passoa

  • garyamor
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 2, 2007
      I have tried searching everywhere and cannot find anyone who makes/has
      made this passionfruit based liqueur. Anyone know anything about it. I
      have a friend who is keen on having some made to make fancy cocktails.
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 3, 2007

        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "garyamor" <garyamor@...> wrote:

        > I have tried searching everywhere and cannot find anyone who makes/has
        > made this passionfruit based liqueur. Anyone know anything about it. I
        > have a friend who is keen on having some made to make fancy cocktails.

        According to info from here , Passoa appears to be a standard passionfruit juice & citrus infusion liqueur at a low 20% a/vol.

        <extract>
        Made by Rémy Cointreau, Passoã is made with passion fruit juice and citrus. Like other liqueurs, it is sweet and viscous. But where most others start at 45 proof, Passoã is only 40 proof (20% alcohol), so it has no burn, no hint of harshness.
        </extract>

        I see no reason why you couldn't use standard liqueur making methods to do something similar.
        Below my sig is a page from www.danish-schnapps-recipes.com on how to make all sorts of schnapps & liqueurs.  Perhaps you could use some of the suggested methods to come up with a Passao knockoff.  Just click on the relevant links.

        Enjoy.

        Useful information
        about flavoured schnapps

        Vodka infusions

        Alcohol bases for flavoured schnapps
        Alcohol bases for flavoured schnapps are numerous. You can use Danish schnapps, aquavit, vodka or pure grain alcohol. Or other spirits like rum, brandy, gin, tequila, bourbon, Scotch whisky or Irish whiskey.

        Natural flavouring ingredients
        To flavour schnapps, vodka or whatever base spirit you choose, you get the best result, if you use natural ingredients like herbs, fruits, berries, nuts, spices, blossoms, leaves, roots, seeds, barks, etc.

        Jars and bottles - and other equipment
        You don't need much more than some glass jars and bottles to make your own flavoured schnapps. And most of the equipment are things you may already have in your kitchen cupboards and drawers.

        About plant infusions
        To make flavoured schnapps you must first make one or more infusions of the flavours from herbs, fruits, berries, etc. This is done by steeping your plant material in Danish schnapps, vodka or any other base spirit.

        About steeping periods
        The length of steeping periods vary depending on the alcohol content of your spirit, the type and amount of plant material you use, the steeping temperature - and what best suits your taste.

        How to filter your infusion
        The purpose of filtration is not only to make your infusion clear, attractive and appetizing. The purpose is first and foremost to remove all impurities that may otherwise spoil the taste and flavours of your infusion.

        How to store (age) your infusion
        Proper storage of your infusion is extremely important. Or your flavoured schnapps will not reach its full potential. The duration of storage differs from infusion to infusion. But usually it takes 1-6 months, or more.

        Storage bottles and containers
        Used spirit or wine bottles are fine as storage bottles, as long as they are absolutely clean and without any residual flavours. Avoid plastic bottles, bottles with rubber rings, and also painted bottles.

        How to adjust taste and flavours
        After proper steeping, filtration and storage, you may want to adjust the taste and flavours of your infusion to suit your own taste. Learn how to dilute your infusion, enhance the flavours, or save a bland schnapps.

        Sugar and other sweeteners
        True Danish flavoured schnapps should not contain more than 15 grams sugar per liter. But of course, you can add just as much sugar or other sweeteners as you want to suit your own taste.

        Sugar syrup - recipe
        If your infusion is too weak-flavoured you can enhance the flavours by adding a bit of sugar. You can add the sugar directly, but usually it's better to make a simple sugar syrup and add it to your infusion.

        Create your own schnapps blends
        You can create your own unique schnapps blends by blending different infusions. You can create blends with health benefits, blends with your favourite flavours, etc. The flavour combinations are just endless.

        How to keep your flavoured schnapps
        Before and between servings it's really important to keep your flavoured schnapps in a dark and dry place at room temperature. Also, to prevent oxidation it's important to keep your bottles and jars tightly closed.

        Crystal schnapps glasses

        How to serve your flavoured schnapps
        Present your flavoured schnapps in decorative decanters or fine, old bottles. Serve at room temperature to fully enjoy the wonderful and unique flavours and aromas. Never ice cold or even cold.

        How to choose the correct stemware
        Most wine drinkers know that different styles of wines demand different types of wine glasses or stemware. Flavoured schnapps is no different from wines when it comes to suitable drinking glasses.

        About crystal stemware and glasses
        Crystal stemware and glasses have a coarser and more porous surface than ordinary glassware. The coarser surface helps to release and enhance the special aromas of wines, schnapps and other spirits.

        How to care for your crystal glassware
        Crystal stemware and glasses are beautiful, but also softer and more delicate on the surface than other glassware. However, handle your crystalware with care, and it will stay beautiful for many years.

        Blue berry plant with berries

        Picking wild plants - for schnapps making
        Picking wild fruits, berries, herbs and other plant material for schnapps making is fun and very rewarding. But it requires that you really know about the plant material you want to use.

        About plants and constituents
        Taste, flavours and colours from plants come from many active and very complex chemical and biological constituents. These influence our health and well being. They can do good - and they can poison.

        About plant identification
        Plant identification takes time and work. But it's worth it. Because nature offers so many delicious fruits, berries, herbs and flowers you can use to add new taste and flavours to your schnapps.

        About botanical names
        Botanical - or scientific - names are written in Latin and used all over the world. Each botanical name consists of two parts. The first part indicates the genus of the plant. The second name indicates the species.

      • mtnwalker2
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 3, 2007
          I most highly recommend that Danish-Schnapps site. Its where most of my
          neutral goes.
          Today, I am filtering the walnut schnapps I made from immature walnuts.
          I will have about half a gallon which is then further diluted 1: 10, so
          I will have enough to last and age for many years--Unless its as good
          as they claim. Beautiful color.

          I add a bit of glycerin to most of mine.

        • garyamor
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 3, 2007
            -Thanks for the help fellas. I will try and see how it goes