Re: Rum flavours

  • Sherman
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 3, 2008
      Call me simple.
      I try to get my rum flavor the old fashioned way. I use blackstrap
      molasses and a few runs through a pot still. For spiced rum I use
      spices. Go figure. I even use real caramel flavor from carmalized
      sugar. Wow, there are no chemicals at all. I must be screwing up
      somewhere. Oh yeah, my oaked run is pretty tasty over a little ice.
      Just call me old fashioned.

      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "anthony547357"

      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 3, 2008

        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "anthony547357" <Anthony.Athawes@...> wrote:

        > ---
        > I tried looking up this reference as anything on Rum is of interest,
        > never having had any success - possibly through not being able to get
        > proper Molasses in this country.
        >
        > "Page not available". Will try later, but was the ref correct?
        >
        > Tony

        Yes, it's correct.  But the link is split in half.  Just add the second line to the first.  Here it is complete...
        http://etd.lsu.edu/docs/available/etd-1114102-110301/unrestricted/Maza_Gomez_thesis.pdf

        I've had this one for years.  I think I even posted the link once.  It's ok research, but there's not much in it that we don't already know.  However it does reinforce the molasses clearing operation before fermentation, which I can't seem to get through to people for some reason.

      • harleybeard
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 3, 2008
          <Anthony.Athawes@...> wrote:

          > ---
          > I tried looking up this reference as anything on Rum is of
          interest,
          > never having had any success - possibly through not being able to
          get
          > proper Molasses in this country.
          >
          > "Page not available". Will try later, but was the ref correct?
          >
          > Tony
          >

          > In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "bbornais" <bbornais@> wrote:
          > >
          > > what the heck?
          > >
          > > I wish I spent my masters doing such a project!
          > >
          > > Geez.
          > >
          > > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "harleybeard" <harleybeard@>
          > > wrote:
          > > >
          > > > This might be of interest to those of you who are trying to
          make
          > > good
          > > > rum
          > > > Cheers
          > > > Jeff
          > > > http://etd.lsu.edu/docs/available/etd-1114102-
          > > > 110301/unrestricted/Maza_Gomez_thesis.pdf

          Hi, Anthony
          I see the whole thing didn't come over as a complete link. Try
          copying and pasteing the whole lot into your address bar, or perhaps
          some of the more computer literate out there can fix it and re post it
          Cheers
          Jeff
        • anthony547357
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 3, 2008
            Harry, Thank you for the reference - it came out fine.

            Tony

            > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "anthony547357"
            <Anthony.Athawes@>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > ---
            > > I tried looking up this reference as anything on Rum is of
            interest,
            > > never having had any success - possibly through not being able to
            get
            > > proper Molasses in this country.
            > >
            > > "Page not available". Will try later, but was the ref correct?
            > >
            > > Tony
            >

            > Yes, it's correct. But the link is split in half. Just add the
            second
            > line to the first. Here it is complete...
            > http://etd.lsu.edu/docs/available/etd-1114102-
            110301/unrestricted/Maza_G\
            > omez_thesis.pdf
            > <http://etd.lsu.edu/docs/available/etd-1114102-
            110301/unrestricted/Maza_\
            > Gomez_thesis.pdf>
            >
            > I've had this one for years. I think I even posted the link once.
            It's
            > ok research, but there's not much in it that we don't already know.
            > However it does reinforce the molasses clearing operation before
            > fermentation, which I can't seem to get through to people for some
            > reason.
            >
            > Slainte!
            > regards Harry

          • pugs2510
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 4, 2008
              wrote:

              > This might be of interest to those of you who are trying to make a
              good
              > rum
              > Cheers
              > Jeff
              > http://etd.lsu.edu/docs/available/etd-1114102-
              > 110301/unrestricted/Maza_Gomez_thesis.pdf

              I being a rum freak foun this most interesting good stuff to read over
              late

              thanks pugs
            • jamesonbeam1
              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 4, 2008