Re: [Distillers] Re: StillDrinkin.com GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

  • Derek Hamlet
    Message 1 of 23 , Dec 5, 2007
      At 07:11 AM 12/5/2007, you wrote:
      >Remember -
      >this country was founded by a bunch of rebels.

      It's important to remember how many of our laws about distilling came
      into effect.
      It has little to do with prohibition, public health or any of the
      other BS arguments put forward by spin doctors and politicians.
      In the early days, (when George Washington still had a still) new
      settlers from Europe headed out into the hinterlands. Many of these
      people came from European roots with strong distilling traditions
      such as the Irish.
      Roads were little more than tracks.
      These folks often ended up farming and corn was fairly easy to grow.
      Getting the product to market involved wagons, animals and tracks
      that broke wheels and terrain that was daunting.
      Some folks distilled their product into alcohol and found not only
      could a mule carry two barrels of alcohol to market, the price was
      virtually the same as the price for corn. This was a no brainer.
      Enter the established distillers, the concept of lobbying, government
      (even though rebel raised) eager for taxes and you have a recipe for
      making distilling illegal.
      Bastards!
      I'd be guessing the annual costs to society of alcohol abuse of
      highly purified products produced by rich bastard distilling
      companies is far more than the social ills of "freelancers" over the
      entire history of the USof A.
      My apologies to all the non North Americans who chose to read
      this. I'm guessing the histories in Aus, NZ, Sweden or wherever is
      much the same.
      The good news for those of us that make product for ourselves and
      close friends is that there are way more important social ills for
      the forces of law and order to investigate than whether you and I are
      producing a few gallons of hooch every year.
      I never give it a thought, but I am also circumspect.

      Derek
      "From the cradle to the crypt it's a mighty short trip
      So you'd better get it while you can!"
      -from the Ballad of Carl Martin by Steve Goodman