Re: Samogon still legal (msg. 4048)

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 8, 2002
      "Samogon-making was made an administrative offense in 1985, and still
      in theory carries a fine of up to 60,000 rubles."
      "'I've been making samogon for 40 years', said Vasily Vasiliyevich,
      71, a former kolkhoz official, speaking from a neighbor's house in
      his village 120 kilometres north of Moscow. 'I've gotten used to it.
      We prefer it (to vodka). Why not? I make it in the shed from rotten
      potato mash.'"
      See:
      http://www.friends-partners.org/oldfriends/spbweb/times/
      179-180/samogon.html
      It appears there has been a move to increase the above theoretical
      penalty.

      Walevich