Re: StillDrinkin.com GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

  • Sherman
    Message 1 of 23 , Dec 4, 2007
      I hate to be disagreeable but there exists an excellent example of a
      case where it is illegal.
      This is a current law and is from the Kentucky Revised Statutes.
      244.170 Apparatus for unlawful manufacture prohibited.
      No person shall buy, bargain, sell, loan, own, possess or knowingly
      transport any apparatus designed for the unlawful manufacture of
      alcoholic beverages.
      Effective: October 1, 1942
      History: Recodified 1942 Ky. Acts ch. 208, sec. 1, effective October
      1, 1942, from Ky.
      Stat. sec. 2554b-67.
      244.990 Penalties.
      (2) Any person who violates KRS 244.170 shall, upon the first
      conviction, be guilty of a Class A misdemeanor. Upon a second
      conviction he shall be guilty of a Class D felony. Upon the third and
      each subsequent conviction, he shall be guilty of a Class C felony.

      Just thought your should know.

      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Peggy" <rpk@...> wrote:

      > Hello James,
      >
      > Ownership of a still is not illegal in the United States. Operating the
      > still without a permit is illegal. It is fine to sell stills and the
      > function is optional. The system of sales reporting for
      distilleries is not
      > mandatory either nor is the manufacturing except for the 'unique
      number' to
      > be affixed to each functional, operating, and permitted still. This may
      > sound like gun control. I hope it doesn't get that bad for us.
      Remember
      > this country was founded by a bunch of rebels.
      >
      > Peggy

    • rye_junkie
      Message 2 of 23 , Dec 4, 2007
        Sherman is correct. I have a friend (although not a close friend) in
        law enforcement that I trust. I threw a hypothetical question at him
        the other day and asked how he felt about people making moonshine as a
        hobby. His reply was that it was none of his business as long as you
        were within the 5 gallon per year limit. This was a law enforcement
        officer of 15 years saying that he was pretty sure the law allowed you
        to make 5 gallons per year of shine for personal use. I asked him to
        check it out for me and he immediately got on the phone to a ATF agent
        friend of his and asked the guy to clarify the issue for him. My name
        was never mentioned during this. The agent replied on speaker phone
        that it was in fact illegal to own a still in the US without a permit.
        Possession of less than 3 gallons of shine is a misdemeanor and over a
        felony I believe is what he said. Afterward my friend smiled at me
        and said that we should forget that we had the conversation to begin
        with. This is not the first person in law enforcement to tell me they
        thought it was legal. I had an ATF agent a few years ago when i was
        still toying with the idea tell me that she "THOUGHT" it was legal to
        make a small amount for personal use.
        The bottom line seems to be that some if not a lot of law enforcement
        think that shine is like wine and beer. You can make a little you
        just cant sell it. Simply not true. But it does seem to be a bit
        fuzzy to alot of people. We can Buy and sell books on the subject,
        We can buy and sell stills on the internet and Ebay legally?, We can
        buy products legally that are specific to the hobby of illegal
        distilling, we can legally discuss what we illegally do on this
        forum. But if we get caught were in trouble. Sounds like entrapment
        to me. As alot of have said before. Maybe they just don't bother
        with us anymore. I will continue on as will most of us who enjoy this
        hobby. But I will always be looking over my shoulder while operating
        my still. I will also be keeping the door shut, and the exhaust fan
        on high.

        Mason

        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Sherman" <pintoshine@...> wrote:

        > I hate to be disagreeable but there exists an excellent example of a
        > case where it is illegal.
        > This is a current law and is from the Kentucky Revised Statutes.
        > 244.170 Apparatus for unlawful manufacture prohibited.
        > No person shall buy, bargain, sell, loan, own, possess or knowingly
        > transport any apparatus designed for the unlawful manufacture of
        > alcoholic beverages.
        > Effective: October 1, 1942
        > History: Recodified 1942 Ky. Acts ch. 208, sec. 1, effective October
        > 1, 1942, from Ky.
        > Stat. sec. 2554b-67.
        > 244.990 Penalties.
        > (2) Any person who violates KRS 244.170 shall, upon the first
        > conviction, be guilty of a Class A misdemeanor. Upon a second
        > conviction he shall be guilty of a Class D felony. Upon the third and
        > each subsequent conviction, he shall be guilty of a Class C felony.
        >
        > Just thought your should know.
        >

        > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Peggy" <rpk@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Hello James,
        > >
        > > Ownership of a still is not illegal in the United States.
        Operating the
        > > still without a permit is illegal. It is fine to sell stills and the
        > > function is optional. The system of sales reporting for
        > distilleries is not
        > > mandatory either nor is the manufacturing except for the 'unique
        > number' to
        > > be affixed to each functional, operating, and permitted still.
        This may
        > > sound like gun control. I hope it doesn't get that bad for us.
        > Remember
        > > this country was founded by a bunch of rebels.
        > >
        > > Peggy
      • harry day
        Message 3 of 23 , Dec 4, 2007
          I bought the turbo  master combo last January from Still Drinkin.com  and it took a few phone calls and a couple months but I did receive my still. They were very helpful most of the time but when I ordered other items I had a lot of trouble getting them and I had to have paypal help me out. They never send items out when they say they will.  They dont seem to be very organized and have no way to keep track of their orders or shipping. Also when talking to them most of the time it is hard to hear them for all the back ground noise and due to the fact they seem to be on cell phones........

        • jamesonbeam1
          Message 4 of 23 , Dec 5, 2007
            Hi Peggy,

            Yes you are sort of correct - it is legal to own a still for
            decorative purposes like on a wall or in a salon or as a lamp (i ment
            to say own a still without permit ot operate)...

            However, if by some remote chance the ATF or my friendly local
            sheriffs, of whom ive met many, did come into my house (which they
            have on occasion from other problems) with a search warrent and found
            2 - 12 gallon primary fermenters filled with corn mash in various
            stages of fermentation, along with proof and wine hydrometers, yeast,
            acid blend, yeast nutrients, iodine, PH test strips, glycerine, mason
            jars (some filled with shine), and many pounds of sugar, corn meal,
            flaked corn, liquid malt, etc,etc... along with disassembled still
            components, then....

            I believe i would be in deep caca from a little known legal term
            known as "intent to process...." as stated below.

            But thanks for the info.

            Vino es Veritas,
            Jim.

            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "rye_junkie" <rye_junkie@...>
            wrote:

> [...]
            > > each subsequent conviction, he shall be guilty of a Class C
            felony.

            > > Just thought your should know.
            > >

            > > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Peggy" <rpk@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Hello James,
            > > >
            > > > Ownership of a still is not illegal in the United States.
            > Operating the
            > > > still without a permit is illegal. It is fine to sell stills
            and the
            > > > function is optional. The system of sales reporting for
            > > distilleries is not
            > > > mandatory either nor is the manufacturing except for the 'unique
            > > number' to
            > > > be affixed to each functional, operating, and permitted still.
            > This may
            > > > sound like gun control. I hope it doesn't get that bad for us.
            > > Remember
            > > > this country was founded by a bunch of rebels.

          • jamesonbeam1
            Message 5 of 23 , Dec 5, 2007
              --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Peggy" <rpk@> wrote:

              -snip -
              Remember -
              this country was founded by a bunch of rebels.

              Peggy

              Yup, guess you are so correct there too.
              I is somewhat of a rebel lol :):):)

              Keep the faith and Vino es Veritas,
              Jim.
            • Derek Hamlet
              Message 6 of 23 , Dec 5, 2007
                At 07:11 AM 12/5/2007, you wrote:
                >Remember -
                >this country was founded by a bunch of rebels.

                It's important to remember how many of our laws about distilling came
                into effect.
                It has little to do with prohibition, public health or any of the
                other BS arguments put forward by spin doctors and politicians.
                In the early days, (when George Washington still had a still) new
                settlers from Europe headed out into the hinterlands. Many of these
                people came from European roots with strong distilling traditions
                such as the Irish.
                Roads were little more than tracks.
                These folks often ended up farming and corn was fairly easy to grow.
                Getting the product to market involved wagons, animals and tracks
                that broke wheels and terrain that was daunting.
                Some folks distilled their product into alcohol and found not only
                could a mule carry two barrels of alcohol to market, the price was
                virtually the same as the price for corn. This was a no brainer.
                Enter the established distillers, the concept of lobbying, government
                (even though rebel raised) eager for taxes and you have a recipe for
                making distilling illegal.
                Bastards!
                I'd be guessing the annual costs to society of alcohol abuse of
                highly purified products produced by rich bastard distilling
                companies is far more than the social ills of "freelancers" over the
                entire history of the USof A.
                My apologies to all the non North Americans who chose to read
                this. I'm guessing the histories in Aus, NZ, Sweden or wherever is
                much the same.
                The good news for those of us that make product for ourselves and
                close friends is that there are way more important social ills for
                the forces of law and order to investigate than whether you and I are
                producing a few gallons of hooch every year.
                I never give it a thought, but I am also circumspect.

                Derek
                "From the cradle to the crypt it's a mighty short trip
                So you'd better get it while you can!"
                -from the Ballad of Carl Martin by Steve Goodman