Russian flavored vodkas (19) - SIMPLE VODKA RECIPES

    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 31, 2007
      See msg 40611 for background.
      The following are typical samogon (home distilled) recipes.

      SIMPLE VODKA RECIPES
      1)
      10kg sugar
      500g yeast
      3l milk
      30-40l water
      Agitate mixture for 2 hours. Ferment and distil.
      2)
      5kg sugar
      500g yeast
      1l milk
      1kg peas (crushed)
      15l water
      Ferment and distil.
      3)
      5kg sugar
      500g yeast
      750ml milk
      4 loaves of bread
      25 medium potatoes (shredded & cooked)
      25l water
      Ferment and distil.
      4)
      10kg sugar
      1l tomato paste
      500ml beer
      30l water
      Ferment and distil.
      5)
      75g mastic (Pistacia lenticus)
      12g tormentil root
      12g wormwood
      12g cardamom
      12g cinnamon
      6g cloves
      6g aloe (Aloe vera)
      6g camomile
      2l neutral alcohol (55%abv)
      Macerate crushed botanicals for 1 day and distil. Sweeten to taste.
      6)
      20kg potatoes (shredded & cooked)
      (500g malted grain)
      1kg flour
      (20l water)
      500g yeast
      Ferment and distil.
      7)
      2-4kg berries
      1l neutral alcohol (55%abv)
      Macerate (for 2 weeks) and distil. Use for making a berry liqueur.
      8)
      Redistil a poor quality samogon.
      9)
      3kg millet (cooked)
      100g yeast
      1.2kg flour
      (500g malted grain)
      20l water
      Ferment and distil.
      10)
      see recipe 7)
      11)
      8kg sugar beets (shredded & cooked)
      (100g malted grain)
      5-6kg sugar
      10l water
      500g yeast
      Ferment and distil.
      12)
      see recipe 11)
      13)
      16l sugar beet mash (7kg shredded & cooked sugar beets, 9l water)
      2kg bulgur wheat
      (200g malted grain)
      yeast
      Ferment and distil.
      14)
      10l (sugar beet) molasses
      25l water
      100-150g yeast
      Ferment and distil.
      15)
      30l sugar beet juice
      (200g malted grain)
      200g yeast
      Shred sugar beet, cook and press out juice. Ferement and distil.

      wal
    • Sven Pfitt
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 31, 2007
        Just an observation.

        It looks like they are calling for an awfull lot of yeast in most of
        those recipes, even though they are weak in nutrients. I suspect the
        milk is there for nutrients. Even for a 40L wash I wouldn't expect it
        to need more than 50gr yeast. 10KG sugar in 40L would end up around
        1.101 OG, and in 34L (adding milk and sugar to the 30L water) it
        would be around 1.119 OG. That is like a big Barley Wine which
        requires a little care for yeast but certainly does not justify 500gr!

        Sven

        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 31, 2007
          The yeast used in Russia is old-style baker's yeast - the block type.
          Samogon distillers are in such a hurry that they possibly do not
          ferment to completion anyway - I have added crushed malted grain (in
          brackets) as suggested by the literature to improve the yields.
          wal

          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Sven Pfitt" <the_gimp98@...> wrote:

          > Just an observation.
          >
          > It looks like they are calling for an awfull lot of yeast in most of
          > those recipes, even though they are weak in nutrients. I suspect the
          > milk is there for nutrients. Even for a 40L wash I wouldn't expect it
          > to need more than 50gr yeast. 10KG sugar in 40L would end up around
          > 1.101 OG, and in 34L (adding milk and sugar to the 30L water) it
          > would be around 1.119 OG. That is like a big Barley Wine which
          > requires a little care for yeast but certainly does not justify 500gr!
          >
          > Sven

          > > See msg 40611 for background.
          > > The following are typical samogon (home distilled) recipes.
          > >
          > > SIMPLE VODKA RECIPES
        • Sam Thomas
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 14, 2007
            # 4 (Below) is close to my typical wash. Of course I "Americanize" it.

            Mine looks like this...

            6 Gallons warm water.
            20 Lbs regular sugar
            1 can tomato paste
            1 small slice of baker's yeast. (I don't weight it, but it's about
            this big |---------| off a 1 pound block. Ha!

            Next time I put together a wash I think I may try adding beer instead
            of drinking it all.