about
            10-15ml/minute for your spirit run. This should result in an ABV of
            78-82%. With proper use of the needle valve it is possible to achieve
            75-80%abv in a single run without packing you just have to collect
            very slowly and pay very close attention to your cuts. I have found
            that 2 runs is the way to go.

            Mason

            > Welp Peter,
            >
            > Being a simple pot stiller meself, but have been makin lots of Sourmash
            > Whiskey, I beleive you need to run that Boka still without any packing
            > and wide open = just like a pot still. Forget the packing and refux
            > condenser, just use the primary to collect. Depending on the abv of
            > you mash and input temp, your stripping runs should only run about 50
            > to 55% for the low wines (least my little pot still does.) Then do the
            > spirits run to make the cuts (diluting the low wines a bit).
            >
            > However, your best bet is to talk to some of the people here that run
            > Bokas and ask them the exact method to do this.
            >
            > Vino es Veritas,
            > Jim.
            >
            > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "peter442737" <peter.coleman20@>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > tried making my first batch. Ran 3 beer stripping runs of 25 lts
            > > getting approx 2.5/3 ltrs per run. Added all to spirit still (33ltr
            > > pot bokakob two cup still 43" column with structured copper packing
            > and
            > > a 1500 watt cooking element. Went through the normal start up up to
            > > 78c and started collecting slowly to remove heads. Could not drop
            > ABV
            > > from approx 93 whatever I tried faster/slower take off/reduced heat.
            > > Can anyone advise as to whats went wrong. Product has a kinda
            > > firewater flavour (yuk). Any advice will be much appreciated.
            > > Regards
            > > PC

          • Robert Hubble
            Message 5 of 28 , Mar 1 6:13 PM
              Well, *this* should produce a lively thread, especially among the potstillers.

              Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

              To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
              From: larry@...
              Date: Sat, 1 Mar 2008 18:03:02 -0600
              Subject: [Distillers] Re: Making whisky

              Message 6 of 28 , Mar 1 7:48 PM
                Sigh Zymurgy Bob,

                Looks like folk such as us are in the wrong world here... Maybe
                they should change the name of this forum to "Distillers - For Reflux
                Beverage Ethanol Distillers" :(:(:(

                Vino es Veritas,
                Jim.

                --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Robert Hubble <zymurgybob@...>
                wrote:

                > Well, *this* should produce a lively thread, especially among the
                potstillers.Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

                > To: Distillers@...: larry@...: Sat, 1 Mar 2008 18:03:02 -
                0600Subject: [Distillers] Re: Making whisky

                > At 04:13 PM 03/01/2008, you wrote:> Depending on the abv of you
                mash and input temp, your stripping runs > should only run about
                50>to 55% for the low wines (least my little pot still does.)%ABV of
                the mash isn't related at all to %ABV of the output.A 2% mash would
                produce the exact same output percentage as a 20% wash... The 20%
                wash would just make ten times as much, but at the same %ABV.

                > Helping your favorite cause is as easy as instant messaging. You
                IM, we give.
                > http://im.live.com/Messenger/IM/Home/?source=text_hotmail_join

              • jamesonbeam1
                Message 7 of 28 , Mar 1 9:03 PM
                  Welp Hot Dang Larry,

                  Guess that blows everything ive ever know about pot stills, and got to
                  gits me one of them thar stills your using. Guess I also have to
                  forget everything ive learned on HomeDistillers too - especially on
                  pot
                  still purity and Tony's calculator at

                  http://homedistiller.org/pot_calc.htm ....

                  Dang, used to rely on that sucker all the time, cause it tells me 20
                  liters of 20% abv wash will give me 1166 mL of 67% abv in 20 minutes,
                  whereas 20 liters of 2% abv wash would only give me 679 mL of 15%
                  after
                  20 minutes.... Guess Tony dont know nothin about pot stillin' either
                  lol.

                  Vino es Veritas,
                  Jim.

                  PS. Larry, forgets what ya know about reflux stills and read up on
                  pot stills :):):).

                  --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Larry Collins <larry@...> wrote:

                  > At 04:13 PM 03/01/2008, you wrote:
                  > > Depending on the abv of you mash and input temp, your stripping
                  runs
                  > > should only run about 50
                  > >to 55% for the low wines (least my little pot still does.)
                  >
                  > %ABV of the mash isn't related at all to %ABV of the output.
                  >
                  > A 2% mash would produce the exact same output percentage as a 20%
                  wash...
                  > The 20% wash would just make ten times as much, but at the same %
                  ABV.

                • duds2u
                  Message 8 of 28 , Mar 1 11:09 PM
                    I've got me a pot and I've got me a couple of Bok's. Pot is for
                    whisky (no "e") and Boks are for neutral.

                    However, in saying that there should be no problem in making
                    flavoured spirits with an insulated unpacked column with any of the
                    Bokabob designed still heads. You just have to make the right cuts.
                    I haven't done it but I cannot see why you could not.

                    The reason I say insulated unpacked column is because you want to
                    reduce the reflux to retain the flavours. Remember, that with a still
                    output of over 80% ABV you lose most of the flavour. I have a 400 mm
                    column on my pot still and I insulate that because I double distil
                    and am looking for flavour in my whisky's.
                    Cheers
                    Mal T.

                    --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "rye_junkie" <rye_junkie@...>

                    Message 9 of 28 , Mar 2 1:32 AM
                      Mssrs. McCabe & Theile musta been talking through their hats.  :)

                      =======================================

                      To: Distillers@yahoogro ups.com
                      From: larry@traditionmusi c.com
                      Date: Sat, 1 Mar 2008 18:03:02 -0600

                      Message 10 of 28 , Mar 2 4:42 AM
                        Hi Mason
                        The 3 stripping runs were done without the packing and they were fine
                        they produced 50% no problem. In the final run I tried to make the
                        cuts as per Smiley's Corn book but obviously failed miserably. The
                        Two Cup Bok still is great. No probs with that can produce 95%
                        fine. I think like you say I will have to try without packing.
                        Worked out the ratios of the cuts from the Corn Book and it did seem
                        that the smell and the taste had guided me in the right direction.
                        Ah well thats inexperience for you. Will try again.
                        Thanks PC

                        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "duds2u" <taylormc@...> wrote:

                        > I've got me a pot and I've got me a couple of Bok's. Pot is for
                        > whisky (no "e") and Boks are for neutral.
                        >
                        > However, in saying that there should be no problem in making
                        > flavoured spirits with an insulated unpacked column with any of the
                        > Bokabob designed still heads. You just have to make the right cuts.
                        > I haven't done it but I cannot see why you could not.
                        >
                        > The reason I say insulated unpacked column is because you want to
                        > reduce the reflux to retain the flavours. Remember, that with a
                        still
                        > output of over 80% ABV you lose most of the flavour. I have a 400
                        mm
                        > column on my pot still and I insulate that because I double distil
                        > and am looking for flavour in my whisky's.
                        > Cheers
                        > Mal T.
                        >

                        > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "rye_junkie" <rye_junkie@>
                        > wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Hello Peter,
                        > > I am not familiar with the 2 cup design but I am with the slant
                        > plate
                        > > design and making whiskey with it. Jim is correct. Ditch the
                        > > packing. It strips most if not all of the flavor and you will
                        never
                        > > get the output ABV below 90%. The packing causes too much
                        reflux.
                        > If
                        > > you have a needle valve to control output and reflux, set it to
                        > about
                        > > 10-15ml/minute for your spirit run. This should result in an ABV
                        of
                        > > 78-82%. With proper use of the needle valve it is possible to
                        > achieve
                        > > 75-80%abv in a single run without packing you just have to collect
                        > > very slowly and pay very close attention to your cuts. I have
                        found
                        > > that 2 runs is the way to go.
                        > >
                        > > Mason

                      • Robert Hubble
                        Message 11 of 28 , Mar 2 2:56 PM
                          Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

                          ________________________________

                          To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
                          From: jamesonbeam1@...
                          Date: Sun, 2 Mar 2008 03:48:53 +0000

                          Hey, Jim,

                          I hear ya, but I'm ok with the fact that some large percentage of us are using
                          whiz-bang engineering to produce what's essentially V2 rocket fuel. It's just that
                          it seems like a whole lot of work to make something I don't want; vodka is my
                          *least* favorite booze. True, I use my "neutral" stuff to make gin and liqueurs,
                          but mostly I can get that from redistilled feints.

                          The only times the refluxers get just a *bit* of my goat is when they assume we
                          are all refluxers, and that it's the *only* sensible thing to do.

                          Also it cracks me up to hear that, even when tuned to the gills to produce the
                          azeotrope, some have to carbon filter to remove bad flavors. My hearts, and I'll
                          bet yours also, are smooth and sweet right out of the condenser, with *zero*
                          bad flavors, even if they*do* get better with time, oxygen, and oak. I don't
                          know how many times I've had newbies with me on a still run, especially a spirit
                          run, express amazement at how that white stuff at the outlet compares so well
                          with their favorite booze.

                          So, let's just suffer the slings and arrows, and tip a glass of that gorgeous
                          brown stuff to each other.

                          Here's lookin' up yer old address.

                          Zymurgy Bob,
                          a simple potstiller

                          wrote:

                          > Well, *this* should produce a lively thread, especially among the
                          potstillers.Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

                          > To: Distillers@...: larry@...: Sat, 1 Mar 2008 18:03:02 -
                          0600Subject: [Distillers] Re: Making whisky

                          > At 04:13 PM 03/01/2008, you wrote:> Depending on the abv of you
                          mash and input temp, your stripping runs> should only run about
                          50>to 55% for the low wines (least my little pot still does.)%ABV of
                          the mash isn't related at all to %ABV of the output.A 2% mash would
                          produce the exact same output percentage as a 20% wash...

                          ----snip----

                        • toddk63
                          Message 12 of 28 , Mar 2 9:22 PM
                            I run a 48" BOK as a pot still for my corn. I leave just a couple of
                            scrubbers at the top ( about 6 to 8" of scrubbers). For the strip, I
                            run it wide open and about 3200W (measured at the condenser) until
                            about 211°F at the top. The strip cuts the volume and increases
                            strength 4x. Theoretical is about 3x to give you an idea of any
                            natural reflux going on. For the spirit run, same hardware setup. Run
                            it about half the power as the strip (1600W). I may pinch the
                            off-take valve back a bit just for the foreshots, then open it wide
                            and just watch my cuts. No intentional reflux...none! This run brings
                            my 30% low wines up to about 75% in the main cut.

                            So lose all but a bit of packing and leave that off take valve open
                            and you'll be fine.

                            I admire and respect Smiley for much of his book on corn whiskey, but
                            when it comes to his method of reflux still and cuts, I never could do
                            it either. So I tried simple pot stilling and have never gone back.

                            Good Luck,

                            Todd K.

                            wrote:

                            > Hi Mason
                            > The 3 stripping runs were done without the packing and they were fine
                            > they produced 50% no problem. In the final run I tried to make the
                            > cuts as per Smiley's Corn book but obviously failed miserably. The
                            > Two Cup Bok still is great. No probs with that can produce 95%
                            > fine. I think like you say I will have to try without packing.
                            > Worked out the ratios of the cuts from the Corn Book and it did seem
                            > that the smell and the taste had guided me in the right direction.
                            > Ah well thats inexperience for you. Will try again.
                            > Thanks PC

                          • jamesonbeam1
                            Message 13 of 28 , Mar 2 10:55 PM
                              In 100% agreement there Bob,

                              I always mix alot of heads in with the middle run for the right taste.

                              Its just kinda sad though that a few folks here dont understand or
                              appreciate some of the benifits of them "ancient, old fashioned,
                              simple pot stills".

                              ToddK, pretty much stated it in the previous posting on this subject:

                              "I admire and respect Smiley for much of his book on corn whiskey,
                              but when it comes to his method of reflux still and cuts, I never
                              could do it either. So I tried simple pot stilling and have never
                              gone back.

                              Good Luck,
                              Todd K."

                              BTW, my father was in the Navy in WWII and used to tell stories of
                              how the sailors would bribe them submariners for their
                              famous "torpedo juice" (believe it was the Type 42s that ran off of
                              ethanol), mix it with orange drink powder and have "TP parties" lol.

                              A Votra Sante Aussi.

                              wrote:
                              > To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
                              > From: jamesonbeam1@...
                              > Date: Sun, 2 Mar 2008 03:48:53 +0000
                              > Subject: [Distillers] Re: Making whisky
                              >
                              > Hey, Jim,
                              >
                              > I hear ya, but I'm ok with the fact that some large percentage of
                              us are using
                              > whiz-bang engineering to produce what's essentially V2 rocket fuel.
                              It's just that
                              > it seems like a whole lot of work to make something I don't want;
                              vodka is my
                              > *least* favorite booze. True, I use my "neutral" stuff to make gin
                              and liqueurs,
                              > but mostly I can get that from redistilled feints.
                              >
                              > The only times the refluxers get just a *bit* of my goat is when
                              they assume we
                              > are all refluxers, and that it's the *only* sensible thing to do.
                              >
                              > Also it cracks me up to hear that, even when tuned to the gills to
                              produce the
                              > azeotrope, some have to carbon filter to remove bad flavors. My
                              hearts, and I'll
                              > bet yours also, are smooth and sweet right out of the condenser,
                              with *zero*
                              > bad flavors, even if they*do* get better with time, oxygen, and
                              oak. I don't
                              > know how many times I've had newbies with me on a still run,
                              especially a spirit
                              > run, express amazement at how that white stuff at the outlet
                              compares so well
                              > with their favorite booze.
                              >
                              > So, let's just suffer the slings and arrows, and tip a glass of
                              that gorgeous
                              > brown stuff to each other.
                              >
                              > Here's lookin' up yer old address.
                              >
                              > Zymurgy Bob,
                              > a simple potstiller
                              >

                              > Sigh Zymurgy Bob,
                              >
                              > Looks like folk such as us are in the wrong world here... Maybe
                              > they should change the name of this forum to "Distillers - For
                              Reflux
                              > Beverage Ethanol Distillers" :(:(:(
                              >
                              > Vino es Veritas,
                              > Jim.

                            • abbababbaccc
                              Message 14 of 28 , Mar 2 11:33 PM
                                I've noticed this too and it makes me wonder, is heads cut really
                                necessary at all? Now those traditonal distilleries in Scotland
                                recycle their heads over and over again. Eventually they should get
                                so concentrated with lower boiling point components that in practise
                                all the stuff from the mash gets to the middle cut. Of course the
                                final product won't have that taste as lot's of heads from the
                                whiskey evaporates as angels share. As we all know low temperature
                                evaporation hits heads components the hardest. Another thing is that
                                the oak itself converts many unwanted congeners to more palatable
                                compunds.

                                This made me remember, I have somewhere two quarts of whiskey on oak
                                that I madde without the heads cut. I may have to sample that one of
                                these days, maybe even apply the low temperature evaporation
                                principle to that and see how it turns out.

                                Cheers, Riku

                                > I always mix alot of heads in with the middle run for the right
                                taste.

                              • duds2u
                                Message 15 of 28 , Mar 3 2:03 AM
                                  If my merory serves me correctly the orange juice powder was
                                  called "limers". Tasted like "shite" but would overpower "any known to
                                  man" flavour that sailors would mix it with.
                                  Cheers
                                  Mal T.

                                  BTW, my father was in the Navy in WWII and used to tell stories of
                                  > how the sailors would bribe them submariners for their
                                  > famous "torpedo juice" (believe it was the Type 42s that ran off of
                                  > ethanol), mix it with orange drink powder and have "TP parties" lol.
                                  >
                                  > A Votra Sante Aussi.
                                  >
                                  > Vino es Veritas,
                                  > Jim.

                                • duds2u
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Mar 3 2:08 AM
                                    Take a dram of Glenmorangie and I defy anyone that has not been
                                    making their own Whisky for a period of time to say that there is not
                                    an acetone (read - heads flavour) as a subtle flavour adjunct.

                                    > I've noticed this too and it makes me wonder, is heads cut really
                                    > necessary at all? Now those traditonal distilleries in Scotland
                                    > recycle their heads over and over again. Eventually they should get
                                    > so concentrated with lower boiling point components that in
                                    practise
                                    > all the stuff from the mash gets to the middle cut. Of course the
                                    > final product won't have that taste as lot's of heads from the
                                    > whiskey evaporates as angels share. As we all know low temperature
                                    > evaporation hits heads components the hardest. Another thing is
                                    that
                                    > the oak itself converts many unwanted congeners to more palatable
                                    > compunds.
                                    >
                                    > This made me remember, I have somewhere two quarts of whiskey on
                                    oak
                                    > that I madde without the heads cut. I may have to sample that one
                                    of
                                    > these days, maybe even apply the low temperature evaporation
                                    > principle to that and see how it turns out.
                                    >
                                    > Cheers, Riku
                                    >
                                    > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "jamesonbeam1" <jamesonbeam1@>
                                    > wrote:
                                    > >

                                    > > I always mix alot of heads in with the middle run for the right
                                    > taste.

                                  • duds2u
                                    Message 17 of 28 , Mar 3 2:12 AM
                                      Sorry Members but somehow I managed to split the reply post.
                                      Bugger
                                      Cheers
                                      Mal T.
                                    • mavnkaf
                                      Message 18 of 28 , Mar 3 4:45 AM
                                        Harry, your a smart ass!! And I like it,.. just those two names
                                        opened a whole lot of reading for free, no illegal stuff here. I like
                                        your way of thinking. Just one link I found which I'm trying to get my
                                        head around.

                                        http://tinyurl.com/ynn7wh

                                        My head hurts!!

                                        Cheer

                                        Marc

                                        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Harry <gnikomson2000@...> wrote:

                                        > Mssrs. McCabe & Theile musta been talking through their hats. :)
                                        >
                                        > Slainte!
                                        > regards Harry
                                        > http://distillers.tastylime.net/library/
                                        > =======================================
                                      • Sherman
                                        Message 19 of 28 , Mar 3 5:13 AM
                                          Yes the liquid vapor equilibrium is hard to understand.
                                          I made a graph using some equations from HD that gives a practical
                                          application of that concept as related to ethanol and water.
                                          here is an example with instructions.
                                          http://tinyurl.com/ytxwre
                                          here is the graph in F http://tinyurl.com/28xnt9
                                          and one in C http://tinyurl.com/ywfw2l

                                          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "mavnkaf" <mavnkaf@...> wrote:

                                          > Harry, your a smart ass!! And I like it,.. just those two names
                                          > opened a whole lot of reading for free, no illegal stuff here. I like
                                          > your way of thinking. Just one link I found which I'm trying to get my
                                          > head around.
                                          >
                                          > http://tinyurl.com/ynn7wh
                                          >
                                          > My head hurts!!
                                          >
                                          > Cheer
                                          >
                                          > Marc
                                          >

                                          > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Harry <gnikomson2000@> wrote:
                                          > >
                                          > > Mssrs. McCabe & Theile musta been talking through their hats. :)
                                          > >
                                          > > Slainte!
                                          > > regards Harry
                                          > > http://distillers.tastylime.net/library/
                                          > > =======================================

                                        • mavnkaf
                                          Message 20 of 28 , Mar 3 6:12 AM
                                            Thanks Sherman,

                                            Thats not the only thing that is confusing me at the moment. I'm
                                            trying to work out the best way to use a 1 inch full bore ball valve
                                            in a side draft arm VM still?

                                            I better post that in a thread of it own:))

                                            Cheers
                                            Marc

                                            Message 21 of 28 , Mar 3 9:13 AM

                                              --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Sherman" <pintoshine@...> wrote:

                                              > Yes the liquid vapor equilibrium is hard to understand.
                                              > I made a graph using some equations from HD that gives a practical
                                              > application of that concept as related to ethanol and water.
                                              > here is an example with instructions.
                                              > http://tinyurl.com/ytxwre
                                              > here is the graph in F http://tinyurl.com/28xnt9
                                              > and one in C http://tinyurl.com/ywfw2l

                                              Good charts, Sherman.  That shows the result of one (1) simple distillation with a given starting mash percentage (proving that mash %age is relevant).

                                              Now draw in a second, and third, and fourth set of lines using the resulting yield strength of each simple distillation (in the interests of education, I temporarily borrowed your diagram to illustrate, Sherman.  Hope you don't mind).

                                              What you have is the beginnings of a McCabe-Thiele diagram.  It begins to look like a flight of stairs.  Each 'step' is a simple distillation.  Also equivalent to a 'theoretical plate'.  See where this is going?

                                              It takes more & more 'plates' (simple distillations) which are closer & closer together in terms of starting point to yield strength, to increase the ethanol percentage and eventually arrive at azeotrope.

                                              If you count the 'plates' (steps), that's how many you need in a plate or tray column (plus a few extra to allow for inefficiencies).  For packed columns, other formulae are used to arrive at an amount and height of packing aka HETP or Height Equivalent of each Theoretical Plate.

                                              As you can see, most of the gains are at the low number of distillations (2 or 3).  After that, it becomes a merry-go-round of inputting more energy for not much gain.  Thus two runs in a pot still is usually sufficient for most purposes (brown spirits).  But you need to go all the way if you want purity for Grain Neutral Spirits (GNS) or vodka.

                                              This might help people get a handle on why we build our various stills (pot and reflux/fractioning) like we do (see Jim?  We're not just a 'reflux' group).  =P~

                                              HTH

                                              Message 22 of 28 , Mar 3 12:10 PM

                                                So, now that you've digested that little bit of info on reading charts, let's put it to something really worthwhile, particularly for pot distillers (you with me Jim?)

                                                Use such a chart to work out what you should dilute your second run down to, to recover hearts at a pre-determined strength (ain't that neat?)

                                                All you gotta do is work backwards & draw in the necessary lines.  To illustrate (again with Sherman's base graph)...

                                                It's not absolutely accurate, because you will have small amounts of heads & tails included, but it is close enough to use as a reliable guide or 'rule-of-thumb'.

                                                If you want to know a whole lot more about the why's or advantages of diluting the still charge, have a read of my paper in the Library...
                                                http://distillers.tastylime.net/library/Diluting_the_still_charge/

                                                HTH

                                              • duds2u
                                                Message 23 of 28 , Mar 3 2:42 PM
                                                  I think a light just came on for me.
                                                  Thanks Harry. I had read that chart a number of times and had never
                                                  considered using it in reverse to work out a dilution to give me a
                                                  specified final ABV%.
                                                  I just happen to have something fermenting in the shed that will get
                                                  a slightly different treatment to my previous efforts.
                                                  It will be interesting to taste the results.

                                                  > So, now that you've digested that little bit of info on reading
                                                  charts,
                                                  > let's put it to something really worthwhile, particularly for pot
                                                  > distillers (you with me Jim?)
                                                  >
                                                  > Use such a chart to work out what you should dilute your second run
                                                  down
                                                  > to, to recover hearts at a pre-determined strength (ain't that
                                                  neat?)

                                                  > All you gotta do is work backwards & draw in the necessary lines.
                                                  > illustrate (again with Sherman's base graph)...
                                                  >

                                                  > It's not absolutely accurate, because you will have small amounts of
                                                  > heads & tails included, but it is close enough to use as a reliable
                                                  > guide or 'rule-of-thumb'.
                                                  >
                                                  > If you want to know a whole lot more about the why's or advantages
                                                  of
                                                  > diluting the still charge, have a read of my paper in the Library...
                                                  > http://distillers.tastylime.net/library/Diluting_the_still_charge/
                                                  > <http://distillers.tastylime.net/library/Diluting_the_still_charge/>
                                                  >

                                                  > HTH
                                                  >
                                                  > Slainte!
                                                  > regards Harry
                                                  > http://distillers.tastylime.net/library/
                                                  > <http://distillers.tastylime.net/library/>

                                                • gff_stwrt
                                                  Message 24 of 28 , Mar 3 5:45 PM
                                                    Hi, Todd and Peter, hi folks,

                                                    Todd, can you tell me, is your Bokakob still the slant plate one
                                                    or another of his designs?

                                                    And have you used a two-inch column?

                                                    I am thinking of making the slant plate one some day, after I
                                                    get better at operating my pot still.

                                                    And I am thinking of using a small (maybe ten imperial gallons,
                                                    which I think is fortyseven litres) hot-water system boiler for my
                                                    pot still, instead of the liquid propane gas one I use now. Perhaps
                                                    the two-inch column I use now is not big enough for the 3,6oo watt
                                                    element.

                                                    If so I will either have to use a bigger-diameter column, or
                                                    replace the element with a lower-rated one.

                                                    What do you more experienced distillers think?

                                                    --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "toddk63" <toddk63@...> wrote:

                                                    > I run a 48" BOK as a pot still for my corn. I leave just a couple
                                                    of
                                                    > scrubbers at the top ( about 6 to 8" of scrubbers). For the
                                                    strip, I
                                                    > run it wide open and about 3200W (measured at the condenser) until
                                                    > about 211°F at the top. The strip cuts the volume and increases
                                                    > strength 4x. Theoretical is about 3x to give you an idea of any
                                                    > natural reflux going on. For the spirit run, same hardware setup.
                                                    Run
                                                    > it about half the power as the strip (1600W). I may pinch the
                                                    > off-take valve back a bit just for the foreshots, then open it wide
                                                    > and just watch my cuts. No intentional reflux...none! This run
                                                    brings
                                                    > my 30% low wines up to about 75% in the main cut.
                                                    >
                                                    > So lose all but a bit of packing and leave that off take valve open
                                                    > and you'll be fine.
                                                    >
                                                    > I admire and respect Smiley for much of his book on corn whiskey,
                                                    but
                                                    > when it comes to his method of reflux still and cuts, I never
                                                    could do
                                                    > it either. So I tried simple pot stilling and have never gone
                                                    back.

                                                    > Good Luck,
                                                    >
                                                    > Todd K.
                                                    >

                                                    > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "peter442737" <peter.coleman20@>
                                                    > wrote:
                                                    > >
                                                    > > Hi Mason
                                                    > > The 3 stripping runs were done without the packing and they were
                                                    fine
                                                    > > they produced 50% no problem. In the final run I tried to make
                                                    the
                                                    > > cuts as per Smiley's Corn book but obviously failed miserably.
                                                    The
                                                    > > Two Cup Bok still is great. No probs with that can produce 95%
                                                    > > fine. I think like you say I will have to try without packing.
                                                    > > Worked out the ratios of the cuts from the Corn Book and it did
                                                    seem
                                                    > > that the smell and the taste had guided me in the right
                                                    direction.
                                                    > > Ah well thats inexperience for you. Will try again.
                                                    > > Thanks PC

                                                  • jamesonbeam1
                                                    Message 25 of 28 , Mar 3 6:15 PM

                                                      Yes  Harry,

                                                      Right with ya boss.  As a matter of fact, I studied this chart way before I found this forum and started distilling and  posting here.  I found this by accident, (not as concise of course)  and the theory behind it on a site of  Tony Ackland's - HomeDistllers.com: http://homedistiller.org/theory.htm#strong

                                                      It took me a while, but finally figured out what  them red and blue lines ment.  However, being the lazy  SOB (self-made of course :) distiller that i am, ended up using that self-calculating table below it, instead of trying to extrapolate the lines.

                                                      I also studied the theory behind reflux still design and theoretical plates (believe it was developed by McCabe-Thiele)  at: http://homedistiller.org/refluxdesign.htm and finally figured out that a pot still is one plate, and each additional plate equals a second, third or 4th distillation on a pot still, till azerotrope is reached (impossible on a pot still of course).

                                                      (and BTW Sherman and Harry, what a great job ya'll did on improving and connotating that chart, im really impressed - wish i'd had it a year ago - would a kept me sober a bit longer and been so much simpler :):):).

                                                      Im very sorry if  offending anyone by my comments, but the point I was trying to make, is that i still cant understand why folks would do stripping runs on a reflux still, without taking the packing out and running it wide open like a pot still, then doing the spirits run with cuts the same way (as Todd K stated), and I appologize.

                                                      Vino es Veritas,

                                                      Jim.

                                                      Message 26 of 28 , Mar 3 9:25 PM

                                                        > Im very sorry if offending anyone by my comments, but the point I was
                                                        > trying to make, is that i still cant understand why folks would do
                                                        > stripping runs on a reflux still, without taking the packing out and
                                                        > running it wide open like a pot still, then doing the spirits run with
                                                        > cuts the same way (as Todd K stated), and I appologize.
                                                        >
                                                        > Vino es Veritas,
                                                        >
                                                        > Jim.

                                                        No offence taken Jim, so you've got nothing to apologise for. There's
                                                        too much fun happening here for molecule-sized things to be rocking the
                                                        boat.

                                                        Re stripping & reflux stills: The main reason for doing it (or should
                                                        be) is to rapidly separate most of the water, AND any residual
                                                        unfermented sugars (some sugars, like dextrins, are non-fermentable
                                                        normally as you will be aware). If you were to reflux these for a
                                                        prolonged period (some reflux stills apply heat for 8-10 hrs or more)
                                                        then there's a REAL chance that you'll end up with a burnt taste
                                                        through your distillate, which no amount of post-treatment (carbon or
                                                        otherwise) will remove. Rapid stripping to separate these non-
                                                        fermentables followed by a second slow distillation of the strippate
                                                        will always result in an improved (not burnt) product suitable for GNS
                                                        or vodkas. Of course if brown spirits is the goal, then a pot still is
                                                        a more sensible option, but it can be achieved with a de-tuned reflux
                                                        still, in which case the burnt issue might actually be an advantage (as
                                                        in some rums).

                                                        Hope this explains it.

                                                      • toddk63
                                                        Message 27 of 28 , Mar 4 1:40 PM
                                                          Its the SR (Single Reducer) design. Yes 2" column

                                                          2" column would be perfect with your 3600W element so long as you have
                                                          a variac or other temp controller. It may be a bit much without the
                                                          temp controller.

                                                          Todd K.