Re: what is the best sort of carbon filter?

  • bbornais
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 4, 2007
      I personally like to put the carbon in a carboy, and shake periodically
      for a week or two. I then have a filter like yours. I just fill it a
      few inches, and pour the polished spirit through at maximum flow rate.
      The reason for the second step is that a short carbon column is an
      excellent filter for the loose carbon in the carboy. You don't even
      have to pour all the carbon out of the carboy, just decant off, as much
      as you can, then rinse with a bit of water, and decant again.

      It is a simpler time saver that uses your current equipment.

      By the way, a stainless steel screen (such as a splatter screen)
      attached to the end of a 2in copper pipe is a great filter tube
      requiring no plastic. You can simply cut a 21/2 in circle of stainless
      screen and pound it on the end with a 2 inch copper union.

      I support the pipe on a bicycle work stand. It is like a huge retort
      stand!

      Bryan.

      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "joelharris78" <joelharris78@...>