Re: Tripple Sec - Advice please

  • Rasmus
    Message 1 of 24 , Jan 27, 2008
      I've made quite a few cointreau-like distillations and you doing
      absolutely right but you need to dillute it with alcohol. If you want
      it clear at 40% (or ~50% if you want to add sugar syryp), just dillute
      it with pure alcohol+water until it gets clear. The taste will still
      be intense enough.

      I always use invert sugar syryp which you easily can make yourself.
      Here's a recipy:

      0,5 liter:
      416 grams of sugar = 0.26 liter
      0.3 liter of water
      A little pinch of citric acid, half a millilitre or so.

      Let it simmer for 15 minutes.
      Ready to add to your cointreau base.

      If you want you can also add a little glycerol to make it even better.
      I've never done that though so I can't guide you to how much.

      /Vini

      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, martin martins <mm123@...> wrote:

      > Hi Wal
      >
      > Yes Cointreau was something like I was aiming for. I think you might
      be right about using too much peel then, I probably used a lot more
      than three, I was just peeling a shed-load while watching TV.

      > I used Seville oranges and it does taste really good after the
      steeped liquor was put through the still again. Maybe there is too
      much oil from the oranges and I'll have another go with less peel.
      It's just a little too alcoholic to enjoy, I know throwing a colloid
      isn't damaging, but it doesn't look as nice.

      > Thanks for your thoughts

    • justin webster
      Message 2 of 24 , Jan 27, 2008
        hmmm,
        So I tried my first batch with molasses only (5kg) and sat down to
        distill it last night.

        unfortunately the molasses wash seemed to want to foam up with the
        slightest provocation.
        as soon as the still got up to temp and started producing, the foam
        would reach the top of the still and into the condenser.
        so I removed nearly half of the wash and tried again. it would go a
        little longer before foaming over but there was no way I could leave
        it distilling by itself for more than a minute.

        I spent a couple of hours switching the power on and off to keep it
        just below foaming but eventually gave up when I realised the small
        amount of rum I had produced was both weak and foul.

        also I noticed another strange effect:
        whenever it foamed over, I would left it cool and wait for the foam
        to settle.
        as the still heated back up I would get a lot of steam escaping the
        condenser as well as some condensed alcohol.
        once I got the still back up to 78 (by careful power management) the
        steam ceased.
        I had a guess that the hot steam in a cooler environment was more
        forcefully trying to exit through the condenser and hence was only
        partially condensed.
        I also ended up with a pretty weak distillate of around 35% which
        seemed strange since the temperature never got above 85.

        any thoughts much appreciated.
        justin
        Message 3 of 24 , Jan 27, 2008
          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, justin webster <mail@...> wrote:

          > hmmm,
          > So I tried my first batch with molasses only (5kg) and sat down
          > distill it last night.
          >
          > unfortunately the molasses wash seemed to want to foam up with
          the
          > slightest provocation.
          > as soon as the still got up to temp and started producing, the
          foam
          > would reach the top of the still and into the condenser.
          > so I removed nearly half of the wash and tried again. it would go
          > little longer before foaming over but there was no way I could
          leave
          > it distilling by itself for more than a minute.
          >
          > I spent a couple of hours switching the power on and off to keep
          it
          > just below foaming but eventually gave up when I realised the
          small
          > amount of rum I had produced was both weak and foul.
          >
          > also I noticed another strange effect:
          > whenever it foamed over, I would left it cool and wait for the
          foam
          > to settle.
          > as the still heated back up I would get a lot of steam escaping
          the
          > condenser as well as some condensed alcohol.
          > once I got the still back up to 78 (by careful power management)
          the
          > steam ceased.
          > I had a guess that the hot steam in a cooler environment was more
          > forcefully trying to exit through the condenser and hence was
          only
          > partially condensed.
          > I also ended up with a pretty weak distillate of around 35% which
          > seemed strange since the temperature never got above 85.
          >
          > any thoughts much appreciated.
          > justin

          Foaming is caused by too much power driving too small a column
          and/or too much beer in the boiler. You can remedy it to a degree
          by putting something in the wash to break the surface tension,
          usually an oil such as butter or veg oil or even pure soap! (animal
          fat, no perfumes).
          The best remedy is to reduce your power input to match your column
          capacity.

          Having said that, be aware also that molasses washes are notorious
          for foaming. Read about molasses as a feedstock in my Library...

        • martin martins
          Message 4 of 24 , Jan 27, 2008
            Thanks very much everyone.

            For my first attempt it's good to know I wasn't that far off and I'll refine it for next time.

            I'll let you all know how the orange wash turns out in a couple of weeks time, I've two gallons to run through and it smells fantastic right now.

            Message 5 of 24 , Jan 27, 2008
              Harry,

              As I understand it the reason behind foaming are those proteins left
              in the mash from sparging. The rolling action from fast boiling
              causes them to form that sticky foam. As you boil the mash further
              they slowly clump together and sink to the bottom of the boiler,
              thus no more foam. The trick is to boil it slow enough to in order
              to prevent that foam getting out of control. After an hour or so the
              foam usually clears and you can up the power. It's a great help if
              you can observe the foaming event inside the boiler while doing
              this. Adding butter and salt won't hurt either.

              Cheers, Riku

              Message 6 of 24 , Jan 27, 2008
                Unfermentable sugars are also a source of the problem - especially in
                rum as molasses does not have much protein.
                wal

                > Harry,
                >
                > As I understand it the reason behind foaming are those proteins left
                > in the mash from sparging. The rolling action from fast boiling
                > causes them to form that sticky foam. As you boil the mash further
                > they slowly clump together and sink to the bottom of the boiler,
                > thus no more foam. The trick is to boil it slow enough to in order
                > to prevent that foam getting out of control. After an hour or so the
                > foam usually clears and you can up the power. It's a great help if
                > you can observe the foaming event inside the boiler while doing
                > this. Adding butter and salt won't hurt either.
                >
                > Cheers, Riku

                > > Foaming is caused by too much power driving too small a column
                > > and/or too much beer in the boiler. You can remedy it to a degree
                > > by putting something in the wash to break the surface tension,
                > > usually an oil such as butter or veg oil or even pure soap!
                > (animal
                > > fat, no perfumes).
                > > The best remedy is to reduce your power input to match your column
                > > capacity.
                > >
                > > Having said that, be aware also that molasses washes are notorious
                > > for foaming. Read about molasses as a feedstock in my Library...
                > > http://distillers.tastylime.net/library/
                > >

                > > Slainte!
                > > regards Harry

              • justin webster
                Message 7 of 24 , Jan 28, 2008
                  In my case the foam just didn't stop.
                  I tired letting it cool down quite a bit as well as adding salt. no difference at all.
                  so I gave up and let it cool right down.

                  a generous splash of peanut oil (what I had on hand) next morning fixed the issue completely.
                  does anyone know of any side effect to adding vegetable oils?
                  can it add or change the flavours?

                  thanks for the input,
                  justin

                  --- In Distillers@yahoogro ups.com , "abbababbaccc" <abbababbaccc@ ...>

                  Message 8 of 24 , Jan 28, 2008
                    Butter is not recommended as it can give a butterscotch flavour
                    (forgot the chemical responsible). Traditionally pure hard soda
                    (unperfumed) was used. It also apparently removed fusels. 40g
                    soap/litre of low wines (Distillation and Rectification of Alcohol. W
                    T Brannt, 1885)
                    wal

                    Message 9 of 24 , Jan 28, 2008

                      > Butter is not recommended as it can give a butterscotch flavour
                      > (forgot the chemical responsible). Traditionally pure hard soda
                      > (unperfumed) was used. It also apparently removed fusels. 40g
                      > soap/litre of low wines (Distillation and Rectification of Alcohol. W
                      > T Brannt, 1885)
                      > wal

                      The chemical is Diacetyl. Not liked in beers (hence the 'diacetyl
                      rest', look it up), but usually present and much better tolerated
                      (small amounts, ppm) in Scotch Whiskies. For this reason butter is
                      acceptable as a surface tension reducer in whiskies as it blends in
                      with the usual profile of Scotches.

                      However, the original poster was talking about molasses washes.
                      Butter is not the first choice for that, but if nothing else is
                      available, it's better than having the whole thing 'puke'.

                    • Vini
                      Message 10 of 24 , Jan 28, 2008
                        You actually don't need to macerate it very long or at all. The heat
                        when boiling is enough to draw out the taste, the essential oils.

                        /Vini

                        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, martin martins <mm123@...> wrote:

                        > Thanks very much everyone.
                        >
                        > For my first attempt it's good to know I wasn't that far off and
                        I'll refine it for next time.

                        > I'll let you all know how the orange wash turns out in a couple of
                        weeks time, I've two gallons to run through and it smells fantastic
                        right now.

                        > it clear at 40% (or ~50% if you want to add sugar syryp), just dillute
                        >
                        > it with pure alcohol+water until it gets clear. The taste will still
                        >
                        > be intense enough.
                        >

                        > I always use invert sugar syryp which you easily can make yourself.
                        >
                        > Here's a recipy:
                        >

                        > 0,5 liter:
                        >
                        > 416 grams of sugar = 0.26 liter
                        >
                        > 0.3 liter of water
                        >
                        > A little pinch of citric acid, half a millilitre or so.
                        >

                        > Let it simmer for 15 minutes.
                        >
                        > Ready to add to your cointreau base.
                        >

                        > If you want you can also add a little glycerol to make it even better.
                        >
                        > I've never done that though so I can't guide you to how much.
                        >

                        > /Vini

                        > http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs

                      • toddk63
                        Message 11 of 24 , Jan 28, 2008
                          I use Manteca (Pork lard for tamales) but only for the strip . I
                          don't need it for the spirit run.

                          Todd K.

                          > > Butter is not recommended as it can give a butterscotch flavour
                          > > (forgot the chemical responsible). Traditionally pure hard soda
                          > > (unperfumed) was used. It also apparently removed fusels. 40g
                          > > soap/litre of low wines (Distillation and Rectification of Alcohol. W
                          > > T Brannt, 1885)
                          > > wal
                          >

                          > The chemical is Diacetyl. Not liked in beers (hence the 'diacetyl
                          > rest', look it up), but usually present and much better tolerated
                          > (small amounts, ppm) in Scotch Whiskies. For this reason butter is
                          > acceptable as a surface tension reducer in whiskies as it blends in
                          > with the usual profile of Scotches.
                          >
                          > However, the original poster was talking about molasses washes.
                          > Butter is not the first choice for that, but if nothing else is
                          > available, it's better than having the whole thing 'puke'.
                          >
                          > Slainte!
                          > regards Harry

                        • sonum norbu
                          Message 12 of 24 , Jan 28, 2008
                            Nah, not at all. Just playing games kids games with the f@^%&ing kids. LOLOLO F'ing L

                            blanik

                            SOARING, SAILING AND SKYDIVING web page
                            http://www.angelfire.com/fl2/cloudbase/

                            Powered by Outblaze
                          • morganfield1
                            Message 13 of 24 , Jan 29, 2008
                              You're just trying to push the F word up to NO. 1!!!

                              Tip one, Morgan

                              --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "sonum norbu" <blanik@...> wrote:

                              > Nah, not at all. Just playing games kids games with the f@^%&ing
                              kids. LOLOLO F'ing L

                              > blanik

                            • gff_stwrt
                              Message 14 of 24 , Feb 4, 2008
                                --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "bbornais" <bbornais@...> wrote:

                                > Sounds about right. The clouding is from the oils precipitating
                                out
                                > of solution as you drive the solubilizing power of the alcohol
                                down.

                                > The rule is:
                                >
                                > Like dissolves like. The oils in the orange are slightly polar
                                > organic, and so is the ethanol. As you add water, which is highly
                                > polar aqueous phase, you drive out the least soluble ingredient,
                                > which are the oils.
                                >
                                > The same thing happens with Absinthe. This is why it is stored at
                                70%
                                > ABV, then cut back with water, causing the louche.

                                snip

                                > Bryan.

                                Hi, Bryan and folks,

                                Okay, so a liqueur that goes milky when you add water to
                                reduce the alcohol to 'sipping level' could be stored at (say)70%
                                abv, which would look nice in the bottle and save a lot of space.
                                Then when you want to drink it you add (say) an equal
                                quantity of water to the glass.
                                And it goes a bit milky in the glass. So what?!
                                So do some other drinks anyway. (Pernod, I think?)

                                Sounds like a good idea.

                                Regards,
                                The Baker
                              • bbornais
                                Message 15 of 24 , Feb 4, 2008
                                  ?

                                  Message 16 of 24 , Feb 5, 2008
                                    "So what?!" Well the characteristic of a triple-sec is that it does
                                    not go cloudy, so you can add ice to Cointreau or Curacao and still
                                    have a clear drink. The visual aspect is also important.
                                    wal
                                    --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "gff_stwrt" <gff_stwrt@...> wrote:

                                    > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "bbornais" <bbornais@> wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > > Sounds about right. The clouding is from the oils precipitating
                                    > out
                                    > > of solution as you drive the solubilizing power of the alcohol
                                    > down.
                                    > >
                                    > > The rule is:
                                    > >
                                    > > Like dissolves like. The oils in the orange are slightly polar
                                    > > organic, and so is the ethanol. As you add water, which is highly
                                    > > polar aqueous phase, you drive out the least soluble ingredient,
                                    > > which are the oils.
                                    > >
                                    > > The same thing happens with Absinthe. This is why it is stored at
                                    > 70%
                                    > > ABV, then cut back with water, causing the louche.
                                    > >
                                    > snip
                                    > >
                                    > > Bryan.
                                    > >
                                    > Hi, Bryan and folks,
                                    >
                                    > Okay, so a liqueur that goes milky when you add water to
                                    > reduce the alcohol to 'sipping level' could be stored at (say)70%
                                    > abv, which would look nice in the bottle and save a lot of space.
                                    > Then when you want to drink it you add (say) an equal
                                    > quantity of water to the glass.
                                    > And it goes a bit milky in the glass. So what?!
                                    > So do some other drinks anyway. (Pernod, I think?)
                                    >
                                    > Sounds like a good idea.
                                    >
                                    > Regards,
                                    > The Baker

                                  • gff_stwrt
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Feb 5, 2008
                                      Thanks, Wal, and you're no doubt right as usual.
                                      Perhaps I should have said,"tradition aside..." !
                                      At this stage of my hobby I am not much concerned with making a
                                      product which is just the same as any well-known liqueur or spirit.
                                      I just want it to taste good. And look good.

                                      As I learn more I would love to try some of your traditional
                                      recipes, but I expect I will still be interested in trying different
                                      things, 'just to see if they work!'
                                      Thanks again for your help and encouragement.