Re: some help please

  • kirtgk
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 27, 2007
      thanks bryan.
      this is pretty much what i was after.were im at it is now almost
      11:00pm so ill be running it off tomorrow.
      i do stripping runs and spirit runs for my sugar wash, and add the
      heads and tails to the next run to increase yield of the hearts. this
      proves effective there as i get larger hearts volume and the cuts seem
      to be more defined.
      is there a feints to new charge ratio i should use for a guideline?

      im hopping to get ian's book for Christmas from the wife.

      again thankyou for your help
      kirtgk

      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "bbornais" <bbornais@...> wrote:

      > There are two types of distillations here:
      >
      > 1) Beer Stripping Distillation:
      >
      > -Transfer the fermented and strained mash to the still
      >
      > -Collect the low wines until the still-head temp reaches about 98degC
      >
      > 2) Spirit-Run
      >
      > -Add some feints to the low wines from the beer stripping run
      >
      > -Transfer to still. Heat to boil, then turn heat down to run this slow
      >
      > -determine the end of the heads phase by measuring the percent alcohol
      > of the emerging distillate. When it drops to 80%, switch to the middle
      > run.
      >
      > -Transfer the heads to a container labelled 'feints'.
      >
      > -When the percent drops to 65%, switch to tails.
      >
      > -Collect tails until about 98degC. Transfer the tails to the 'feints'
      > container.
      >
      > -place all the middle run fractions into a single container and mix.
      > Dilute the middle run to 40-50% if you are drinking immediately or not
      > ageing on oak. If aging, put in barrel or carboy with chips undiluted.
      >
      > Comments:
      >
      > -The real trick here is to collect enough beer strippig low wines to
      > run a spirit run. You have two choices:
      >
      > 1) do multiple beer stripping runs to collect enough low wines
      > 2) use a smaller spirit still than the stripping still
      >
      > -The next trick is doing multiple spirit runs so that you have feints
      > on hand for subsequent batches. This improves the taste and consistency
      > from batch to batch of the spirit produced and gives a better yeild for
      > the hearts cut.
      >
      > -I learned this information from Making Pure Corn Whiskey. Written by
      > Ian Smiley, and highly recommend this book to any who have not read it
      > already.
      >
      > Bryan.
      >

      > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "kirtgk" <kirtgk@> wrote:
      > >
      > > ive made my first all grain mash and it is done fermenting. id like to
      > > still it off today(Saturday). ive read a bunch on this from varying
      > > sources and could possiably do it myself, but id really appreciate
      > > some help. could someone with experience running all grain through a
      > > pot still help me out here and give me a quick step by step here? i
      > > just want to make sure ive understood correctly the temps and
      > procedures.
      > >
      > > BTW im heating w/propane and using a mini still design without
      > packing.
      > >
      > > anticipating a helpful response
      > >
      > > kirtgk

    • bbornais
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 28, 2007
        The amount of feints you add is up to the distiller. A good start is
        approximately 3:1 low wines to feints. As you distill more and more,
        you will eventually build up enough feints to do a spirit run
        entirely of said feints. This is considered the best by some.

        Of course, if this is your first run, then you don't have to worry
        about the ratio, because you have no feints at all!

        This is OK, it is just that your middle cut will be of a lesser
        quantity.

        Cheers and good luck,

      • kirtgk
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 28, 2007
          i appreciate your help and will keep you all posted

        • mstehelin
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 29, 2007
            Bryan,
            You wrote that you Put on oak un-dilluted? Is that right? I thought
            that the 'correct' ABV for aging was around 60%? If so I can quit
            looking for distilled water! (I'd rather buy it)
            Cheers

          • bbornais
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 29, 2007
              I don't know that you will save on water, because you will have to
              dilute to drinking strength at some point.

              My middle cuts are usually just above this (around 68%), so I don't
              bother adding water to dilute until after the ageing process, but I
              guess it is up to the distiller. Maybe someone with more knowledge of
              how the commercial distillers age their spirit can add something more
              here.

              Bryan.