Re: VM ???

  • Tom Smith
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 24, 2008
      Harry,

      thanks for the advice. I really don't need the gate valve leading to
      the product condensor. I never close it, I just like to use the
      reflux condensor to concentrate the tails on a whiskey stripping run.
      Or use it to make a single run of whiskey without using a thumper.

      Thanks Again

      Youngblood

      - In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Harry" <gnikomson2000@...> wrote:

      > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Smith" <smiththomas9263@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > Harry,
      > >
      > > I posted a really lousy picture of my setup in the photos section.
      > > under youngbloods stuff. in a previous post you stated that you
      could
      > > not understand why I needed a gate valve in between the reflux
      > > condensor and the still. if I close the valve I have a potstill
      if I
      > > open the valve I get quite a bit of reflux.and can make whiskey
      in 1
      > > run. or am I all wrong about this.
      > >
      > > youngblood
      >

      > The problem is not with the diverting of the vapours to be either a
      > potstill or a reflux still. The problem is with how you intend to
      do
      > it. With your plan, the potential is there for BOTH valves to be
      > inadvertantly closed off, making a sealed vessel, or potential
      BOMB.
      > Murphy's Law. If it Can happen, it Will, at some stage.
      >
      > What's wrong with putting a cork in the top breather hole to do the
      same
      > job and do away with the second expensive gatevalve? In this
      case, if
      > there is any over-pressure situation, the cork will blow out,
      acting as
      > a relief valve. With your second gatevalve, this is not possible.
      An