Soap- will it distill over?

  • mstehelin
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 5, 2007
      Hello!
      I want to try freeze distilling wine in a 5 gallon container that held
      soap. It still smells like soap, even though it is clean. Will that
      smell distill over?
      Cheers
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 5, 2007
        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "mstehelin" <mstehelin@...> wrote:

        > Hello!
        > I want to try freeze distilling wine in a 5 gallon container that
        held
        > soap. It still smells like soap, even though it is clean. Will that
        > smell distill over?
        > Cheers

        Yes, definitely. Alcohol is a SOLVENT.

        Scots distillers used to sometimes use a bar of pure soap to reduce
        the surface tension and prevent boilovers in the still. There's a
        story about there once was a mixup in the soap used a few years
        back. All the whisky came out stinking of soap perfume. The stuff
        was bagged as being "French Whore's Whisky". See story here...
        http://www.maltmaniacs.org/ADHD/mm14a.html#14-11

        ...and a possible explanation further down that page here...
        http://www.maltmaniacs.org/ADHD/mm14a.html#14-13

        In any case, it hilites just how adept alcohol is at picking up any
        foriegn smells & tastes. It is a solvent, after all.

        Bite the bullet, let the moths out. Shell out a couple dollars for
        a new clean container. Don't risk your brew by trying to pinch a
        few pennies.

        ps -for Jim
        Add this to your collection along with the fair ladies of Lesbos.
        <BG>
      • Trid
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 5, 2007
          --- mstehelin <mstehelin@...> wrote:

          > Hello!
          > I want to try freeze distilling wine in a 5 gallon container that held
          > soap. It still smells like soap, even though it is clean. Will that
          > smell distill over?
          > Cheers

          Very possibly. If there's a slight odor while the container is empty, then it
          depends on how badly it permeates your wine. It could be that the wine may
          overpower it. Hard to say other than "give it a shot." Worst case, if it
          comes through in the stripping run, you may just have to make neutral out of it
          in a combination of redistilling and carbon filtering.

          Hard to say, but soap perfumes can be persistent. If I have a lingering odor
          that I want to get rid of, I'll fill it with water and a half cup bleach per
          gallon and let it sit for a week or so. Then rinse thoroughly and let it sit
          with clean water overnight.

          Trid
          -works well for containers that previously held washes that went...well, FUNKY.
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 5, 2007
            If it was a lemon scented detergent it might even help!? Lemon vodka?
            Unfortunately plastic is slightly porous and difficult to clean. You
            might need to use hot water and sand as an internal abrasive (?)
            wal
            PS I have cleaned a drum that held olives - it would have been
            easier to buy a more expensive one.

            > --- mstehelin <mstehelin@...> wrote:
            >
            > > Hello!
            > > I want to try freeze distilling wine in a 5 gallon container
            that held
            > > soap. It still smells like soap, even though it is clean. Will
            that
            > > smell distill over?
            > > Cheers
            >
            > Very possibly. If there's a slight odor while the container is
            empty, then it
            > depends on how badly it permeates your wine. It could be that the
            wine may
            > overpower it. Hard to say other than "give it a shot." Worst
            case, if it
            > comes through in the stripping run, you may just have to make
            neutral out of it
            > in a combination of redistilling and carbon filtering.
            >
            > Hard to say, but soap perfumes can be persistent. If I have a
            lingering odor
            > that I want to get rid of, I'll fill it with water and a half cup
            bleach per
            > gallon and let it sit for a week or so. Then rinse thoroughly and
            let it sit
            > with clean water overnight.
            >
            > Trid
            > -works well for containers that previously held washes that
            went...well, FUNKY.

          • jamesonbeam1
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 6, 2007
              Hey thanks Harry,

              Got it lol. But where ya think perfumes are made - from one of
              actual legal uses for them pot stills - making essences and
              fragrents from flowers and stuff in an alcohol base. Maybe I'll try
              some Irish Spring soap in my Corn Whiskey this St. Patties Day for a
              wee bit o' the Irish flavor :) :) :)

              Erin Go Braugh,
              Jim.

              > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "mstehelin" <mstehelin@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Hello!
              > > I want to try freeze distilling wine in a 5 gallon container
              that
              > held
              > > soap. It still smells like soap, even though it is clean. Will
              that
              > > smell distill over?
              > > Cheers
              > >

              > Yes, definitely. Alcohol is a SOLVENT.
              >
              > Scots distillers used to sometimes use a bar of pure soap to
              reduce
              > the surface tension and prevent boilovers in the still. There's a
              > story about there once was a mixup in the soap used a few years
              > back. All the whisky came out stinking of soap perfume. The
              stuff
              > was bagged as being "French Whore's Whisky". See story here...
              > http://www.maltmaniacs.org/ADHD/mm14a.html#14-11
              >
              > ...and a possible explanation further down that page here...
              > http://www.maltmaniacs.org/ADHD/mm14a.html#14-13
              >
              > In any case, it hilites just how adept alcohol is at picking up
              any
              > foriegn smells & tastes. It is a solvent, after all.
              >
              > Bite the bullet, let the moths out. Shell out a couple dollars
              for
              > a new clean container. Don't risk your brew by trying to pinch a
              > few pennies.
              >

              > Slainte!
              > regards Harry
              >
              > ps -for Jim
              > Add this to your collection along with the fair ladies of Lesbos.
              > <BG>

            • jamesonbeam1
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 6, 2007
                PS. When I was in Paris for a year and scouting out Place de Pigalle
                on Le rive gauche, which is the red light district, I found them
                whores downright nice smelling ;-).

                Salute,
                Jim.

                > Hey thanks Harry,
                >
                > Got it lol. But where ya think perfumes are made - from one of
                > actual legal uses for them pot stills - making essences and
                > fragrents from flowers and stuff in an alcohol base. Maybe I'll
                try
                > some Irish Spring soap in my Corn Whiskey this St. Patties Day for
                > wee bit o' the Irish flavor :) :) :)
                >
                > Erin Go Braugh,
                > Jim.

                > > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "mstehelin" <mstehelin@>
                wrote:

                > > > Hello!
                > > > I want to try freeze distilling wine in a 5 gallon container
                > that
                > > held
                > > > soap. It still smells like soap, even though it is clean. Will
                > that
                > > > smell distill over?
                > > > Cheers
                > > >

                > > Yes, definitely. Alcohol is a SOLVENT.
                > >
                > > Scots distillers used to sometimes use a bar of pure soap to
                > reduce
                > > the surface tension and prevent boilovers in the still. There's
                > > story about there once was a mixup in the soap used a few years
                > > back. All the whisky came out stinking of soap perfume. The
                > stuff
                > > was bagged as being "French Whore's Whisky". See story here...
                > > http://www.maltmaniacs.org/ADHD/mm14a.html#14-11
                > >
                > > ...and a possible explanation further down that page here...
                > > http://www.maltmaniacs.org/ADHD/mm14a.html#14-13
                > >
                > > In any case, it hilites just how adept alcohol is at picking up
                > any
                > > foriegn smells & tastes. It is a solvent, after all.
                > >
                > > Bite the bullet, let the moths out. Shell out a couple dollars
                > for
                > > a new clean container. Don't risk your brew by trying to pinch
                > > few pennies.
                > >

                > > Slainte!
                > > regards Harry
                > >
                > > ps -for Jim
                > > Add this to your collection along with the fair ladies of
                Lesbos.
                > > <BG>

              • jamesonbeam1
                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 6, 2007
                  What we did was buy 1 gallon water jugs and use them for freezing
                  apple jack or try finding a used 5 gallon water jug they use in them
                  water coolers - that'll work - or buy one and use the water in your
                  next batch. And yes thats how they make perfume.

                  Vino es Veritas,
                  Jim.