Re: [Distillers] Re: Filling Oak Barrel

  • Trid
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 30, 2007
      --- Harry <gnikomson2000@...> wrote:

      > ALWAYS use demineralised or distilled water when adjusting high abv
      > for barreling purposes and also for bottling purposes. There's less
      > chance of floc or mineral taint which can ruin your carefully made &
      > aged booze.
      >
      > You can use a splash of natural water to cut your aged product at
      > drinking time (if you wish), or for fermentations.
      >
      > Slainte!
      > regards Harry

      If it were me, I'd try an experimental batch with the spring water and with
      distilled water so I could compare them side by side. Where, as Harry
      mentions, the distilled/demin water will always yield consistent, clean
      results, given that the Scots use the local spring water for dilution (part of
      the peat character) it could work out quite nicely. Key word is "could" for
      the reasons Harry pointed out. Then again, that's me. If you have enough to
      split into multiple batches for aging, give it a go. If not, by all means pick
      the safer route so you're not taking the risk of tainting the fruits of your
      labor.

      Speaking of which, I have a few batches that I need to go put on oak today. As
      I only have city water as an option, purified drinking water is my choice for
      dilution. However, I have played with different levels of toast with my oak,
      so that's my experimental aging variable.

      Trid
      -I like experimenting...tried and true recipes are too predictable :)