Re: Soap- will it distill over?

    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 5, 2007
      If it was a lemon scented detergent it might even help!? Lemon vodka?
      Unfortunately plastic is slightly porous and difficult to clean. You
      might need to use hot water and sand as an internal abrasive (?)
      wal
      PS I have cleaned a drum that held olives - it would have been
      easier to buy a more expensive one.

      > --- mstehelin <mstehelin@...> wrote:
      >
      > > Hello!
      > > I want to try freeze distilling wine in a 5 gallon container
      that held
      > > soap. It still smells like soap, even though it is clean. Will
      that
      > > smell distill over?
      > > Cheers
      >
      > Very possibly. If there's a slight odor while the container is
      empty, then it
      > depends on how badly it permeates your wine. It could be that the
      wine may
      > overpower it. Hard to say other than "give it a shot." Worst
      case, if it
      > comes through in the stripping run, you may just have to make
      neutral out of it
      > in a combination of redistilling and carbon filtering.
      >
      > Hard to say, but soap perfumes can be persistent. If I have a
      lingering odor
      > that I want to get rid of, I'll fill it with water and a half cup
      bleach per
      > gallon and let it sit for a week or so. Then rinse thoroughly and
      let it sit
      > with clean water overnight.
      >
      > Trid
      > -works well for containers that previously held washes that
      went...well, FUNKY.

    • jamesonbeam1
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 6, 2007
        Hey thanks Harry,

        Got it lol. But where ya think perfumes are made - from one of
        actual legal uses for them pot stills - making essences and
        fragrents from flowers and stuff in an alcohol base. Maybe I'll try
        some Irish Spring soap in my Corn Whiskey this St. Patties Day for a
        wee bit o' the Irish flavor :) :) :)

        Erin Go Braugh,
        Jim.

        > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "mstehelin" <mstehelin@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Hello!
        > > I want to try freeze distilling wine in a 5 gallon container
        that
        > held
        > > soap. It still smells like soap, even though it is clean. Will
        that
        > > smell distill over?
        > > Cheers
        > >

        > Yes, definitely. Alcohol is a SOLVENT.
        >
        > Scots distillers used to sometimes use a bar of pure soap to
        reduce
        > the surface tension and prevent boilovers in the still. There's a
        > story about there once was a mixup in the soap used a few years
        > back. All the whisky came out stinking of soap perfume. The
        stuff
        > was bagged as being "French Whore's Whisky". See story here...
        > http://www.maltmaniacs.org/ADHD/mm14a.html#14-11
        >
        > ...and a possible explanation further down that page here...
        > http://www.maltmaniacs.org/ADHD/mm14a.html#14-13
        >
        > In any case, it hilites just how adept alcohol is at picking up
        any
        > foriegn smells & tastes. It is a solvent, after all.
        >
        > Bite the bullet, let the moths out. Shell out a couple dollars
        for
        > a new clean container. Don't risk your brew by trying to pinch a
        > few pennies.
        >

        > Slainte!
        > regards Harry
        >
        > ps -for Jim
        > Add this to your collection along with the fair ladies of Lesbos.
        > <BG>

      • jamesonbeam1
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 6, 2007
          PS. When I was in Paris for a year and scouting out Place de Pigalle
          on Le rive gauche, which is the red light district, I found them
          whores downright nice smelling ;-).

          Salute,
          Jim.

          > Hey thanks Harry,
          >
          > Got it lol. But where ya think perfumes are made - from one of
          > actual legal uses for them pot stills - making essences and
          > fragrents from flowers and stuff in an alcohol base. Maybe I'll
          try
          > some Irish Spring soap in my Corn Whiskey this St. Patties Day for
          > wee bit o' the Irish flavor :) :) :)
          >
          > Erin Go Braugh,
          > Jim.

          > > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "mstehelin" <mstehelin@>
          wrote:

          > > > Hello!
          > > > I want to try freeze distilling wine in a 5 gallon container
          > that
          > > held
          > > > soap. It still smells like soap, even though it is clean. Will
          > that
          > > > smell distill over?
          > > > Cheers
          > > >

          > > Yes, definitely. Alcohol is a SOLVENT.
          > >
          > > Scots distillers used to sometimes use a bar of pure soap to
          > reduce
          > > the surface tension and prevent boilovers in the still. There's
          > > story about there once was a mixup in the soap used a few years
          > > back. All the whisky came out stinking of soap perfume. The
          > stuff
          > > was bagged as being "French Whore's Whisky". See story here...
          > > http://www.maltmaniacs.org/ADHD/mm14a.html#14-11
          > >
          > > ...and a possible explanation further down that page here...
          > > http://www.maltmaniacs.org/ADHD/mm14a.html#14-13
          > >
          > > In any case, it hilites just how adept alcohol is at picking up
          > any
          > > foriegn smells & tastes. It is a solvent, after all.
          > >
          > > Bite the bullet, let the moths out. Shell out a couple dollars
          > for
          > > a new clean container. Don't risk your brew by trying to pinch
          > > few pennies.
          > >

          > > Slainte!
          > > regards Harry
          > >
          > > ps -for Jim
          > > Add this to your collection along with the fair ladies of
          Lesbos.
          > > <BG>

        • jamesonbeam1
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 6, 2007
            What we did was buy 1 gallon water jugs and use them for freezing
            apple jack or try finding a used 5 gallon water jug they use in them
            water coolers - that'll work - or buy one and use the water in your
            next batch. And yes thats how they make perfume.

            Vino es Veritas,