Now THIS is REAL Rum Enjoyment

    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 28, 2007

      Seen a few posts lately by people who, by their own admission, make booze by the gallon (60+ litre stills).  Same people claim they only have 1 or 2 shots a day/week.  Where's the rest going?  Thirsty rellies?

      Anyhow, it prompted me to research what is acceptable as 'moderation'.  Most sources seem to lean toward 3 or 4 shots in a day, coupled by twice that amount for weekends & special occasions (barbecues, birthdays, anniversaries, election wins, domestic disagreements, any excuse really.)  :)

      However, there would be few who can hold a candle to the rituals practiced by the nation that invented rum, ie the Caribbeans (West Indies)...

      Rhum Drinking Traditions in Martinique

      (courtesy of www.rhumdemartinique.com)

      In accordance with local tradition, rum has earned much respect. During a certain period, there were precise times and names allocated for its consumption. Our elders have conjured up their furthest memories to unveil a few of their secrets.

      Early in the morning, before breakfast, at around 5:00 am, the day began with a décollage" (take-off) or a shot of what was also known as a "mise à feu", (launching) for a bright awakening – a must for starting the day of the Martinican laborer.

      By 9:00 o'clock, it was time for the rum "punch". Generally, this is a shot of pure rum, a "sec" or a "feu" (rum plus zest of lime and 13 sugar cubes). At 11:00 o'clock came the "ti-lagoutte", little drop of rum, a foretaste of the lunch-time `ti punch' aperitif.

      At approximately half past twelve, it was time for tasting the little "ti 50%" at the table with friends, which was supposed to represent half of the preceding drink.

      The ritual was constant and had to be executed by the consumer himself (no one ever served a local rum punch to anyone else): the syrup was poured, the zest pressed after which the rum was added. To stir the mixture (this was called "doucir"), the glass was lifted by the ends of the fingers and gently stirred counterclockwise.

      Once the "punch" was drunk (according to tradition, this had to be done in three sips), it was followed by the "crase", the soothing cold after the heat of the fire. When the "décollage" is followed by a coconut water "crase", it's called the "cocoyage" and if it's a cider-like "mabi" drink, this was a known as "mabyage". More simply, with still or bubbly water, each had his own technique for calming the rum's fire.

      At 3:00 pm, it was time for the "l'heure du Christ" (Christ time) and at 5:00 o'clock came the "ti pape" (little Pope).

      But, already in the beginning of the afternoon the "à toute heure" (at anytime) was drunk, as desired. This was also called the "ti-feu", (little flame) or the "ti-sec" (a shot of dry), or a CRS: Citron-Rhum-Sirop (Lime-Rum-Syrup) for the road. And we mustn't forget the "pété-pied" (break a leg), a veritable kick in the shins which led straight to good nap; then the evening "ti-punch" and finally, the "partante"(final departure).

      Hence, a typical day in the life of a rum enthusiast in days gone by "an tan lontan", comes to an end. In the present day, rum consumption is, of course, much more moderate, but the "ti-punch" still remains an important part of life and culture in Martinique.

    • Óscar Urrutia
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 29, 2007

        <snip>

        Most sources seem to lean toward 3 or 4 shots in a day, coupled by twice
        that amount for weekends & special occasions

        <snip>

        ----- End Original Message -----

        Harry, I'd love to have a list of those sources you mention. My wife thinks
        a couple beers a day makes me an alcoholic. :-D :-D

        Óscar @ Monterrey, México
      • Andrew Bugal
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 29, 2007
          Harry,

          Think I'll move there.

          Regards,

          Bwyze

          Harry <gnikomson2000@...> wrote:
[...]

          Make the switch to the world's best email. Get the new Yahoo!7 Mail now.

        • bbornais
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 29, 2007
            I have the same problem. She says it's because the glass I pour into
            is a couple of litres.

            Whatever....

            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Óscar Urrutia <home_brew@...>
            wrote:

> [...]