Variacs

  • anthony547357
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 6, 2008
      Someone commented recently that they had successfully used a Variac
      for heat control.

      I wrote in a note on it, but it disappeared, and Harry has confirmed
      that this sometimes happens with Yahoo.

      Back to the Variac. I once used one but it soon began to smoke. It
      wasn't a particularly small one but a couple of KW's was clearly too
      much. So, take care. By the time smoke comes out, it may already be
      dead!

      Following that, I put together a Voltage Controller from a
      Distiller's design (curiously I lost the design and have never been
      able to re-locate it). Anyway, the controller works very well, and,
      by adding a Voltmeter, quite fine control can be had over the still -
      typically around 80volts once up to the initial boil. This design
      cost under £5, abot a sixth of propriertary controllers, and is
      reasonably easy to put together. High voltages are present however,
      so make sure it is well insulated.

      Tony