alternate for oak barrels

  • sansindio
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 12, 2007
      Hi, there..!

      I want to inquire what would be the best alternative container for
      oak barrels? Oak trees are not available in the Philippines and I
      hope you can provide me the alternative wood used in wine aging
      containers.

      In our country we have lots of wood to be used but I am inquiring
      your inputs regarding this. I really need the advice of an expert.

      Also, what is the chemical component that is available in oak that
      makes it the best wine aging containers ?

      I am making wine from the fruit of Philippine cherry (terminalia
      edulis )and want the best aging containers in my wine making hobby.

      Presently, I am using glass jugs (1 gallon container)with airlock
      and the wine turn out to be exceptionally great after a year of
      aging.

      I hope you can give me some inputs.

      Best regards,

      SANSIN DIO
      PHILIPPINE ISLANDS
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 13, 2007
        Local barks are added to basi (sugarcane juice) beer. but you do not
        need to oak fruit wines.
        wal
        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "sansindio" <sansindio@...> wrote:

        > Hi, there..!
        >
        > I want to inquire what would be the best alternative container for
        > oak barrels? Oak trees are not available in the Philippines and I
        > hope you can provide me the alternative wood used in wine aging
        > containers.
        >
        > In our country we have lots of wood to be used but I am inquiring
        > your inputs regarding this. I really need the advice of an expert.
        >

        > Also, what is the chemical component that is available in oak that
        > makes it the best wine aging containers ?
        >
        > I am making wine from the fruit of Philippine cherry (terminalia
        > edulis )and want the best aging containers in my wine making hobby.
        >
        > Presently, I am using glass jugs (1 gallon container)with airlock
        > and the wine turn out to be exceptionally great after a year of
        > aging.
        >
        > I hope you can give me some inputs.
        >
        > Best regards,
        >
        > SANSIN DIO
        > PHILIPPINE ISLANDS

      • Larry
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 13, 2007
          At 11:29 PM 11/12/2007, you wrote:

          >Hi, there..!
          >
          >I want to inquire what would be the best alternative container for
          >oak barrels? Oak trees are not available in the Philippines and I
          >hope you can provide me the alternative wood used in wine aging
          >containers.
          >
          >In our country we have lots of wood to be used but I am inquiring
          >your inputs regarding this.

          Basically you're REALLY off-topic in this forum... this is for distilled
          spirits. You might do better to find a winemaking forum.

          The difference between red oak and white oak is the difference between good
          taste and bad. I'd approach woods other than American White Oak carefully,
          if I were you.

          There are oak barrels listed on Ebay, some as small as 1.5 liter or as
          large as 10 gallons, if you search for "oak barrel".

          I don't know whether or not www.milehidistilling.com ships internationally,
          but they carry oak chips and oak sticks
          http://www.milehidistilling.com/category_s/30.htm and oak barrels, too.

          http://www.brewhaus.com also carries them:
          http://www.brewhaus.com/Additives_s/2.htm

          If you Google "Oak Chips" or "Oak Barbecue Wood" or "Oak Barrels" you may
          find there are several sources other than those, also.

          For liquor, all you need are chips to be added to alcohol in a glass jug.

          For instance you can visit http://www.amazon.com and search for "Oak
          Barbecue Wood" to find some.

          or http://www.thehomechef.net/wood_chips.htm or
          http://www.thegrape.net/browse.cfm/4,9016.htm

          Keep in mind that those from Brewhaus and Mile-hi are already
          toasted. Unless you buy from a distilling or winemaking site, the oak
          chips (and maybe barrels) will need toasting.
        • jamesonbeam1
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 13, 2007
            Hi Sansin,

            Being an old wine maker myself, there are very few wines that need
            be aged in oak barrels. Ususally white wines, light rose wines,
            light red wines and fruit wines etc, are aged for about 6 months in
            a glass secondary or stainless steel fermenter and then bottled and
            aged for another 6 months, year to whatever depending on the wine.

            The exceptions to this are the French Nouveau Beaujolais which is
            bottled and sold the same year and some of the heavier red grape
            wines such as Merlots and Burgandys which are aged sometimes on oak.

            The principle ingredient used in most red wines that comes from wood
            aging is Tannin. This can be bought as a powder from any wine
            making supplier and added either during the primary fermentataion
            stage or secondary fermentation stage before bottling.

            I would not recommend aging a fruit wine such as you are making on
            any wood containing too much tannin as this would spoil the initial
            fruit flavors. I usually always let my fruit wines age for no more
            then 8 months to a year before serving, with the exception of my
            apple wines.

            So if I were you - just continue to use your glass secondary
            fermenters.

            "If it aint broke, dont fix it lol...."

            Vino es Vertas,
            Jim.

            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "sansindio" <sansindio@...> wrote:

            > Hi, there..!
            >
            > I want to inquire what would be the best alternative container for
            > oak barrels? Oak trees are not available in the Philippines and I
            > hope you can provide me the alternative wood used in wine aging
            > containers.
            >
            > In our country we have lots of wood to be used but I am inquiring
            > your inputs regarding this. I really need the advice of an expert.
            >

            > Also, what is the chemical component that is available in oak that
            > makes it the best wine aging containers ?
            >
            > I am making wine from the fruit of Philippine cherry (terminalia
            > edulis )and want the best aging containers in my wine making hobby.
            >
            > Presently, I am using glass jugs (1 gallon container)with airlock
            > and the wine turn out to be exceptionally great after a year of
            > aging.
            >
            > I hope you can give me some inputs.
            >
            > Best regards,
            >
            > SANSIN DIO
            > PHILIPPINE ISLANDS

          • jamesonbeam1
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 13, 2007
              "Basically you're REALLY off-topic in this forum... this is for
              distilled spirits. You might do better to find a winemaking forum."

              Ummm Larry,

              Personally I do not believe that this is an "off-topic" subject for
              this forum.

              After all, what is the first step for making ANY type of fruit
              Brandy or Grappa or Grape brandy or, or, or...

              It is distilled from a well made wine - last I heard lol.

              Vino es Veritas,
              Jim

              --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Larry <larry@...> wrote:

              > At 11:29 PM 11/12/2007, you wrote:
              >
              > >Hi, there..!
              > >
              > >I want to inquire what would be the best alternative container for
              > >oak barrels? Oak trees are not available in the Philippines and I
              > >hope you can provide me the alternative wood used in wine aging
              > >containers.
              > >
              > >In our country we have lots of wood to be used but I am inquiring
              > >your inputs regarding this.
              >
              > Basically you're REALLY off-topic in this forum... this is for
              distilled
              > spirits. You might do better to find a winemaking forum.
              >
              > The difference between red oak and white oak is the difference
              between good
              > taste and bad. I'd approach woods other than American White Oak
              carefully,
              > if I were you.
              >
              > There are oak barrels listed on Ebay, some as small as 1.5 liter
              or as
              > large as 10 gallons, if you search for "oak barrel".
              >
              > I don't know whether or not www.milehidistilling.com ships
              internationally,
              > but they carry oak chips and oak sticks
              > http://www.milehidistilling.com/category_s/30.htm and oak barrels,
              too.

              > http://www.brewhaus.com also carries them:
              > http://www.brewhaus.com/Additives_s/2.htm
              >
              > If you Google "Oak Chips" or "Oak Barbecue Wood" or "Oak Barrels"
              you may
              > find there are several sources other than those, also.
              >
              > For liquor, all you need are chips to be added to alcohol in a
              glass jug.

              > For instance you can visit http://www.amazon.com and search
              for "Oak
              > Barbecue Wood" to find some.
              >
              > or http://www.thehomechef.net/wood_chips.htm or
              > http://www.thegrape.net/browse.cfm/4,9016.htm
              >
              > Keep in mind that those from Brewhaus and Mile-hi are already
              > toasted. Unless you buy from a distilling or winemaking site, the
              oak
              > chips (and maybe barrels) will need toasting.

            • nenengstoute
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 14, 2007
                MABUHAY SANSIN. Where do you live? My wife is from Dipolog City. If
                you have family or friengs here in the US,you could get them to send
                you some oak chips in the next BALIK BAYON box they send home. I know
                there are some oak trees in the Philippines,but they're few and far
                between. Personally i toast my own oak,so i guess i'll have to try
                smuggling in some acorns next time we go there. God Bless. MIKE
                --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "sansindio" <sansindio@...> wrote:

                > Hi, there..!
                >
                > I want to inquire what would be the best alternative container for
                > oak barrels? Oak trees are not available in the Philippines and I
                > hope you can provide me the alternative wood used in wine aging
                > containers.
                >
                > In our country we have lots of wood to be used but I am inquiring
                > your inputs regarding this. I really need the advice of an expert.
                >

                > Also, what is the chemical component that is available in oak that
                > makes it the best wine aging containers ?
                >
                > I am making wine from the fruit of Philippine cherry (terminalia
                > edulis )and want the best aging containers in my wine making hobby.
                >
                > Presently, I am using glass jugs (1 gallon container)with airlock
                > and the wine turn out to be exceptionally great after a year of
                > aging.
                >
                > I hope you can give me some inputs.
                >
                > Best regards,
                >
                > SANSIN DIO
                > PHILIPPINE ISLANDS

              • sansindio
                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 2, 2007
                  I live in Cebu city, but I have a farm in southern cebu province
                  particularly in the town of moalboal where I get my winemaking stuff
                  in the city.

                  I already know, where I can get the tannin for my wine making. I
                  already knew this when I was still at my elementary years.

                  This is locally known as TONGOG - powdered bark from mangroove trees
                  known as pagatpat in the Philippines.

                  Your wife also know this tannin powder because it is usually mixed
                  with fresh coconut sap known to us as TUBA or coconut wine.

                  Regards to your wife and kids.

                  cordially yours,

                  sansin

                  --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "nenengstoute" <nenengstoute@...>