Re: Rum flavours

  • anthony547357
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 3, 2008
      ---
      I tried looking up this reference as anything on Rum is of interest,
      never having had any success - possibly through not being able to get
      proper Molasses in this country.

      "Page not available". Will try later, but was the ref correct?

      Tony

      In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "bbornais" <bbornais@...> wrote:

      > what the heck?
      >
      > I wish I spent my masters doing such a project!
      >
      > Geez.
      >
      > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "harleybeard" <harleybeard@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > This might be of interest to those of you who are trying to make
      > good
      > > rum
      > > Cheers
      > > Jeff
      > > http://etd.lsu.edu/docs/available/etd-1114102-
      > > 110301/unrestricted/Maza_Gomez_thesis.pdf

    • Sherman
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 3, 2008
        Call me simple.
        I try to get my rum flavor the old fashioned way. I use blackstrap
        molasses and a few runs through a pot still. For spiced rum I use
        spices. Go figure. I even use real caramel flavor from carmalized
        sugar. Wow, there are no chemicals at all. I must be screwing up
        somewhere. Oh yeah, my oaked run is pretty tasty over a little ice.
        Just call me old fashioned.

        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "anthony547357"

        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 3, 2008

          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "anthony547357" <Anthony.Athawes@...> wrote:

          > ---
          > I tried looking up this reference as anything on Rum is of interest,
          > never having had any success - possibly through not being able to get
          > proper Molasses in this country.
          >
          > "Page not available". Will try later, but was the ref correct?
          >
          > Tony

          Yes, it's correct.  But the link is split in half.  Just add the second line to the first.  Here it is complete...
          http://etd.lsu.edu/docs/available/etd-1114102-110301/unrestricted/Maza_Gomez_thesis.pdf

          I've had this one for years.  I think I even posted the link once.  It's ok research, but there's not much in it that we don't already know.  However it does reinforce the molasses clearing operation before fermentation, which I can't seem to get through to people for some reason.

        • harleybeard
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 3, 2008
            <Anthony.Athawes@...> wrote:

            > ---
            > I tried looking up this reference as anything on Rum is of
            interest,
            > never having had any success - possibly through not being able to
            get
            > proper Molasses in this country.
            >
            > "Page not available". Will try later, but was the ref correct?
            >
            > Tony
            >

            > In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "bbornais" <bbornais@> wrote:
            > >
            > > what the heck?
            > >
            > > I wish I spent my masters doing such a project!
            > >
            > > Geez.
            > >
            > > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "harleybeard" <harleybeard@>
            > > wrote:
            > > >
            > > > This might be of interest to those of you who are trying to
            make
            > > good
            > > > rum
            > > > Cheers
            > > > Jeff
            > > > http://etd.lsu.edu/docs/available/etd-1114102-
            > > > 110301/unrestricted/Maza_Gomez_thesis.pdf

            Hi, Anthony
            I see the whole thing didn't come over as a complete link. Try
            copying and pasteing the whole lot into your address bar, or perhaps
            some of the more computer literate out there can fix it and re post it
            Cheers
            Jeff
          • anthony547357
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 3, 2008
              Harry, Thank you for the reference - it came out fine.

              Tony

              > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "anthony547357"
              <Anthony.Athawes@>
              > wrote:
              > >
              > > ---
              > > I tried looking up this reference as anything on Rum is of
              interest,
              > > never having had any success - possibly through not being able to
              get
              > > proper Molasses in this country.
              > >
              > > "Page not available". Will try later, but was the ref correct?
              > >
              > > Tony
              >

              > Yes, it's correct. But the link is split in half. Just add the
              second
              > line to the first. Here it is complete...
              > http://etd.lsu.edu/docs/available/etd-1114102-
              110301/unrestricted/Maza_G\
              > omez_thesis.pdf
              > <http://etd.lsu.edu/docs/available/etd-1114102-
              110301/unrestricted/Maza_\
              > Gomez_thesis.pdf>
              >
              > I've had this one for years. I think I even posted the link once.
              It's
              > ok research, but there's not much in it that we don't already know.
              > However it does reinforce the molasses clearing operation before
              > fermentation, which I can't seem to get through to people for some
              > reason.
              >
              > Slainte!
              > regards Harry

            • pugs2510
              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 4, 2008
                wrote:

                > This might be of interest to those of you who are trying to make a
                good
                > rum
                > Cheers
                > Jeff
                > http://etd.lsu.edu/docs/available/etd-1114102-
                > 110301/unrestricted/Maza_Gomez_thesis.pdf

                I being a rum freak foun this most interesting good stuff to read over
                late

                thanks pugs
              • jamesonbeam1
                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 4, 2008