RE: [BULK][Distillers] Re: Aging whiskey with oak chips and temperatures

  • coyote
    Message 1 of 17 , Nov 21, 2007

      Distillery OLDER  than U.S.A.-----23  Yrs. Before the birth of the nation.  Its  old  motto was,

                 THE WHISKEY     THAT WARMED   THE REVELOUTION !

                CHECK IT OUT---------------------------------------http://us.geocities.com/ybfowler/legacy.htm

      Yes Toni,

      Your 100% correct - Jack Daniels, located in Lynchburg, Tenn., Not
      Lynchburg, Va (which i live near - and btw, that name give me the
      shudders lol), keeps their barrels in outside buildings relying on
      temperature differentials (as much as 10F in winter to over 100F in
      summer) to age their whiskeys.

      Being the home of the nation's (good ol' US of A) oldest registered
      distillery and placed on the National Register of Historic Places,
      they wont even acknowledge George Dickels as another Tennessee
      Whiskey LOL...

      See my posting - msg # 40939 for the concept behind these drastic
      temperature changes. Have been Drinkin Jacks ol' Number 7 for
      many, many years now (that number is a whole nother story - see if
      ya can figure it out :):):).

      Vino es Veritas and Happy Holidays,
      Jim.

      --- In Distillers@yahoogro ups.com, Toni Smith <tonimarie@. ..> wrote:

      > personally I am not sure on this but I do remember someone on here
      > saying that Jack Daniels barrels are somewhat exposed to the
      elements
      > and get quite large temperature variations. so guys please correct
      me if
      > I am wrong and misread the post a few weeks back.
      >
      > Toni
      >
      > easythreesix wrote:
      > > Question on aging in jars with charred oak chips. First off,
      will the
      > > resulting taste mirror barrel aging? Second, when aging does it
      matter
      > > if the temp goes below a certain temp? On a few distillery tours
      I've