Power Controller Kit Progress

  • Sherman
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 5, 2007
      http://www.amsyrup.com/sloj/projects/kit/catalog.htm
      It is coming together. I would appreciate any suggestions on the
      documentation. Whenever I get the docs created using real parts I'll
      pack it up as a pdf. I will also post a video somewhere of a completed
      working unit as soon as possible.
    • Trid
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 5, 2007
        --- Sherman <pintoshine@...> wrote:

        > http://www.amsyrup.com/sloj/projects/kit/catalog.htm
        > It is coming together. I would appreciate any suggestions on the
        > documentation. Whenever I get the docs created using real parts I'll
        > pack it up as a pdf. I will also post a video somewhere of a completed
        > working unit as soon as possible.

        Looks like fun. I have all the electronics for a 30 amp controller (actually,
        about 4 of them...spares are my friend) but haven't taken the time to assemble
        them. Did you machine your circuit board or etch it? I was considering using
        aluminum "U" channel as a mounting surface/heat sink combo. I shelved the idea
        as other shiny things caught my attention.

        Cheers,
        Trid
        -beginning tinker mode for electro-etching brass
      • Sven Pfitt
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 6, 2007
          You are showing uninsulated power tab devices, but don't mention
          isolation from the heat sink.

          In addition to the silicon heat sink compound, an insulating spacer and
          insulated mounting hardware should be used for assembly, otherwise you
          will have a short between the two tabs. Unless they are at the same
          electrical potential, this could be a big problem.

          Sven

          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 6, 2007
            One question was about the board production process. I am using
            toner, inkject photopaper, and heat transfer to put the pattern on
            the copper. Removing the paper from the toner with boiling soapy
            water. Etching the copper with half and half by volume 37% muriatic
            acid and 3% hydrogen peroxide in a well ventilated out doors area.
            Second question about insulating hardware, I selected parts with
            isolated, electrically dead tabs. Alternistors use glass passivation
            which insulates to 2500v rms between the thyristor chip and the metal
            base.

            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Sven Pfitt" <the_gimp98@...>