Re: some help please

  • bbornais
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 29, 2007
      I don't know that you will save on water, because you will have to
      dilute to drinking strength at some point.

      My middle cuts are usually just above this (around 68%), so I don't
      bother adding water to dilute until after the ageing process, but I
      guess it is up to the distiller. Maybe someone with more knowledge of
      how the commercial distillers age their spirit can add something more
      here.

      Bryan.

      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "mstehelin" <mstehelin@...> wrote:

      > Bryan,
      > You wrote that you Put on oak un-dilluted? Is that right? I thought
      > that the 'correct' ABV for aging was around 60%? If so I can quit
      > looking for distilled water! (I'd rather buy it)
      > Cheers
      >

      > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "bbornais" <bbornais@> wrote:
      > >
      > > The amount of feints you add is up to the distiller. A good
      start is
      > > approximately 3:1 low wines to feints. As you distill more and
      more,
      > > you will eventually build up enough feints to do a spirit run
      > > entirely of said feints. This is considered the best by some.
      > >
      > > Of course, if this is your first run, then you don't have to
      worry
      > > about the ratio, because you have no feints at all!
      > >
      > > This is OK, it is just that your middle cut will be of a lesser
      > > quantity.
      > >
      > > Cheers and good luck,
      > >
      > > Bryan.
      > >

      > > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "kirtgk" <kirtgk@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > thanks bryan.
      > > > this is pretty much what i was after.were im at it is now
      almost
      > > > 11:00pm so ill be running it off tomorrow.
      > > > i do stripping runs and spirit runs for my sugar wash, and add
      the
      > > > heads and tails to the next run to increase yield of the
      hearts.
      > > this
      > > > proves effective there as i get larger hearts volume and the
      cuts
      > > seem
      > > > to be more defined.
      > > > is there a feints to new charge ratio i should use for a
      guideline?

      > > > im hopping to get ian's book for Christmas from the wife.
      > > >
      > > > again thankyou for your help
      > > > kirtgk

      > > 98degC

      > > slow