what is the best sort of carbon filter?

  • joelharris78
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 4, 2007
      i have been using a straight forward filter for years a 75mm round and
      1 meter long copper pipe reduced down at one end into a 20mm valve.
      filled with 500grams of activated carbon and i allow the alcohol to
      drip through at approx 1-2 drips per second. just wanting to know if
      there is a better way to filter. or is this the most efficient way to
      do it.
      other ideas would be greatly appreciated as i used my old filter to
      make my reflux tower bigger and better (now 94.5% out put) but now i
      have to make a new filter

      regards joel
    • bbornais
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 4, 2007
        I personally like to put the carbon in a carboy, and shake periodically
        for a week or two. I then have a filter like yours. I just fill it a
        few inches, and pour the polished spirit through at maximum flow rate.
        The reason for the second step is that a short carbon column is an
        excellent filter for the loose carbon in the carboy. You don't even
        have to pour all the carbon out of the carboy, just decant off, as much
        as you can, then rinse with a bit of water, and decant again.

        It is a simpler time saver that uses your current equipment.

        By the way, a stainless steel screen (such as a splatter screen)
        attached to the end of a 2in copper pipe is a great filter tube
        requiring no plastic. You can simply cut a 21/2 in circle of stainless
        screen and pound it on the end with a 2 inch copper union.

        I support the pipe on a bicycle work stand. It is like a huge retort
        stand!

        Bryan.

        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "joelharris78" <joelharris78@...>