heating/cooling

  • bob@4agoodauction.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 7, 2008
      When returning the hot water from the condenser I am thinking: take another small condenser coil and put in the top of a water cooler like you see in the offices and home. Take the 5 gallon jug off and put the coil in the water in the cooling part. The water then goes back to the drum cooled and your drum size becomes smaller and so on. Just a thought, but there are lots of the coolers out there.
      Second thought: Put a coolant in the water? Might increase the efficiency? Antifreeze is a glycol and glycerin I think. Bobc
    • Trid
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 7, 2008
        --- bob@... wrote:

        > When returning the hot water from the condenser I am thinking: take another
        > small condenser coil and put in the top of a water cooler like you see in the
        > offices and home. Take the 5 gallon jug off and put the coil in the water in
        > the cooling part.

        It's a good theory, but if you've ever looked down into the reservoir portion
        of a water cooler, there really isn't much room for a coil to fit in there too
        well. What would fit in there would be more likely a flow restriction than a
        benefit.

        > The water then goes back to the drum cooled and your drum
        > size becomes smaller and so on. Just a thought, but there are lots of the
        > coolers out there.

        Even better (and lest costly to run than your water cooler compressor) is a
        small radiator like a transmission cooler or motorcycle radiator in your return
        line (in lieu of the water cooler). Blow a fan over that while returning your
        water and you'll have virtually unlimited cooling water. Your fan will use
        less electricity than the water cooler compressor and the radiators are much
        less of a flow restriction. You don't have to worry about water contaminants
        because it's never in contact with your product. Cleaner/unused is always
        best, but you have wiggle room here.

        > Second thought: Put a coolant in the water? Might increase the efficiency?
        > Antifreeze is a glycol and glycerin I think. Bobc

        Antifreeze is indeed glycol...ethylene glycol to be exact [1] (though propylene
        glycol can be used as a substitute *and* is safe for human consumption). [2]
        Keep in mind that "antifreeze" is the key word, not "coolant." The reason you
        mix antifreeze with water before you put it in your car's cooling system is
        that water is a much better coolant than antifreeze. Antifreeze (which also
        acts as an anti-boil) just prevents it from freezing in extreme cold
        conditions. It has other benefits such as anti-corrosive additives, but it
        doesn't improve the cooling ability...actually the opposite.

        Thus, as long as we don't need freeze protection (obvious answer there), pure
        water is the best coolant we can use. Now, suppose you're in Minnesota and
        your cooling reservoir is outside and you're using that as your coolant,
        antifreeze might not be such a bad idea :)

        Trid
        -fluid geek

        [1] Then again, I haven't accounted for the new "green" antifreezes on the
        market, which (somebody correct me if I'm mistaken) is propylene glycol.
        [2] Amusingly, the treatment for the accidental ingestion of ethylene glycol is
        ethanol...if you accidentally swallow a mouthful of Prestone, booze it up!!!
        It has to do with the by-products of when the liver breaks it down...the
        ethanol somehow alters or interrupts what it does to the ethylene glycol.