Re: Rum flavours

  • bbornais
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 3, 2008
      what the heck?

      I wish I spent my masters doing such a project!

      Geez.

      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "harleybeard" <harleybeard@...>
      wrote:

      > This might be of interest to those of you who are trying to make a
      good
      > rum
      > Cheers
      > Jeff
      > http://etd.lsu.edu/docs/available/etd-1114102-
      > 110301/unrestricted/Maza_Gomez_thesis.pdf

    • anthony547357
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 3, 2008
        ---
        I tried looking up this reference as anything on Rum is of interest,
        never having had any success - possibly through not being able to get
        proper Molasses in this country.

        "Page not available". Will try later, but was the ref correct?

        Tony

        In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "bbornais" <bbornais@...> wrote:

        > what the heck?
        >
        > I wish I spent my masters doing such a project!
        >
        > Geez.
        >
        > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "harleybeard" <harleybeard@>
        > wrote:
        > >
        > > This might be of interest to those of you who are trying to make
        > good
        > > rum
        > > Cheers
        > > Jeff
        > > http://etd.lsu.edu/docs/available/etd-1114102-
        > > 110301/unrestricted/Maza_Gomez_thesis.pdf

      • Sherman
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 3, 2008
          Call me simple.
          I try to get my rum flavor the old fashioned way. I use blackstrap
          molasses and a few runs through a pot still. For spiced rum I use
          spices. Go figure. I even use real caramel flavor from carmalized
          sugar. Wow, there are no chemicals at all. I must be screwing up
          somewhere. Oh yeah, my oaked run is pretty tasty over a little ice.
          Just call me old fashioned.

          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "anthony547357"

          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 3, 2008

            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "anthony547357" <Anthony.Athawes@...> wrote:

            > ---
            > I tried looking up this reference as anything on Rum is of interest,
            > never having had any success - possibly through not being able to get
            > proper Molasses in this country.
            >
            > "Page not available". Will try later, but was the ref correct?
            >
            > Tony

            Yes, it's correct.  But the link is split in half.  Just add the second line to the first.  Here it is complete...
            http://etd.lsu.edu/docs/available/etd-1114102-110301/unrestricted/Maza_Gomez_thesis.pdf

            I've had this one for years.  I think I even posted the link once.  It's ok research, but there's not much in it that we don't already know.  However it does reinforce the molasses clearing operation before fermentation, which I can't seem to get through to people for some reason.

          • harleybeard
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 3, 2008
              <Anthony.Athawes@...> wrote:

              > ---
              > I tried looking up this reference as anything on Rum is of
              interest,
              > never having had any success - possibly through not being able to
              get
              > proper Molasses in this country.
              >
              > "Page not available". Will try later, but was the ref correct?
              >
              > Tony
              >

              > In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "bbornais" <bbornais@> wrote:
              > >
              > > what the heck?
              > >
              > > I wish I spent my masters doing such a project!
              > >
              > > Geez.
              > >
              > > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "harleybeard" <harleybeard@>
              > > wrote:
              > > >
              > > > This might be of interest to those of you who are trying to
              make
              > > good
              > > > rum
              > > > Cheers
              > > > Jeff
              > > > http://etd.lsu.edu/docs/available/etd-1114102-
              > > > 110301/unrestricted/Maza_Gomez_thesis.pdf

              Hi, Anthony
              I see the whole thing didn't come over as a complete link. Try
              copying and pasteing the whole lot into your address bar, or perhaps
              some of the more computer literate out there can fix it and re post it
              Cheers
              Jeff
            • anthony547357
              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 3, 2008
                Harry, Thank you for the reference - it came out fine.

                Tony

                > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "anthony547357"
                <Anthony.Athawes@>
                > wrote:
                > >
                > > ---
                > > I tried looking up this reference as anything on Rum is of
                interest,
                > > never having had any success - possibly through not being able to
                get
                > > proper Molasses in this country.
                > >
                > > "Page not available". Will try later, but was the ref correct?
                > >
                > > Tony
                >

                > Yes, it's correct. But the link is split in half. Just add the
                second
                > line to the first. Here it is complete...
                > http://etd.lsu.edu/docs/available/etd-1114102-
                110301/unrestricted/Maza_G\
                > omez_thesis.pdf
                > <http://etd.lsu.edu/docs/available/etd-1114102-
                110301/unrestricted/Maza_\
                > Gomez_thesis.pdf>
                >
                > I've had this one for years. I think I even posted the link once.
                It's
                > ok research, but there's not much in it that we don't already know.
                > However it does reinforce the molasses clearing operation before
                > fermentation, which I can't seem to get through to people for some
                > reason.
                >
                > Slainte!
                > regards Harry

              • pugs2510
                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 4, 2008
                  wrote:

                  > This might be of interest to those of you who are trying to make a
                  good
                  > rum
                  > Cheers
                  > Jeff
                  > http://etd.lsu.edu/docs/available/etd-1114102-
                  > 110301/unrestricted/Maza_Gomez_thesis.pdf

                  I being a rum freak foun this most interesting good stuff to read over
                  late

                  thanks pugs
                • jamesonbeam1
                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 4, 2008