Quickie Pot Still Question

  • Derek Hamlet
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 14, 2008
      90% of my distilling experience has involved making neutral alcohol
      with my beer keg based reflux still with a cross flow condenser, 2"
      copper column, stuffed with stainless scrubbers and fired by a 3000
      watt element (heat up) and variac controlled 1500 watt element for running.
      It works like a champ.
      I did do one run some years ago of some old wine to make brandy.
      I've kind of forgotten exactly how I did it, but with maturing on oak
      it went down well and I'm not blind.
      So, I'm looking for a little feedback or confirmation on another attempt.
      I did a corn whisky mash. I also had another donation of 19 litres
      of red wine that a friend did not like.
      I unpacked my column completely and ran them through (separately of
      course) full till boogie with 1500 watts of power.
      I started taking off when the temp was 78C, and shut it down when the
      temp. reached 95C. I think the &ABV at the end was dowon to below 20%.

      So now I'm ready to do a careful run to get that which goes on oak.
      My plan is to load up the still (unpacked column) while of course
      ensuring that the elements are covered.
      Bring temps up to the low 70's C and start taking off. Once I have
      the requisite amount of heads and the temp. gets to 78C start taking
      off the middle run.
      Once it wants to go above 82C I start taking tails in smaller and
      smaller quantities up until 94C or so or whenever I get bored
      Starting adding back various bits of tails according to taste, dilute
      to about 55%abv and throw it on some oak and put on my 2rpm turntable
      for a few months.
      Am I missing anything?
      BTW, I had a friend assist me making the infamous but anonymous X
      flow condenser. The effort in making it is amazingly
      worthwhile. That thing is magical.

      Derek
      "From the cradle to the crypt it's a mighty short trip
      So you'd better get it while you can!"
      -from the Ballad of Carl Martin by Steve Goodman