Re: Danstil-493

  • pervysage5
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 25, 2008
      were the runs through an Alembic/pot-still or a column? if it
      doesn't work out would one be able to re-distill in a spirit run just
      collecting the hearts get rid of some the undesirable characteristics
      you mention? (novice question here - is "hot nose" something to do
      with congeners or tails?)

      how would stripping and then re-distilling after adding baking soda
      effect the flavor/nose? I read this can recover ethanol from ethyl
      acetate, but don't know if this would only be for rectified spirits
      or how it would effect a flavored spirit.

      thanks for your share about EDV 493 - very interesting

      Pervy Sage
      Sweet As'

      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, mike karnowski <djpotpie@...>
      wrote:

      > We did an experimental batch of rum at the distillery using this
      yeast. It is isolated off Guatamalan sugar cane. If you have ever had
      Rum Agricole which is rum fermented from fresh squeezed cane juice
      (mostly from the island of Martinique) then you know it has a grassy
      almost phenolic character, I had always thought that the flavor came
      from the fresh cane but even when we made rum using 100% molasses it
      smelled JUST like Agricole. The distillate has a very hot nose that
      couldn't be removed even with multiple carbon filtering. My feeling
      is that it would be inappropriate for a mezcal or tequila, I would
      only use it for a Martinique style rum or a Cachaca. I think the
      primary flavor of tequila/mezcal is the fresh agave pinas, I have
      never tasted a decent homemade tequila made with agave "nectar". Too
      bad it's almost impossible to get/afford some pinas to do it
      authentically. -nolarummy

      Search.