multi columns

  • povinstitute
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 5, 2008
      I have read many discussions on multi columns and there problems in
      design utilizing a single condenser. Would independent multiple column
      and condensor systems (2"columns) mounted on one boiler work more
      effectively?

      Jeff
    • Robert N
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 5, 2008

        Hi Jeff, There has been several people over the years in these forums that have built multi and large diameter columns and it would be interesting to hear their feedback on the issues, however for one reason or another they either don’t hang around and give long term feedback or would not recommend it to others. The thing is a 2”column is very effective for the amount of wash we need to process, larger amounts are regarded as getting into the “sales” area, which is frowned upon in both these  forums. IMHO you would be better off making a slightly longer 3”column. I actually use a 4”x20” column with no insulation or packing for stripping and the wash comes out initially at around 70%.

        Cheers

        Robert

        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 6, 2008
          I would have to agree with Robert. Considering that most people in
          this forum are hobby distillers who are only making a 5 to 15 gallon
          wash, there really is no need to make a large multi-column still. With
          the difficulties that you might face with a multi-column still, it
          would be easier to just run two batches or have two stills running. If
          you are just stripping a batch, all you need is one unpacked column,
          and a product condenser that can handle the power input.

          -Tyler
        • abbababbaccc
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 7, 2008
            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "tyler_97355" <kd7enm@...> wrote:

            > I would have to agree with Robert. Considering that most people in
            > this forum are hobby distillers who are only making a 5 to 15
            gallon
            > wash, there really is no need to make a large multi-column still.
            With
            > the difficulties that you might face with a multi-column still, it
            > would be easier to just run two batches or have two stills
            running. If
            > you are just stripping a batch, all you need is one unpacked
            column,
            > and a product condenser that can handle the power input.
            >
            > -Tyler

            Some of us are interested in speeding up things. For that the
            multiple column approach does work, although it creates it's own set
            of problems. The easiest way is to build multiple identical columns
            with individual controls and condensers and set them up in the same
            boiler. After that you can try control and monitor them all in
            similar fashion and wonder where that one liter of booze went that
            didn't come out from your columns ;)

            Cheers, Riku