Absinthe Book

    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 7, 2008
      There's been a re-publishing of the 1872 English
      translation of Duplais' "Treatise on the Manufacture and Distillation
      of Alcoholic Liquors". It's not cheap ($135), but some of you may be
      interested. It's got extensive info on Absinthe as made originally.
      Details here...
      http://www.oxygenee.com/absinthe-buy/books5.html

    • Trid
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 7, 2008
        --- Harry <gnikomson2000@...> wrote:

        > There's been a re-publishing of the 1872 English
        > translation of Duplais' "Treatise on the Manufacture and Distillation
        > of Alcoholic Liquors". It's not cheap ($135), but some of you may be
        > interested. It's got extensive info on Absinthe as made originally.
        > Details here...
        > http://www.oxygenee.com/absinthe-buy/books5.html
        >

        > Slainte!
        > regards Harry

        If $135 is a little steep, you can find a searchable scan in .pdf form here:
        http://wormwoodsociety.flannestad.com/texts/Duplais_searchable.pdf

        Chapter 9 is all about Swiss Absinthe.

        Hope it helps,
        Trid
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 7, 2008

          > If $135 is a little steep, you can find a searchable scan in .pdf
          form here:
          > http://wormwoodsociety.flannestad.com/texts/Duplais_searchable.pdf
          >
          > Chapter 9 is all about Swiss Absinthe.
          >
          > Hope it helps,
          > Trid

          Good find, Trid. 34meg is a sizable download. I wouldn't want to
          do it with a dialup. :)

        • David Nathan-Maister
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 8, 2008
            Without wishing to cast a damper on things, I should point out that that's not a scan from an original copy of the book (as our printed facsimile is), but rather a scan of a previous (much more expensive) facsimile made from proprietary microfilm images. While the text of the book itself is out of copyright, edited graphic images of the pages can be subject to copyright. In short it's fine to scan an original and distribute it in any way you choose, but it's a copyright violation to scan someone else's edited facsimile images and distribute them freely, especially when, as in this case, the publishers have expressly forbidden electronic reproduction of their facsimile.

            In the same way, you can - in Europe if not the US - freely copy old 78's dating from before 1957 (ie more than 50 years old) and reproduce them on CD, but you can't then copy and distribute a CD based on someone elses CD transfers of these old records.

            I believe this is the reason the WS orginally withdrew the scans - I was not, until now, aware that they were still being hosted elsewhere.

            David