Re: Soap- will it distill over?

  • jamesonbeam1
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 6, 2007
      PS. When I was in Paris for a year and scouting out Place de Pigalle
      on Le rive gauche, which is the red light district, I found them
      whores downright nice smelling ;-).

      Salute,
      Jim.

      > Hey thanks Harry,
      >
      > Got it lol. But where ya think perfumes are made - from one of
      > actual legal uses for them pot stills - making essences and
      > fragrents from flowers and stuff in an alcohol base. Maybe I'll
      try
      > some Irish Spring soap in my Corn Whiskey this St. Patties Day for
      > wee bit o' the Irish flavor :) :) :)
      >
      > Erin Go Braugh,
      > Jim.

      > > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "mstehelin" <mstehelin@>
      wrote:

      > > > Hello!
      > > > I want to try freeze distilling wine in a 5 gallon container
      > that
      > > held
      > > > soap. It still smells like soap, even though it is clean. Will
      > that
      > > > smell distill over?
      > > > Cheers
      > > >

      > > Yes, definitely. Alcohol is a SOLVENT.
      > >
      > > Scots distillers used to sometimes use a bar of pure soap to
      > reduce
      > > the surface tension and prevent boilovers in the still. There's
      > > story about there once was a mixup in the soap used a few years
      > > back. All the whisky came out stinking of soap perfume. The
      > stuff
      > > was bagged as being "French Whore's Whisky". See story here...
      > > http://www.maltmaniacs.org/ADHD/mm14a.html#14-11
      > >
      > > ...and a possible explanation further down that page here...
      > > http://www.maltmaniacs.org/ADHD/mm14a.html#14-13
      > >
      > > In any case, it hilites just how adept alcohol is at picking up
      > any
      > > foriegn smells & tastes. It is a solvent, after all.
      > >
      > > Bite the bullet, let the moths out. Shell out a couple dollars
      > for
      > > a new clean container. Don't risk your brew by trying to pinch
      > > few pennies.
      > >

      > > Slainte!
      > > regards Harry
      > >
      > > ps -for Jim
      > > Add this to your collection along with the fair ladies of
      Lesbos.
      > > <BG>

    • jamesonbeam1
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 6, 2007
        What we did was buy 1 gallon water jugs and use them for freezing
        apple jack or try finding a used 5 gallon water jug they use in them
        water coolers - that'll work - or buy one and use the water in your
        next batch. And yes thats how they make perfume.

        Vino es Veritas,