Re: Forget everything you thought you knew about aging

    Message 1 of 22 , Feb 25, 2008

      > --- jamesonbeam1 <jamesonbeam1@...> wrote:
      >

      > > Dang, Ya'll are wrong,
      >
      > Ha!
      > That reminds me of the Stephen Wright bit:
      > "I just got a microwave fireplace...I can sit in front of it all
      night in just
      > eight minutes."
      >
      > So let's see if we have the ultimate experiment going on:
      > Bubbling heated oxygen through oaked spirit with a spinning
      electromagnet all
      > performed under a pyramid enlosure.
      >
      > Have I forgotten a detail? Any Masonic rituals I'm omitting?

      Last I heard Ultrasound was all the go.

    • just me
      Message 2 of 22 , Feb 25, 2008
        it does a great job on sharpening razors also.

        just me
        Disclaimer: Any errors in spelling,  or fact are
        transmission errors.
      • Bill
        Message 3 of 22 , Feb 25, 2008

          Some of us do READ & follow up on sugested ideas.   The ULTRASOUND  project:

          One small jewelry type cleaner----Stainless pan removed & fastened to a stainless steam table type pot cutout on bottom.
          Carefull to insulate by applying a bead of silicone SAME WAY IT WAS REMOVED, Fastened with soldered bolts to pot.

          The unit on a 5 minute timer as to not overheat----OK----Holes carefully drilled in plastic cassing to divert AIR over
          what seemed to be ELECTRO-MAGNETS.

          Then a SMALL 120 Volt Computer fan Fastened to the top WHERE pan was removed for a constant AIR MOVEMENT.

          I knew the unit was designed for just that SIZE PAN ----That was the reason to insulate the vibrations just to the PAN
          designed for the unit.

          Knowing that the LIQUOR will circulate on its own DOWN & UP & away from the source of Ultrasound in that LIL PAN PROVIDED.

          NOW  my favorite nephew that likes my Irish Apple Whiskey ------MMMMM   His remarks were YES YES a difference.

          It does seem to age it & smoothe it out. Top sealed as unit dose its work because of the fine mist created.

          NEW LARGER ULTRASOUND unit from room humidifyer----Just waiting to B Converted.  And ITs a sealed Unit.
        • mavnkaf
          Message 4 of 22 , Feb 26, 2008
            Very funny :), But as Riku points out there is some new info out
            there about the subject. Every one mentions shaking the spirits on
            oak and the rest of the technics. I thought of letting the oak chips
            fall though the spirit?

            http://tinyurl.com/2jrlmc

            Cheers
            Marc

            > Apparently we've been doing it all wrong (and so have all the
            distilleries).
            > We're wasting our time with oak and barrels and time and
            oxygen...none of that
            > matters.
            > Magnets...that's the real answer:
            > http://www.shooterbuddy.com/index.html
            >
            > Trid
            > -with tongue firmly in cheek

          • mavnkaf
            Message 5 of 22 , Feb 26, 2008
              The tumbled spirit turned out very sippable, neat, which I'm not used
              to:)

              Still working on cuts per recipe. Doing the tumble with the 2 L
              flagon bottles means your can piss-fart around with what ever you
              like.

              Cheers
              Marc

              --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "mavnkaf" <mavnkaf@...> wrote:

              > Very funny :), But as Riku points out there is some new info out
              > there about the subject. Every one mentions shaking the spirits on
              > oak and the rest of the technics. I thought of letting the oak
              chips
              > fall though the spirit?
              >
              > http://tinyurl.com/2jrlmc
              >

              > Cheers
              > Marc
              >
              > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Trid <triddlywinks@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Apparently we've been doing it all wrong (and so have all the
              > distilleries).
              > > We're wasting our time with oak and barrels and time and
              > oxygen...none of that
              > > matters.
              > > Magnets...that's the real answer:
              > > http://www.shooterbuddy.com/index.html
              > >
              > > Trid
              > > -with tongue firmly in cheek

            • jamesonbeam1
              Message 6 of 22 , Feb 26, 2008
                Hey Marc,

                Very interesting contraption. Im sure in theory and practice, it
                does speed up aging by moving the chips around.

                But getting back to reality (i know, its so boring), applying any
                type of electronic stimuli to the aging process, be it rotation,
                magnetic devices, force fields, ultrasound, etc. would be prohibitive
                in the real world.

                Think about all the electricity expenses those poor distillers, that
                do this for a living, would have to spend, to provide us with
                millions of gallons of great booze each year.

                Why do you think whiskeys etc, are aged in big 53 gallon oak barrels
                in huge outdoors, aging houses, exposed to the seasonal and the
                daily/nightly temperature cycles.

                What would you think the cost would be of rotating just 1 - 53 gallon
                barrel (that weighs 540 lbs. full) would be per year, much less
                thousands of them per year :):). Its tough enough for them to rotate
                those barrels from the top to bottom racks every year or so.

                And to think Mother Nature was kind enough to give us all this for
                free... Otherwise the cost of aged whiskeys, etc. would be in the
                hundreds of dollars per bottle (for the cheap stuff lol)...

                But if we could incorporate the Chen-Xu Method which can get 2.85
                gallons of ethanol out of a bushel of corn in 4 hours plus make
                edible plastic bottles to boot (see new distillers Message #26515
                topic), then put a magnetic force field around the aging casks to
                reduce aging time to minutes (faster under pyramid of course) - might
                have the potential to bankrupt every American corn whiskey maker
                around and take the market over... Any Takers ????

                Vino es Veritas,
                Jim

                --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "mavnkaf" <mavnkaf@...> wrote:

                > Very funny :), But as Riku points out there is some new info out
                > there about the subject. Every one mentions shaking the spirits on
                > oak and the rest of the technics. I thought of letting the oak
                chips
                > fall though the spirit?
                >
                > http://tinyurl.com/2jrlmc
                >

                > Cheers
                > Marc
                >
                > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Trid <triddlywinks@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Apparently we've been doing it all wrong (and so have all the
                > distilleries).
                > > We're wasting our time with oak and barrels and time and
                > oxygen...none of that
                > > matters.
                > > Magnets...that's the real answer:
                > > http://www.shooterbuddy.com/index.html
                > >
                > > Trid
                > > -with tongue firmly in cheek

              • mavnkaf
                Message 7 of 22 , Feb 26, 2008
                  Hi Jim,

                  My contraption sort of works! the bottles coloures up very quickly,

                  (corn flake and other grain, non boil wash)

                  , but I didn't think the harsh nuture of the new spirit was effected
                  untill I tested it just recently, my Basic cuts of 80%- 60%, two and
                  abit months later and it's ok. I think time was a big help here, I
                  did open the bottles and aired them when I could.

                  Did it work? who knows, I don't, I'm the only one testing it:(

                  Cheers
                  Marc

                  > Hey Marc,
                  >
                  > Very interesting contraption. Im sure in theory and practice, it
                  > does speed up aging by moving the chips around.
                  >
                  > But getting back to reality (i know, its so boring), applying any
                  > type of electronic stimuli to the aging process, be it rotation,
                  > magnetic devices, force fields, ultrasound, etc. would be
                  prohibitive
                  > in the real world.
                  >
                  > Think about all the electricity expenses those poor distillers,
                  that
                  > do this for a living, would have to spend, to provide us with
                  > millions of gallons of great booze each year.
                  >
                  > Why do you think whiskeys etc, are aged in big 53 gallon oak
                  barrels
                  > in huge outdoors, aging houses, exposed to the seasonal and the
                  > daily/nightly temperature cycles.
                  >
                  > What would you think the cost would be of rotating just 1 - 53
                  gallon
                  > barrel (that weighs 540 lbs. full) would be per year, much less
                  > thousands of them per year :):). Its tough enough for them to
                  rotate
                  > those barrels from the top to bottom racks every year or so.
                  >
                  > And to think Mother Nature was kind enough to give us all this for
                  > free... Otherwise the cost of aged whiskeys, etc. would be in the
                  > hundreds of dollars per bottle (for the cheap stuff lol)...
                  >
                  > But if we could incorporate the Chen-Xu Method which can get 2.85
                  > gallons of ethanol out of a bushel of corn in 4 hours plus make
                  > edible plastic bottles to boot (see new distillers Message #26515
                  > topic), then put a magnetic force field around the aging casks to
                  > reduce aging time to minutes (faster under pyramid of course) -
                  might
                  > have the potential to bankrupt every American corn whiskey maker
                  > around and take the market over... Any Takers ????
                  >
                  > Vino es Veritas,
                  > Jim

                • jamesonbeam1
                  Message 8 of 22 , Feb 26, 2008
                    Actually Marc,

                    I had an almost similar idea, but was going to use a turntable
                    (remember those things that you put large round plastic disks on with
                    a tone arm and needle to hear music?) with some bars to prevent the
                    bottles from rolling off.

                    Till found out we just threw the last on away months ago (sigh). So
                    now I just keep my 4 liter aging jar by the compter desk, and when
                    bord or awaiting a download, just shake it now and then...
                    Good exercise too lol.

                    Vino es Veritas,
                    Jim.

                  • abbababbaccc
                    Message 9 of 22 , Feb 26, 2008
                      That sounds interesting, especially the mist part.

                      Actually a barrel in itself is a huge and slow low temperature
                      evaporation still without the condenser. As we know the lower
                      boiling point components will evaporate in greater amounts. So, we
                      could store the whiskey in a low temperature evaporation still with
                      little to no heating.

                      Then we have the the oxygenation part which can be handled my
                      aerating the whiskey. This can also be combined to the low
                      temperature evaporation principle.

                      The final thing is the interaction between wood and spirits. Based
                      on our discussion and research so far it seems that this can be sped
                      up by having more wood and by having the spirits move in relation to
                      wood (ultrasound, altering magnetic fields, physical
                      stirring/rotation). Again, this can be combined to the aeration.

                      So, should we piece together a system that uses all these to achieve
                      a fast maturation? Any volunteers to build and test one if I sketch
                      it?

                      Cheers, Riku

                      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Bill" <coyote@...> wrote:

                      > Some of us do READ & follow up on sugested ideas. The
                      ULTRASOUND project:

                      > One small jewelry type cleaner----Stainless pan removed &
                      fastened to a stainless steam table type pot cutout on bottom.
                      > Carefull to insulate by applying a bead of silicone SAME WAY IT
                      WAS REMOVED, Fastened with soldered bolts to pot.

                      > The unit on a 5 minute timer as to not overheat----OK----Holes
                      carefully drilled in plastic cassing to divert AIR over
                      > what seemed to be ELECTRO-MAGNETS.
                      >
                      > Then a SMALL 120 Volt Computer fan Fastened to the top WHERE pan
                      was removed for a constant AIR MOVEMENT.

                      > I knew the unit was designed for just that SIZE PAN ----That was
                      the reason to insulate the vibrations just to the PAN
                      > designed for the unit.
                      >
                      > Knowing that the LIQUOR will circulate on its own DOWN & UP &
                      away from the source of Ultrasound in that LIL PAN PROVIDED.

                      > NOW my favorite nephew that likes my Irish Apple Whiskey ------
                      MMMMM His remarks were YES YES a difference.

                      > It does seem to age it & smoothe it out. Top sealed as unit dose
                      its work because of the fine mist created.

                      > NEW LARGER ULTRASOUND unit from room humidifyer----Just waiting
                      to B Converted. And ITs a sealed Unit.

                    • ragnagna75012 ragnagna75012
                      Message 10 of 22 , Feb 26, 2008
                        can i add ultra violet exposition, H2O2 and activated carbon ?

                        All these methods can be found in google patents..... Some of them are at least 50 years old patents

                      • Sherman
                        Message 11 of 22 , Feb 26, 2008
                          Honestly, I believe the only physical process involved in aging, which
                          includes mellowing from the charcoal and flavor enhancement from the
                          wood, is diffusion and its relative osmosis which is just selective
                          diffusion.
                          Of course, that is one of the most complicated material and chemical
                          properties to describe because each compound has a finite rate of
                          diffusion given by the temperature, compound molecular size, barrier
                          material, and solvent used. There are so many variables involved in
                          this diffusion characteristic that I could understand the voodoo and
                          misconceptions.
                          But really, ultrasound?, microwave? magnetic forces working on a
                          mostly diamagnetic material?

                          Here is an analog for a simple experiment to illustrate the point I am
                          trying to make. Get some really cheap food coloring out of the
                          cabinet. Wet a coffee filter and lay it flat out on a plate and remove
                          standing or excess water from the filter with a paper towel.
                          Put a single drop of food coloring in the center of the filter and
                          watch it diffuse outward through the paper filter. Aging in a barrel
                          is as simple as that but differs in that there are so many
                          unquantifiable compounds in the charred wood and the alcohol that the
                          rate of diffusion for all combined is hard to put into discreet terms.
                          I even believe shaking is unnecessary because the characteristics of
                          diffusion will eventually make all parts equal anyway.

> [...]
                          > > rotate
                          > > > those barrels from the top to bottom racks every year or so.
                          > > >
                          > > > And to think Mother Nature was kind enough to give us all this
                          > for
                          > > > free... Otherwise the cost of aged whiskeys, etc. would be in
                          > the
                          > > > hundreds of dollars per bottle (for the cheap stuff lol)...
                          > > >
                          > > > But if we could incorporate the Chen-Xu Method which can get 2.85
                          > > > gallons of ethanol out of a bushel of corn in 4 hours plus make
                          > > > edible plastic bottles to boot (see new distillers Message #26515
                          > > > topic), then put a magnetic force field around the aging casks to
                          > > > reduce aging time to minutes (faster under pyramid of course) -
                          > > might
                          > > > have the potential to bankrupt every American corn whiskey maker
                          > > > around and take the market over... Any Takers ????

                        • rhodeseng
                          Message 12 of 22 , Feb 26, 2008
                            I put a couple quarts with charred oak in the console of my truck a
                            couple weeks ago to give to somebody.

                            but the riding and jostling around made a significant difference it
                            the color.